Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My opinion on why the game has constantly been losing players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Most of the newbies are ridiculous themselves, to be honest. Swearing in system chat, never reading the rules, and easily getting annoyed by what they perceive as unfair, even though what happened to them is usually actually perfectly acceptable. Most newcomers are not ready to be nice, be one of us, and need to spend time trying to be integrated into this community.

The kind our community requires is different than the usual gamer. You all talk about the established players running the new players off, but it's usually just that the newcomers realize the kind of gameplay here is not what they can enjoy. Discovery, being roleplay, never catered to the run of the mill player. They'll get bored here.

You want to be friendly for everyone, you let go of the roleplay aspect. The usual player thinks the concept of roleplay is ridiculous. I have been that before, being a part of many freelancer servers before I had to show up back in Discovery because no other server could survive the eventual lack of population of freelancer players. Discovery had always been a joke for us. It was boring, stupid, something to make fun of about. Do you roleplay? What are you, twelve?

I realized I liked roleplay only after I comitted myself to Discovery back in 2k9. It's not for everyone though. Everyone I knew from the other servers except did not think playing in Disco is worth it. That's hundreds of people who liked freelancer but did not like Discovery's concept.

Yet this is also what kept Discovery alive this long, and how this server outlived all the others is the proof of that. The game itself is boring, with outdated graphics and a clunky gameplay. There's less and less people who think playing this game is worthy of their free time, and this wont change. Disco will die off soon like the other servers and there's no way you can change it. Enjoy it while/if you still can.
Weskers ban.
(01-01-2018, 12:43 AM)Harrow Prime Wrote: [ -> ]Weskers ban.

Ah yes. Killing POBs by using exploits surely brings long-term activity afterwards.
Disco died when you got rid of the fun people.

It's just a game. Go outside.
Don't forget it's very cliquey. You have people on here just in their own little "veteran" group, usually dominating the forums, talking about things that a lot of people would have no idea about. There's probably about 20 terms on this forum that I do not know the meaning to and you don't feel welcomed. I've been here on and off since 2008, but I was never going to waste my life away on it so I never got that "veteran" status which most forum-active people seem to be at.

Also NPCs are so weak. What's the point of the game? Everyone is so strong compared to the average NPC that they do absolutely no damage to you. We need stronger NPCs, because to be honest you're never going to be surrounded by players all the time and the NPCs need to provide a serious challenge to your character and do some damage. Then maybe people can actually start doing things and trying to survive in this dark wilderness instead of flying around waiting for a player to come around for you to pirate.

Also as I said, most people who have been here have been here a long time, that obviously means they have some mad skills and could absolutely demolish any new player, I wouldn't feel very welcomed if I came here as a newbie and just got killed every time I went into PvP, realising that to build those skills would take years of experience. Just be gentle, take a step back, breath, it's just a game and maybe just think of PvP as more fun, rather than a serious fight to the death that requires all your skills.
Quote:Then dont use restart?

Point is not about me using or not using it, but that everybody use it, and thus, since thanks to restart, exploring element is nearly Completly eliminated, element that is VITAL to spacefight/EXPLORE game type.It is like removig fighting element from fighting game, or removig driving element from driving game,it make no sense, unless if it is game suicide atempt .

It is like you open all areas in Final Fantasy and get airship from start, along with you are lv 100 , all is open at begging and you can finish game in just few hours, since there is no need to visit starting low level dungens. What to do then?

Million Credit question (select one it you think it is right):
What the hell happen to exploring game that loose explore element?

1.it become better exploring game.
2. It become boring very fast.

Such game is left with only pvp element, perfect for pvp whores, who want ways to faster kill newbies, at any time, at any place, with fast restart! Bad for everyone else , which thus LEAVE, either becouse game become to boring, or tired from pop whores trolling around.
See connection now, when i explain it in detail? Oh the signature seems so fitting now...
(01-01-2018, 01:00 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]

Point is not about me using or not using it, but that everybody use it, and thus, since thanks to restart, exploring element is nearly Completly eliminated, element that is VITAL to spacefight/EXPLORE game type.It is like removig fighting element from fighting game, or removig driving element from driving game,it make no sense, unless if it is game suicide atempt .

It is like you open all areas in Final Fantasy and get airship from start, along with you are lv 100 , all is open at begging and you can finish game in just few hours, since there is no need to visit starting low level dungens. What to do then?

Such game is left with only pvp element, perfect for pvp whores, who want ways to faster kill newbies, at any time, at any place, with fast restart! Bad for everyone else , which thus LEAVE, either becouse game become to boring, or tired from pop whores trolling around.
See connection now, when i explain it in detail? Oh the signature seems so fitting now...

I don't think newbs would think of the possibility to /restart [Oh yes thats the faction that fits to me I want to play because I know what this faction is about and their gameplay fits to me aswell...]
And strong NPCs and more NPC patrols were better
I sort of agree with the weak NPC's I can just go afk in deep space and I know nothing will happen to my ship if there are no players around.
(01-01-2018, 01:00 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: [ -> ]

Okay, but who said this is exploration game? Freelancer is "Space trading and combat simulator". Disco is mod expanding upon that with our community adding roleplay to it. Which in turn, does not make this game exploration, because you have limited amount of things to explore and once you done so, there is no reason to repeat it for every single ship you have. Now if NavMap would be shared across ships on same account, now that would be awesome.
(01-01-2018, 10:27 AM)Owen Wrote: [ -> ]Don't forget it's very cliquey. You have people on here just in their own little "veteran" group, usually dominating the forums, talking about things that a lot of people would have no idea about. There's probably about 20 terms on this forum that I do not know the meaning to and you don't feel welcomed. I've been here on and off since 2008, but I was never going to waste my life away on it so I never got that "veteran" status which most forum-active people seem to be at.

Also NPCs are so weak. What's the point of the game? Everyone is so strong compared to the average NPC that they do absolutely no damage to you. We need stronger NPCs, because to be honest you're never going to be surrounded by players all the time and the NPCs need to provide a serious challenge to your character and do some damage. Then maybe people can actually start doing things and trying to survive in this dark wilderness instead of flying around waiting for a player to come around for you to pirate.

Also as I said, most people who have been here have been here a long time, that obviously means they have some mad skills and could absolutely demolish any new player, I wouldn't feel very welcomed if I came here as a newbie and just got killed every time I went into PvP, realising that to build those skills would take years of experience. Just be gentle, take a step back, breath, it's just a game and maybe just think of PvP as more fun, rather than a serious fight to the death that requires all your skills.

I agree with you there. Smile Not sure about the stronger NPC point of view but about other two I completely agree.
Long time back I remember citing this as an example : In one of the other mods where I use to play in, I remember one PvP chracter Razor something was a pirate on a superior ship who built a serious (not long) narrative and fulfilled his pirate role to the best of his understanding and in keeping with the server RP rules. He could have killed me but he choose to ran off instead of taxing me with a hint of damage to his equipment with my few shots not not that he was suppose to do that. I think that was innovative on his part. When people look for quickie it becomes "also conquered" in their checklist. That is very unsatifying for many and not just newbies.

It is not just about winning or losing but about fulfiling one's role and putting innovation or twist in the larger scheme of things. That sort of role play, I think, is hard to come by.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19