Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: My opinion on why the game has constantly been losing players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
How will joining a dead faction in an empty house help you have more fun? With the lack of players and the amount of play time for each player getting lower, you have a limited pool of activity you can gather up. You spread this activity apart everywhere equally and you have 2 member factions all over the place that do not get to even meet each other ever because they are further limited by their ZoI.

Everyone is a faction leader lately anyway.
(01-01-2018, 05:47 PM)Sol Wrote: [ -> ]How will joining a dead faction in an empty house help you have more fun? With the lack of players and the amount of play time for each player getting lower, you have a limited pool of activity you can gather up. You spread this activity apart everywhere equally and you have 2 member factions all over the place that do not get to even meet each other ever because they are further limited by their ZoI.

Everyone is a faction leader lately anyway.

You can RP almost anywhere with anything if you really want to.

The general problem of Discovery that I found in the 3 months that I've been a part of this community are 2 major things.

1) The Forum. Of course, it's needed for the "kind " of server that Discovery wants to be, but most people, me included would never look at the Forums if nobody told us to. The only reason I made a forum account and started using it is because I got told to apply for an official faction.

And
2) The higher positions of factions. As Felipe has pointed out already, there are many many new players who loose interest in the game because they only get yelled at by the bittervets that maybe log once a year, and instead of helping those guys that for example carry goods that are illegal by a playermade law, they get fined, stopped, asked to drop cargo. Many factions are not activly recruiting new players, and if you ask me those factions should loose officialdom and their tools in the first place. 3 Days a month is not asking too much, considering you can recruit as many people as you want.

Stop trying to keep up 2013 standards, that just won't work out.
I personally never yelled at a new player but I very often get a mouthful of bad language and lolwut dialogue for the smallest things. Just because there are less players now the ‘new player’ had become a valuable commodity but you are blaming the wrong people. The ones who shouted at you while you were a newbie could probably be considered newbies themselves, most veterans are aware that the newbies are important.

This doesn’t change the fact that the game is not too newbie friendly and it has never been, and I am not contributing to this in any way. (Please suggest ways to improve the game for the newbies instead of blaming these boogeymen so called veterans) Those that raid pennsylvania and kill newbie ships are complete morons, and I do not think anyone right in their minds and can be considered a veteran would do such.

As for going everywhere in any ID and doing all the RP you want, you know from a player’s perspective who wants to just enjoy their limited free time as well as possible, it would be a lot more fun to log a faction that is locally viable to play as and have more freedom with their actions. I don’t get why everyone feel the need to whip others into action and call them to think less of their own enjoyment for the sake of a dying game, like it is work, a duty, or even nationalism. A player can try hard for a while but he or she will run out of energy at one point and play something else that is more fun.

Besides, I realise the ones who advocate playing in hipster factions and locations are usually the ones who like to play in them already or are in the leadership of a two player faction which dearly needs more members, so they are biased. I will say no more on this.

I agree that inactive faction leaders should just leave their positions to more active ones, and give more responsibilities to newbies in leading positions which help them get accustomed to the game easier.

(01-01-2018, 05:54 PM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]2) The higher positions of factions. As Felipe has pointed out already, there are many many new players who loose interest in the game because they only get yelled at by the bittervets that maybe log once a year, and instead of helping those guys that for example carry goods that are illegal by a playermade law, they get fined, stopped, asked to drop cargo.

Stop trying to keep up 2013 standards, that just won't work out.

Really what the hell? You can’t blame a cop for doing his RP and stopping your smuggler then call it “this is veterans yelling at us and making us leave the game.”

People could be more helpful with teaching new players how this game is being played, but the cop fining you for smuggling is a way to teach you gameplay as well.

The way we enjoy the game is by fining the smuggler if we are cops, and not getting caught by cops if we are smugglers. There is already enough money being made which allows everyone to own capitals in a small amount of time. If you do not enjoy this kind of gameplay, the problem is not the veterans but simply is that you do not like this game and the game is not for you. Do not ask them to let you go with no fine just because you are a newbie, and don’t think the guy is shouting at you because he is playing his role as he is supposed to and enjoying the game as it is meant to be enjoyed.

If they are sending you hate pm in private messages that’s another matter, but it is usually the newbies who do that to be honest.
(01-01-2018, 06:21 PM)Sol Wrote: [ -> ]Besides, I realise the ones who advocate playing in hipster factions and locations are usually the ones who like to play in them already or are in the leadership of a two player faction which dearly needs more members, so they are biased. I will say no more on this.

I agree that inactive faction leaders should just leave their positions to more active ones, and give more responsibilities to newbies in leading positions which help them get accustomed to the game easier.

Im the one advocating ppl to join dead factions. What Kruger was when i became "leader"? Me and one player that didnt logged, and i handed it to other player in november w 19 days of activity. More than most factions of mod combined (btw, still they 18d last month, so doing well).

And as inactive faction leaders are found to their toys, ill begin a diff group of an almost ded faction, why? Because i want to play and care for the mod. The "power" leaders have is vain, is as big as their egos mostly. A faction is essentially its members. If they are mostly ppl looking for fun and fairplay, well, will be nice to interact w em, if instead they are bored bitter vets, who, when ppl see logging, log off because know will die 100% sure with not even touching its hull
well, you got the meaning.

The effort some people put in last years to make the skill gap even more pronunciated is the why some guys cant find "good pews" just easy blues. Funny enough they complain of that, as if isnt something they worked hard for, having sure no one have a chance against em. Broken ships with "weird" hitboxes, "balancing" and rebalancing noob-friendly guns (or mostly getting rid of those).

Same can be said of the recent "BC Rework", the cruiser changes, the missiles and torps. I cant count how much qq ive read in chats about sidewinders, while we keep refining more and more the gameplay to fine tuned skills of a specific group of players "oh ok, lets make cap pew more BS orientated, and snubs is just VHF, only guns, and slow refire tho, we cant have those noobs actually doing something just w spray and pray".

I dare to say those are just a few of the things that happened since im here that made the game less and less noob friendly, and why we cant keep the guys that everyday install the mod.

(01-01-2018, 06:21 PM)Sol Wrote: [ -> ](Please suggest ways to improve the game for the newbies instead of blaming these boogeymen so called veterans)
Just some suggestions:

-Increase min time req for factions: if the faction cant be bothered to recruit ppl (and teach em the ways of Disco) dont deserve be official w toys and rights.
-Give noobs a fighting chance (thats most on snubs i guess, a noob cruiser w 10h of flying that charge a vet bs still can do some damage, more than can do in snubs vs snub at least) be it w diff missiles that can only be mounted in fatter shipsor whatever (that way they still will die easy, but not the type of fight i saw where a vet fighted 7 guys at same time and barely used bats)
-Get rid of the ship selling to other players. Everyone looks for moneysinks, that the perfect one: if i buy a bs for 500m from a npc shop, 500m are removed from game, if i buy from other player, he have the cash (and wont trade for it).
-NPC's stronger, more diverse and lootable.
-Changes in siege system(various and weeeeeeeeld discussed already, i wont begin it here)
-Make Penn an "embassy system" where all houses hav an embassy and can have some representation (or the old ideas of one way jumpholes with ships under certain level or other kind of restriction).
-The same way theres a returning vet package, could be an "noob package" less worthy maybe, but still.

Theres zillions more. What i want make people eralize is that we are getting new players, wecant keep em tho. Thats the main problem.
(01-01-2018, 07:59 PM)Felipe Wrote: [ -> ]-Increase min time req for factions: if the faction cant be bothered to recruit ppl (and teach em the ways of Disco) dont deserve be official w toys and rights.

I will be really honest with you here. For all online time Kruger has, it can't showcase any quality behind forum roleplay. Now in no way do I want to say Kruger is bad faction, but I want to highlight that some factions have huge disadvantage in comparison to others (trading factions vs mining factions), have unique approach to game ( The Lane Hackers vs any other faction ), located in forsaken place (Gallia, Kusari vs Liberty) and so on.

Having a blank activity requirement will only dissuade people from having official factions that can properly represent them and push story forward ( Ageira~ is not that active, but we are moving forward with our own little storyline for example as my goal is not to offer mindless activity in game but lasting experience and history). Mining and trading gets you only so much in community where roleplay and progression is what keeps people interested and around for the long haul.

So you better ask yourself, what is it better, to have less official factions that meet activity requirement as an "upkeep" or having more official factions but with relaxed activity requirements? Look at not-represented factions such as Planetform (RP progression takes ages) or Cryer(attempt was made but staff completely killed off motivation by ruining ID for non-standard trade faction).
edit: removed the first paragraph because I am stupid

As for the balance issue. What is stopping the so called veterans from taking up the overpowered toys and being a complete nuisance for you much better than you could ever be for them? The balance is never perfect at any point of time, and the gameplay might never be perfectly fun for everybody either. But advocating the return of ships with broken hitboxes and missiles that just track too well will only reduce the diversity of everyone's gameplay eventually rather than encouraging diversity and will not help any newbies at all. You'll only have players that missile better than you instead of gunning better than you, and the newbies will have no advantage in any way.
Why are people still digging on this salt mine?
That is a very good question.

Presumably, people wish for the good old days again.

The mod is over a decade old now. I'm fairly sure we have players younger than the base game playing. Hell, Spazzy has video evidence of like 7 year-olds playing Disco somewhere.

(sun)
(01-01-2018, 08:09 PM)SnakThree Wrote: [ -> ]I will be really honest with you here. For all online time Kruger has, it can't showcase any quality behind forum roleplay. Now in no way do I want to say Kruger is bad faction, but I want to highlight that some factions have huge disadvantage in comparison to others (trading factions vs mining factions), have unique approach to game ( The Lane Hackers vs any other faction ), located in forsaken place (Gallia, Kusari vs Liberty) and so on.

Having a blank activity requirement will only dissuade people from having official factions that can properly represent them and push story forward ( Ageira~ is not that active, but we are moving forward with our own little storyline for example as my goal is not to offer mindless activity in game but lasting experience and history). Mining and trading gets you only so much in community where roleplay and progression is what keeps people interested and around for the long haul.

So you better ask yourself, what is it better, to have less official factions that meet activity requirement as an "upkeep" or having more official factions but with relaxed activity requirements? Look at not-represented factions such as Planetform (RP progression takes ages) or Cryer(attempt was made but staff completely killed off motivation by ruining ID for non-standard trade faction).

About "quality behind forum roleplay" i always told to everyone Kruger forum activity under my direction is towards our ingame goals, after all is a mining-trading faction, not k'hara.

Still im pretty sure i devevolped more rp projects for Kruger in last year than your faction did, the quality you may find lower (on your standards) but well, i dont really appreciate what i call "forum work". I prefer actuall playing, being ingame.

What you call story progression (that you s ay you doing) i call "hugging muh lore" Rhein war cant progress because you hold the gate repair hostage of Rheinland bending to your demands.

But surely some diff reqs should exist, for example:
-mining factions (Kruger, DHC, Samura, BMM, IMG, GMG, etc) 5 days
-pure trade factions: (Bowex, RS, Ageira etc) 4 days
-police/navy/pirates 3 days
-xceptional cases (op id/toys that require careful recruitment) 2 days

Values are showcase, bigger or start w 1day for K'hara/Vagrants/Wild etc and increment plus one for each subsequent.
(01-01-2018, 05:43 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]I've found that over the years the quest for 'balance' has become so extreme that it's squeezed all the fun out of the gameplay.

Balance is needed to maintain the game, but it shouldn't be overdone. People complain about the Scorpion, there's valid reason as the hitbox is the size of a gnat. Things like Fighter torps shouldn't have been removed, because they provided more variety in combat. That and I miss having Sunslayers on my Sunrider.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19