Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A short survey - How did you find Discovery?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Many moons ago, I got into Freelancer. I think it might have been around '07. I remember, Starlancer was one of my favorite games as a young 'un (after Civ 3, my first) and my dad got me Freelancer later on. I played it for a while, had fun. I wanted to use cap ships and do more so I got one of the early versions of Disco, played in open single player, took a peak at the server once and then didn't play Freelancer for months. Eventually I got back into it, joined =CR=, stuff happened, then I went to Boarding School and didn't have any more time for it. I still poke my head in every now and again, for a summer or a break.
I play Freelancer about year and half ago. I like this game ,the main reason was awesome story. I want to play MP ,but i think : This is old game ,there won't be some MP with many players . Then I googled this great MP Mod. Thanks for this mod :-)
well long ago were freelancer was well.... somekind of fresh i surft the net and found a mod with new ships.
(well much has changed since than to copyright stuff)
Played it a bit online ( didnt join the forum back than) and i did make a lan server on the "Fachhochschule" network. After that there was a bit of time out for me (warcraft), than after a while i looked up the mod side and gave me a push to play again that was 2012. ^^
We have a friend who lives a long way off. We occasionally get together to do some Traveler RP, but wanted more regular gaming, even if it was just over the internet. He went looking for a space sim and sent us copies of freelancer. The two of us trained for a bit on the single player and then joined our friend on the Disco server. Eventually our friend's brother joined in.

Now I'm the only one left playing. The reason the others give for stopping is pirates took the fun out of it for them. I can see that, the lag over here in the US means it's harder to PvP effectively. (Or, at least, I've found it so.) Being on the dead side of PvP *all* the time can be disheartening.

I think a fair number of people come and go simply because the PvP is forced on them when all they really wanted was to fly neat ships and RP with friends. Which isn't to say that Disco is bad, but simply that they didn't find what they came for.
I discovered Discovery on The Starport a couple of days ago and decided to give the game another go. I've played the SP game a long-long time ago, and after that on several MP servers (Asgard was one). I've always been weak in PvP so I hope that the rules of RP here will make it a bit more bearable.
I had finished the single player campaign in unmodded and didnt want to stop playing, so i went in ModDB and looked for stuff, got lucky and here i am...
Completely accidentally found this video after finishing the Vanilla storyline. Fell in love with both song and game.

I suddenly had this craving for a Space Simulator.I tried several games but didn't like enough most of them ,untill i found Star Citizen which is far from finished.Turns out the developer is the same and it's a ''continuation'' of the old Freelancer i have played many times years ago and .(still on top 10 of my favorite games)
However i have been spoiled during the years by mmorpgs and all kinds of mmos so i couldn't play alone in a static universe.
So i proceeded to type active/populated Freelancer server in google and everywhere i went, all directions pointed towards Discovery.
I don't care very much about the mod itself and it's story/lore expansions,some of them i really don't like(i have a neutral stance towards most of it), even though there are things i really like ,for example being able to drive Transports,the invention of Stabiline ,the expanded ship choice in general,the fact that we are supposed to RP and other little things.Also it is well polished mechanics wise, and is not a total conversion mod,which i like.

What i really care about is that this is a Freelancer online server that is *active and populated*.

So yea,that's why i am here.
I love flight sims I have almost every kind of flight sim out there from Privateer, X3, EVE, StarWars all editions and many others. My system is flight oriented.
I like Discovery it's a well rounded game, the people playing are very helpful so is the admin staff and the rewards can be great. The ones who come and go don't understand what real RP is, usually I don't do RP this is really the first game I have enjoyed playing with others. So the ones if they walk away or are kicked off, the ones who piss off to many in the game that is all fine by me go back to WOW. We don't need ya here.
Back in 2004, when I still did not have a PC of my own, I used to frequently visit an internet cafee (Much to the dismay of my lunch money at the time), and I used to play games you would expect us to play back at the time. CS, GTA III, later Vice City and such. I would always sit at the same PC, where I had my progress saved, obviously.

Then once I ended up having to use a different one, since my usual one was occupied. And there I saw this very strange icon on the desk.

Well, the rest is history.

I ended up reinstalling the thing during one of my nostalgia trips back in the day, but since the global servers had died at the time, I went on looking for alternatives to multiplayer. Disco was on the top of the list at the time, so here I am.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20