I'm skeptical that we should post good routes- its a bit of a spoiler, isn't it? Although, I suppose anyone using the wiki is looking for spoilers anyway, and it'll get people off the diamond run. Before fully populating it, though, I think we should do some discussion either here or on the forums. -Sovereign
I agree that this is something of a spoiler, and would rather have only well-known routes - i.e. routes between houses that should be 'public' in character.
- Wrathkin 13:31, 14 May 2008 (GMT)
The whole column is redundant with the Common Trade Routes page, so I'd say get rid of it.
Nodwick 13:40, 14 May 2008 (GMT)
Agreed. Plus, a lot of commodities have multiple good trade routes...
Sovereign 20:06, 27 May 2008 (GMT)
I suggest to use the Common Trade Routes column for attributes like contraband or perishable instead of putting those things in the name column.
0815fips 17:05, 27 Oct 2008 (GMT+1)
The routes are also going to change in 4.85. So these are redundant. I think people need to find their own routes. Otherwise we could be encouraging powertrading etc...
-Chovynz 15:17, 27 October 2008 (MDT)
If nobody declines my idea, i will do that this week. And I will try to add all linked commodities.
0815fips 12:33, 29 Oct 2008 (GMT+1)
Go for it. I have no problem with removing the routes. If someone seriously objects we can always undo. However..I would ask that anyone who DOES object to the removal of the commodity routes discuss and give us good reasons why they think it should be there. Currently the reasons for removing are 1)they will be changed in 4.85 and may continue to change in the future hence putting information that changes often make for redundant information, 2)having those particular routes on the wiki is a thing best "discovered for yourself". If you want a "walkthrough", chances are you are powertrading, which is something strongly discouraged at Discovery RP server. 3)there is already a trade page, as mentioned above. Use that.
-Chovynz 17:04, 30 October 2008 (MDT)
I've been looking at this page. I'm wondering if we could come up with a check list table. One column would be "perishable", one would be "rarity"?, and some others could be legal status in the various houses. This means that we could get rid of "Perishables" in the commodity name as well. Perhaps something like the below: (Note: There are two different options in the available from; There is people group and general area. There are also two different options shown in the Legal status columns. Y/N or ill/leg. Let me know which is better.)
"The LB/KU/BR/RH/GA columns are to show in what house each commodity is illegal. '*' Designates special conditions."
|Commodity Name||Perishable||Rarity||Available From||LB||KU||BR||RH||GA|
|Cardamine||N||Common||LB, RH, BW||Y||N||*||Y||N|
Chovynz 18:50, 13 December 2008 (MST)
Currently the locations mine-able commodities can be found is out of date. I have contacted Dusty asking for an updated list, this may take a while though as he is currently under some fairly sever time restraints. Until then should we add a disclaimer to the locations saying they may be inaccurate? -Tazuras 01:28, 22 January 2010 (MST)
Corsair/outcast faction inclusion
So, do you think they should be on the table or not. State why, using concise logical arguments please.
- I think it could be useful for factions that can deal with Corsairs and Outcasts (--Moebus 10:20, 5 March 2010 (MST)).
I notice that the commodities status reported on the chart are not consistent with the informations found on the Forum (Laws of Sirius). May I ask what informations have been used to fill the chart? --Moebus 10:20, 5 March 2010 (MST)
- That was information you provided on the Trade Rules page. I simply copied it over to here, since it fits here, and it didn't fit that title. --Alex 10:44, 5 March 2010 (MST)
- I guess something went wrong during the copy, but I'll fix that. --Moebus 14:22, 5 March 2010 (MST)
I suggest we use Restricted1, Restricted2, Restricted3, Restricted4 (and so on) in the chart and detail each restriction below the table. I think it s important to provide complete informations to users of the chart: if a commodity is restricted users should be able to know if a license is required (and where to get it) or if only some factions are allowed to transport it (list authorized factions). (--Moebus 10:28, 5 March 2010 (MST))
I've just realized Jump Gate and Trade Lane Parts are restricted in at least some systems (according to Ageira Technologies ID) but I am not able to find clearly on the discoforum who is allowed to transport it and where... if anyone has informations about it, I'll be glad to hear it. --Moebus 12:00, 19 May 2010 (MDT)
I've made a modification on Jump Gate and Trade Lane Parts because a lot of people are transporting this commodity without knowing it is forbidden. I hope this will help to clarify this problem. --Moebus 12:21, 20 June 2010 (MDT)
I added an outdated tag to the page, fixed one item's value in one house, but the page needs much more attention.
I'd also like to ask whether there should be an inclusion of Nomad Materials as a commodity to include Nomad Brains and the like.
And was the removal of the fine-print superscript system discussed somewhere? Although I think referencing the fine-print to the forum is fine, the only problem is that thread is crowded to say the least and the commodities page needs to serve some value in rectifying that. So, correction of legalities, inclusion of Nomad items, fine-print in restrictions to a relevant extent are my points raised.
Champ 05:02, 30 October 2011 (UTC)
- Whole text of wall regarding legality was removed due to idea of people finding information themselves and not blaming wiki later.
- And as you see this is regular commodities plus mineable ones, which are for trading to NPC stations.
- I was even thinking of removing legality collums alltogether and change them with someting else.
- Arthur 05:39, 30 October 2011 (UTC)
- I think it is really important to keep the legality status of each commodity in each part of Sirius because it can really affect the design of trade route. It is true there may be mistakes due to recent updates of the Sirius Laws but it s also true that most of the information about legality is valid. Maybe we should add a date of the last update of the commodity page so people could more easily check the changes in the Sirius laws that have occurred after this date. Additionally, it would be great if law makers would be involved in the update process. Ideally, they could update the commodity page when implementing a change in Sirius Laws. Otherwise they could still post a note on the commodity page saying a change in their House Laws has been made and provide the date of the change. Like this, the validity and the use of the commodity page would be improved.
- --Moebus 11:56, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
- People need to learn how to search for information themselves. And most of law-makers sdon't care for wiki at all.
- Arthur 12:43, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
- I fear people are too lazy to take the time to read the Sirius Laws and so I think that removing the legality information stated on the commodity page will increase the numbers of smugglers. Considering the commodity page is the 11th most viewed wiki page I guess we should ask the users of the disco community about this important change. However, I've got the feeling you are in charge of this page, so I let you the responsibility to collect the users opinions. Anyway, I need to know the legal status of each commodity in Sirius, so I will keep on collecting the information to make a commodity chart and if it is not welcome on the wiki I will keep it for myself.
- --Moebus 13:58, 3 November 2011 (UTC)