Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery Freelancer Mod Installation Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
(02-14-2022, 06:00 AM)Nick Ashmann Wrote: [ -> ]How to install Freelancer on Apple M1?

Wine. Use winetricks to install DirectPlay to have internet connection. PlayOnMac should be useful as well. See any guide for playing on linux and adapt it for mac. Be warned we take no responsibility because game was made for Windows and intended to run on it, so is the mod. Although I had no issue launching and playing it on Linux.
(02-14-2022, 02:40 PM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-14-2022, 06:00 AM)Nick Ashmann Wrote: [ -> ]How to install Freelancer on Apple M1?

Wine. Use winetricks to install DirectPlay to have internet connection. PlayOnMac should be useful as well. See any guide for playing on linux and adapt it for mac. Be warned we take no responsibility because game was made for Windows and intended to run on it, so is the mod. Although I had no issue launching and playing it on Linux.

And what about the installation on Mac Air 2012? Or is this one rather weak in terms of memory, processor and graphics card?
No idea, not a Mac user. If provided specs I could answer this with relative accuracy
(02-14-2022, 03:47 PM)Groshyr Wrote: [ -> ]No idea, not a Mac user. If provided specs I could answer this with relative accuracy

OK. then it's easier for me to buy windows pc
because neither wine nor PlayOnMac is not installed on my M1
Can't you install them?
these programs install but don't work properly - they don't install or open the files they need.
Or I don't know how to use them right
How about virtual machine with windows 7 or 8 on it for freelancer and other windows software that has no mac adaptation?
I'll try
(02-01-2022, 12:50 PM)Avalanche Wrote: [ -> ]This still needs to be resolved admins/mods. Thanks.

I found the solution by try and error, and its an error that may affect tons of other people.

The fact that most here have already played freelancer previously on the current stystem is affecting the startup.
If you have had Freelancer with any mods installed or played previously, the game has still some files left in the Documents/My Games/Freelancer path.
Settings, Controls, savefiles, and so on...
In my case ive played the crossfire 2 mod, which is most likely incompatible.

Entirely clearing out the whole folder mentioned above has solved this issue for me, as the game will then reset settings and write new files in its place on each startup.
My uneducated guess is that there are most likely incompabilities with old setting files, crashing the game as they are not loadable.

Cant say if its just a modded issue or if its also affecting vanilla players.
I'll probably get hated for this but lets try it.
I cannot be bothered to go trough all the previous posts, so I went back 7 pages and found zero relations to my problem, which is as follows:
followed all the steps on the guide and launched the game from launchpad, everything is smooth until I get to the servers.
Oh wait....
No servers. Not one. Not a single server appears in the Multiplayer tab.
Anyone? Have solid internet, its working, however I did had 2 red messages before accepting the Microsoft message on the opening of Launchpad, something about program files and stuff, but went past it and everything was good.

Cheers for your patience guys, I appreciate it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34