It has no name. Is it a gold fish? No. Is it a can opener? No, just looks like. But it can open any pirate transport. And that's what it's designed for: hunting pirates in non-combat ships, fast and quiet - before they can even call for help.
This bomber is too bulky to avoid fire from combat ships, so keeping a distance is always a good idea. Equipment is standard, but there's one exception: 5 front firing guns. This makes Can-opener exclusive, if you know how to use slow bomber guns. Let's see what it can do in a fight, class-by-class:
1. FIGHTERS - Do not let your imagination take you to dog-fighting with fighters, only because you have 5 overwhelming front guns. Fire from bomber guns travels very slow, too slow for hitting fighters. You can beat any NPC VHF, after quite some time of chasing it around, but player's VHF is much more offensive. You are BIG and SLOW bomber with 50% more hull than VHF, so the VHF pilot will kill you with many tiny hits, except in case you have a very lucky SNAC or nuke.
2. BOMBERS - Bombers are slow easy targets, but have SNAC, too. Smaller one, or luckier one will win bomber vs. bomber duel. Strafing a lot is mandatory. You can insta-kill any SHF in a Can-opener, so they will try to run instead.
3. FREIGHTERS & TRANSPORTS - Can be wiped off, without any scratch on your hull. Just avoid front gun fire from both of them, so back/down approach is recommended. And you will have that opportunity, as they will try to run soon. The best setup is: 3-5 EMP guns (or even more), one Hellfire if know how to use it, SNAC and train disruptor. Bring up mines too, it helps you to make it quick. Hull damaging guns are rear thing on bombers, but good for making reputation via anti-fighter missions.
4. GUNBOATS - Gunboats are made to kill bombers. Run. Turret Steering GB can cut bombers to peaces. Find something easier. Or call a couple of friends with bombers and have fun (well, you might get a Ganker reputation if you do it every time).
(if the gunboat is setted up with razors, well... it's another story. Just come in close fast, strafe like mad, use EMPs, than SNAC, drop your mines, move fast out and the razors will miss you MOSTLY. Beware of missile when approaching, as it is much more accurate than you'd like)
5. OTHER CAPITALS - Two bombers could get a cruiser down, three could get a battleship. It is all in mathematics: total of powerplant regenerations must be more than capital's shield regeneration. If the prey is setted with solarises, stay on distance and call one more bomber, because the prey will evade your distant SNAC's a lot. One disruptor per bombers pack is enough, so others should bring a Nova Torpedo to masacre any BS. Novas ROCK!
I know there are some pilots that can circle around a pray like a mosquito. They use full EMPs setup and plenty of screamers to lower enemy's shields, then kill it with SNAC. I have tried, but never managed to do it, simply having no nerves for that, but you can keep trying. Strafe a lot, Can-opener is agile just enough for it.
Review by Pepe