Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My opinion on why the game has constantly been losing players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
A year on, my opinion as to why things are the way they are:

1) The economy for the game sucks. It's so unvaried, lacks diversity, and thus you get everyone doing that one single route that's only slightly better than everything else. I also think balancing contraband as not-contraband if it can be legally hauled by a group is also part of this problem. Lastly, making money is way too easy. The community is flooded by it (I haven't even needed to trade except once after my ban). There's no longevity to trading whatsoever, as once you get a 5ker doing a couple trade routes every several months can set you up fine. I think the buy/sell price of all commodities should be doubled, and the prices of all ships and equipment scaled up as well to compensate.

2) Balance for the sake of balance that squeezes the fun out of the game. The BC changes were definitely good, mechanically, but I can't help but find BCs just so boring compared to how they were in the past. Sure they were worse as some say, but it was fun.

3) Lazy or Inactive Leaders. 95% of Omicron activity is pretty much just me/Core| pushing for it whilst no one else in the region really applies any effort and expects us to do all the work. This just isn't sustainable. I can't help but feel like if I disbanded Core the region would die (or at best encourage people to pull their finger out and do some work). Generally speaking, there's a lot of leaders failing to reach their potential - if they have any at all - and it's throttling and stagnating both their faction and region.

4) Real toxicity that the Staff isn't dealing with whilst focusing on trivialities. There should seriously be admin action of some kind over the recent Kepler POB stuff. That sort of thing is exactly why people are leaving the game: players get free reign to make others upset and suffer no consequences for it. If the lightning-quick action the staff showed when banning Omi and Shiki recently could be applied to things that matter, this place would be much healthier.

5) Factions and Players realising that in the scope of the game as a whole, their roleplay doesn't really matter, and things are too frequently pre-determined or the players just make zero impact. This doesn't help set-up a living, breathing universe, and Sirius ends up feeling incredibly stale.

6) Dead Universe. All those people hoarding Sci-Data - why aren't they using it to create events? Leaders who don't use their perk points at all, why not at least use them to request events of some kind? Currency of any sort aside, why don't more people try to organise things to keep the game fresh? Outside of this, I feel every House should be constantly at war with another. Military leaders could try to be a bit more warlike and get things rolling.

7) Players have lost interest in the Gallic War. We need to shift the focus of the main story to something else.
To Sanctions post:
Again, that large gap for supossingly RP server. i have nothing against have pain in game which from begin was made for skill competition.
BUT. Sign above that server say that supposed be RP. Not a Discovery Tournament server.
Im personally went to here for RP, and much of new players too. Not for PvP encounters.
Another thing, due small player base, skill players very good packed and not often in really try to balance, logging for another side. There is no blame, but it make things for newbie harder, because they need sit in conn all the time or be raped constantly in game, even if they just want play RP for military faction.

Upd: To Lyth post, agreed with most of points
Wew, I never read so much stupid things tbh. I didn't see people rp'ing ingame for a long time, when I started playing here the place was full of people sitting somewhere interacting with each other. Sure it is easy to drage the problem away and point to someone else, its always the bad bad pvpwhores, pvp aces, I met quite alot people here. There was always this problem here, "oh I cannot get good enough as you I rather stop doing what I'm doing". You guys don't want to put effort into something that takes more time than simply writing a story or a Bio for a charatker or something else. Sure I understand it needs some sort of creativity, but I somehow encountered a small number of really rare charakters. However I play this game for around 12 years. pvp is a thing that takes a ton of time, practise everyday for a few hours at best, not everybody was born a pvp ace. Look for someone who is willing to train people, start interacting with people instead of running away, logging off and logging another charakter.

I come to read to disable "conn" more and more in the past time, what will happen if you disable it? I doubt it will change something, people will make a new connecticut, to pvp and train their skills. You're talking about pvp like its a crime, what do you expect people to do? Sitting there throwing bad words at each other like dogs at a fence? WE all are part of this community and the only thing you do is to tell "pvp aces are bad, ban conn, so we can rp again" yet people don't rp ingame anymore, it basically became Discovery Forumlancer. Stop whining around and get yourself together. Stop pointing at others and tell them they're bad, work at yourself.
But that RP based mostly on conflicts, do you remember? And Vanilla Freelancer was 99% PvP-based.
Why expecting peaceful problem solving while playing as military? You have more factions that imply more harmless game style, why not going for it.
(07-10-2018, 02:52 PM)Sanctions Wrote: [ -> ]But that RP based mostly on conflicts, do you remember? And Vanilla Freelancer was 99% PvP-based.
Why expecting peaceful problem solving while playing as military? You have more factions that imply more harmless game style, why not going for it.

Did I say you have to join military factions? No I didn't. I don't know if you played Vanilla, but from my experience I can say that pvp only made 60% of the gameplay. There were always people who played a more economy playstyle.
I rather have people memeing in Conn than anywhere else, to be honest. That, and there is a certain change of behavior of people the moment they enter/leave conn. That's good the way it is. Disabling Conn will either lead to people logging less, logging on other servers for simple conn experience or just doing conn-stuff outside of Conn. Conn is a feature for a certain playergroup. Many people make use of it. Why would you want to take it away when it solves nothing?
(07-10-2018, 02:55 PM)Harrow Prime Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2018, 02:52 PM)Sanctions Wrote: [ -> ]But that RP based mostly on conflicts, do you remember? And Vanilla Freelancer was 99% PvP-based.

Did I say you have to join military factions? No I didn't. I don't know if you played Vanilla, but from my experience I can say that pvp only made 60% of the gameplay. There were always people who played a more economy playstyle.
My reply was addressed to Anton.
And grinding credits in vanilla was pure autism as there was nothing you could spend them on.
I think constant important storyline changes will make this game look like its alive. We have been playing this game for like years without a new house war. If you look at Rheinland and Kusari you'll see what i mean. Both was more active when they were at war with Gallia/Bretonia/Liberty. What killed them? Peace. If houses go peace with eachother that will kill the activity its like no reason to buy their military ships

There is pirate factions with bigger ships but there is one problem, Pirate factions not going to get enough players to face Military,Freelancer,Bounty Hunters etc. Why do you think Blood Dragons/Rogues/Molly doesnt want to log? House always getting more ships and people don't want to get ganked.
Yeah RHA logging more ships, of course they will they have more stuff to do than Rheinland Military. RM basically doesnt have anything to do than wait for RHA/Coalition to raid their systems.
After Devs forced RM and Liberty to make peace, people decided to sell their ships but most of them keep the ships in case something happens but nothing happened for like years, of course Rheinland will die.
Best example is Kusari

I think storyline should change more often, atleast each month something serious should happen not in 2 years
(07-10-2018, 03:13 PM)Sanctions Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2018, 02:55 PM)Harrow Prime Wrote: [ -> ]

My reply was addressed to Anton.
And grinding credits in vanilla was pure autism as there was nothing you could spend them on.

And here its not pure autism? With 100mil per hour? Is there something you could spend them on? If you not rather interested in capital ships? Or some unessesary codeweapons? You had to farm your weapons in vanilla and not just to restart and drawcash from your bank and buy your full equipped ship. Ask people with 5bil + on their banks why they keep collecting money, what are they saving for? Right nothing, because there is nothing to get except caps and expensive codeweapons.
(07-10-2018, 12:05 PM)Sanctions Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-10-2018, 10:34 AM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]If someone is to much of a nuisance ,i just log off character and switch to one in diferent system , or i crash in planet in worst case , thats how i deal with pvp whores who want kill at any cost
Poor behavior. That way you will never succeed nor be respected.

Why the hell i need respect of this kind of people ? ( see image in spoiler for example ) :

Poor behavior from them deserve poor response from me . I will crash in planet every time when i encounter this kind of people , poor behavior from me or not .

People who show respect will receive respect as well .
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19