Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Bomber Balance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
I've said this before, asked for changes, and was dismissed as a seal-clubber by people who admitted they did not fly bombers at all when I proposed to revert the SNAC change to have some sort of fighting chance, much like literally every other bomber main did.

Currently, bombers do well against capitals that aren't geared for anti-snub, but as soon as a fighter comes in, you're boned. Really boned.

You have 4 guns available to you, and bombs (scorchers, neutralisers) that take up 2 of those slots are absolutely necessary in terms of damage efficiency against capitals. Even if you sacrifice your bomber damage potential against caps to get more guns, you get the lovely choice between:

A) hard to hit energy cannons that you'll struggle to hit, let alone deshield anyone decent with
B) EMP cannons - what are you gonna do, drain their powercore?
C) Scatters that you will simply never be able to use as anyone decent will just stay out of range and abuse your lack of mobility
D) Chainguns with stupidly expensive and limited ammo - this is probably the only decent option available

Hitting fighters with a nova or scorcher is a pipe dream - it's really easy to get out of a bomber's way. You need to hit 10+ SNACs to kill a fighter, which is unrealistic for so many reasons that it'll turn into an essay. Coronas aren't even worth talking about.

So what are you supposed to do, really? Use mines "because you're tankier"? What if the other person isn't a new player and knows how to avoid mines? The only thing I've found worth your time was to end it as quickly as possible so you can move on to do something else - it's not even worth trying as even the most experienced, try-hard bomber pilots can't take on someone below average in a fighter.

I'd invite you to use an armourless gunboat against an SHF with ASURAS. Your gunboat only has two primary turrets and can't turret steer. That's how it feels playing bombers whenever a fighter gets on you right now.

I've left this game over a year ago because I've lost interest in playing anything in-game as fighters were too fast and hectic (slow reaction times), bombers were an exercise in frustration and anything bigger was too expensive.

But why am I even talking, I'm just a seal-clubber. shrug
Ramke it's just time to admit that bombers are dead as class and move on as many people suggest. Balance dev is awful and killed a thing. Happens. Buffing bomber main guns to the level where they are actually useful is OP and will get reverted, undebuffing them won't change anything. It's a dead end.
Its pretty obvious at this point the rock-paper-scissors balance system has been sadly confining for years. Its all to hand victory to the VHF 90% of the time. In almost any battle situation the outcomes are determined by ship classes involved right away.

And basically people are being funneled to flying nerfed bombers to even try to take on a transport, so thats really good news for fighter flyers.

All we really need are LF's, light fighter-bombers, heavy fighter-bombers, and SHF's.

Just put torps back on fighters or fighter guns on bombers and things would even out. I'm sure they wouldnt purposely favor their favorite ship class would they? I know the philosophy is to trick someone into to flying bombers so they make an easy piniotta, but imagine if the playing field was evened and you could try to fly a fighter/bomber at the same time, defend yourself well and hit hard against larger ships. Everyone would take the same option, and victories would go to the skilled more, not just those that cling to the same ship class over and over to gaurantee easy victory against a purposely handicapped class.

If bombers here were like WWII bombers, and fighters were much slower turning in comparison, like WWII fighters, that would be a whole different story. I am totally cool with stiff maneuvering bombers, as long as the fighters go almost as slow turning too so its not a turkey shoot. Go play a WWII combat simulator and notice the slower turn rates make chases more reasonable and slower. Those bombers are more like our GB's, and you'd slowly turn while turret steering to shoot back at fighters. It would be cool if bombers were like that, slow but can fire all around with a bunch of chainguns or 8.33's. Only works with slower fighters though.
TL;DR of this Post

"We never complained about Bombers being Bad to Caps but after we nerfed their ability to kill snubs they magically Lack dps and are a dead class"
I don't get a thing:

Why bombers like the Waran - which they could have 6 forward-facing guns - do have 4 of them aiming forward and 2 aiming backward?

I mean, it makes no sense at all for me.
Just make them all aim forward to make bombers somewhat decent to fly at least?
(01-29-2020, 08:08 AM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]TL;DR of this Post

"We never complained about Bombers being Bad to Caps but after we nerfed their ability to kill snubs they magically Lack dps and are a dead class"

Probably because while getting less anti cap dps you still had anti snub dps. And it was fairly fun anti snub dps.

I don't really mind either way. I don't see what the goal of the team is currently anyways.
SNAC wasnt really DPS though Just an Instant kill

And scatters were stupidly broken and needed the nerf
(01-29-2020, 08:08 AM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]TL;DR of this Post

Yeah you can remove one wire from the car and it will stop working. You may keep arrogantly ignore what people who actually used to fly bombers say and talk about more abstract things. It won't stop people from either leaving class or game. As arguments if the anti snac side are deeply hypocritic and hardly convincing.
Revert the SNAC change and remove the mine slot from bombers. They will be worse against snubs over all.
If not a SNAC revert, then why not something else, like buffing bomber guns? Faster projectile speeds, damage buffs, ROF buffs, that sort of thing?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17