Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Know your admins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
I decided to pop in a bit myself as I like this thread. It brings admins and generally people running this 'place' closer to players...(compliments to loogas)

Quote:1. Your favorite food/movie/hobby
Can't pick just one type of food, but these days I'm inclined to eat more healthy stuff. As if my body tells me "give up all the fastfood junk!" or something.
Movie, again can't really pick a specific one, but I generally like sci-fi movies/series.
Speaking of hobbies, for the past year or so I have been a typical endorphin junkie. Running, Swimming, Indoor-rowing and indoor/outdoor cycling consume all my free time. This spring I started with various competitions to get the taste and I'm trying my 1st triathlon in 3 weeks. Triathlon is the way I'd like to go in future. I have never been as in-shape in my life before. And it feels good, I must admit. I'd like to try the full Iron Man triathlon one day, but hey, that's still a few years of training ahead...

Quote:2. Who do you look up to (can be anyone)?
I look up to Fellow Hoodlum and our server monkey, Cannon. Reasons are my own. But they are so cool!:P

Quote:3. Why did you want to become an admin?
Well first of all I never wanted to be an admin. But let's go to beginning - how did I start to host the server...
One day at the beginning of the year 2007 Wolfpack stopped hosting his server and I saw 2 unsuccessful attempts to create a new one. I decided to offer my help as I do have the infrastructure needed to run a gameserver. At that time I was registered for only 1 year on Discovery Forums and noone really knew me. I offered my help a few times before but never got much attention. This changed after the 2nd attempt to revive the server (Adm. Simon Walker and his 'laptop' server). Things got much worse, for some time there was no server at all. And then I finally received the final GO from admins and in a few days, I put together a server and started running it. At the beginning we were happy for 20 online players. But as the time went by and Discovery became more and more popular we had to upgrade most of the parts (I think only the case remained). Admins put a lot of trust in me at the beginning and I've been trying my best to make this trust worth it for them.

Quote:4. What's the most fun aspect of being an admin?
Well again, I ma not really an amdin, but in the older days me and Victor (Korrd) used to joke about player wipes on public and some reactions were just quite funny.

Quote:5. What's the worst?
From what I know from the others, dealing with sanction reports. No admin really likes to do them.

Quote:4. Your own ideas how to make this a better place for all of us?
I spent some time with bumping up our (Discovery) reputation among other Freelancer communities in the past few weeks. Most of the tensions were caused by misunderstandings and also the way how Discovery Community appeared focused on itself and uninvolved to the rest of FL community. I wanted this to change and it seems better now. There is still some space for improvement though. There are some FL community projects that would deserve more attention, like the roleplay story competition, or PvP tournament, etc.

Quote:5. Write up a sanction report about yourself (you can decide the reason etc.)

I once was very close to cursing on public. It nearly happened during one of the major RP events that took place on this server some may still remember the attempt of the Brotherhood to invade Rheinland. In the story we picked the Yanagi Depot in Sigma 13 as a base of operation and Nova PG came in and started a blockade preventing us to start a scheduled battle with Rheinland Military/Police. The story background took me tons of time to prepare and yes it was a compromise and it had some holes, but it was the only way to do it (Corsairs using a Junker Base for some time). I was so angry at Tony in those days that I nearly lost my control.

The sanction report could have been pretty much anything, starting with openly attacking an admin in his RP character, abusing admin powers while not being an admin (I already had access to remote desktop), illegally blocking an admin from remote desktop, etc.

Luckilly for everyone none of that happened as we managed to solve this during a skype conference led by Doug the Wise (Malaclypse).
Food, most definitely seafood in all it's glorious forms, and living where I do I have the opportunity to
buy it fresh, or even better, go get it myself at least half the year.
Films is difficult, no single one springs to mind. As with Majkp, sci-fi tops the poll, and I'm lucky to have seen
all the ground breaking ones of the modern generation at the cinema on their first release.
I would have liked to have seen more from J.G.Ballard, Brian Aldiss, and something from Alfred Bester, all
of who wrote the books I first read in the genre.
So anything from Arthur.C.Clarke and Ray Bradbury through to the Wachowski Brothers gets watched at
the slightest excuse. Westerns with Clint Eastwood get a look in as well. Old habits die hard ...
I clay shoot, sail, and fly fish when I get away from the computer. Less windsurfing and wakeboarding now,
it hurts just a little more than it used to.
I'm currently helping my neighbour restore a 1930 Wolseley Hornet Special, 1250cc 6 cylinder, 2 seat
sports car. Looking forward to taking that out when it's finished.
People from history include great engineers and designers, Robert Stevenson, Isambard Kingdom Brunel,
John Moses Browning, Tommy Sopwith, Geoffrey De Havilland, Charles. E. Nicholson, Oliver Bulleid ... I could
go on forever, but I won't. You would all be asleep. Love to play the guitar as well as James Taylor does ...
It was a progression from being the first of the global moderators, to putting time back into a fast growing
forum and server, hopefully keeping our reputation as the premier roleplay one, going in the right direction.
Actually being able to answer pertinent questions, and hopefully adding more people to our ever growing
base of good players. Seeing good roleplay in New York always cheers me up no end ...
Sanctions ... Nuff said, no one likes them, no one is happy doing them. Seems they are a necessary evil
at the moment unfortunately, and have made my post count completely unrealistic.
Learning to swear in an inordinate amount of European languages ...
Quote:6. Your own ideas how to make this a better place for all of us?
Making this place better is in the hands of everyone who plays here, it's up to all of you. As admins, we
just have to keep the playing field as level as possible for everyone, so you all enjoy the experience.
Quote:7. Write up a sanction report about yourself (you can decide the reason etc.)
Fellow Hoodlum has been sanctioned for:

Quote:Rule 16.2a: Being a remote desktop whore.
Losing all skype priviledges for a month.

Quote:Of course, both Majkp and Cannon are cool, this place wouldn't run without them
Nice one Looqas ...

Hood

1. Your favorite food/movie/hobby

Food: Raw fish.
Movie: Das Boot - it's just so depressing I love it.

2. Who do you look up to (can be anyone)?

No one in particular.

3. Why did you want to become an admin?

I didn't really but as I was increasingly helping out with keeping the server running I sort of fell into the role. I'm not really an admin in the sense that I deal with rule changes and sanctions, although I will ban cheaters and very occasionally kick extremely disruptive players.

4. What's the most fun aspect of being an admin?

Getting to talk to and know a large part of our community.

5. What's the worst?

Banning people is not fun even if they deserve it. Preparing for the upcoming player wipe has not been enjoyable either.

4. Your own ideas how to make this a better place for all of us?

Many different ways: getting more people into factions (including myself), keep finding the time to write more player commands and above all trying to remind people to have fun in game. The game is meant to be fun and sometimes people forget about this.

5. Write up a sanction report about yourself (you can decide the reason etc.)

It'll never happen - I have not had one and I am not likely to get one.

Upcoming player wipe? Matt, either you are about to die a very painful death, or you are REALLY gonna die a painful death.
No pain, no gain as the saying goes.

If it has to be done, I have no problems with some starflier rampaging.
This gives me an idea for a follow up thread....
Food: A damned good rare steak, or a really nicely cooked pasta carbonara...

Film: The Fountain. (It's beautiful, go watch it now)

Hobby: I write. Song lyrics, plays, short storys... Along with writing comes the reading you have to do for your point of reference. I also share Xoria's love for literature, not pulp fiction. I spent a fair while making short films as well, some silly, some serious... Rock climbing and mountain biking is my form of not sitting in front of a computer, and I love both.

There are far too many to list here, but one particular individual I look up to immensly is a man called Bill, who was for many years my counsellor, mentor, and spiritual guidance. He taught me far more things about how to live and be happy with who I am personally than most of my combined experienes ever could have. Although it makes me sad that I didn't realise it until some time after he died.

God knows...

Well, actualy, I became an admin simply so I could allow other folks to have the same good times I have. Creating so many narratives ans storys, with such a bunch of creative and decent folks as yourselves.

Seeing people you helped out early in their time here becoming well respected and talented roleplayers is always a joy.

We aso get up to a little bit of mischief with each other at times. Virus recently found his admin ship had the forward gun of every gunboat attached to it, along with a heavy mortar on the turret.

Sanctioning people. Each and every time it feels a little bit like you just shot someone's pet dog right infront of their eyes. It's not nice, especialy when you know that there was some alteriour motive for the report being posted in the first place.

I think there should be a little more communication between admins and players, and between players and players as well infact. I'd love to be able to change a few attitudes of competativeness and instill the feeling that we play this game together, not against each other. How I could do that however is beyond me at the moment.

Quote:5. Write up a sanction report about yourself (you can decide the reason etc.)

JihadJoe has been banned for seven days for multiple crimes against PvP training, including self-pwnage with torps, mines and paralyser missiles.

The repeated instances of blue on blue killing due to your ordinance have been noted numerous times and have gone too far. Learn your lesson or people will start to get extremely angry. (Oh god Del and Teschy I can't even say how sorry I am.)

JihadJoe has had his ban extended by a further seven days for his case of severe 'skype tourettes', which has offended multiple people, on many different levels.

It seems I can no longer delay posting on this thread, so here I go:

Airsoft is my current favourite hobby. It's a very recent sport here on my country, since the airsoft move began around 2005.
There are very few people playing it. The biggest match I've heard of was of 63 people playing at the same time (would've been 64 had I been able to assist, but real life stuff kept me out of it, as usual :/).
Regarding my favourite food, most seafood is. I loooove seafood.
As for movies; not much to say. I like LOTR a lot, but I think the movie was quite poor compared to the books...

From DiscoveryGC?
Good question.
Igiss and Michal. I like how they can solve stuff without losing their heads.

Quote:3. Why did you want to become an Admin?
It wasn't my intention on the first place.
Igiss made me board moderator a long time ago, so I could moderate the freelancer section. There was little to do back then, since there were virtually no wrongdoers around. Not even spambots :O!
Then, as I used to be one of the most active members of the community (and also the most level-headed when dealing with community stuff), Wolfpack98 made me a server Admin.
Those were happier times. Sanction reports did not exist, there were virtually no rule breakers, nor modders, nor forum trolls, nothing. All we used to do was to keep the server running. We were a small team back then.
Then, Igiss promoted me to full board Admin, so I could take care of things when he wasn't around, and to give him a hand with user validation. That was two years ago, I think.

Dunno..
I like to see the server's global chat window from time to time. I like to see how RP develops in game and on the forums. I sometimes use it to stop OOC and rule breaking too...

Sanction reports. Definitively.
I no longer do sanction reports, as hell breaks loose whenever I poke my nose on one of those. Instead, I leave the most qualified Admins to deal with them, while I take care of the of other things (although real life stuff is keeping me away from disco at the moment). like forum validations, spambot slaughtering, and replying to a billion trillion PMs a day.

More tolerance, chivalrously and politeness from fellow members.
There is a lot of people who are not polite. Also, there is another bunch who does not care about the server rules and good sportsmanship.
Thanks to those, I sometimes think about a player wipe so those who are not truly interested in the game go away once and for all... <.<

Hmm...
Quote:ADMIN NOTICE: Admin demoted.

The Admin Korrd has been demoted to the rank of forum gimp.
Reason:
  • Not being active enough neither in game nor on the forums.
I would place a sanction report on his cargo hold, but he does not have a ship right now, and I'm not going to restore one from the backups in order to do so.

Admin Fellow Hoodlum will take his place as a board moderator, and from now on, the only applicable sanction will be a perma-ban for whatever you do.

Have a nice day:D

Although I would have to be promoted again so I can fix his Admin sword from time to time, as he uses it soooo often that the blade does wear off way too fast... ;)

Yeah, i know. The post sucks. But its the best I could come up with considering I didn't sleep last night....
Dboy is canadian, Heretic!!!!!
The summer has been busy and seen some chances in the upper echelons. I updated the original post in colors.

Anything else I might have missed? Strangely I keep thinking about the May 2008 when Hoodlum went AWOL. I'm intrigued still as to the cause of it, but as I said in the post, we don't need to know unless his willing to tell us.

Another thought. Take a look at Joe. He's a model for all of us. Apparently he has a life (based on the pictures he regularly posts in the how do you look like thread with supposed friends. They could be just random people) and being all over the server playing and admining. A true example of efficiency at work people! He might gain more speed since he admittedly has cut back the drag somewhat by cutting some of his hear.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13