Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Online Navmap (v5.0, thread updated 10.10.2023)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43
I have a small suggestion:

What about adding up info what kind of system it is to NavMap? A small text under the system's name.
(12-04-2015, 10:58 PM)FluffReborn Wrote: [ -> ]I have a small suggestion:

What about adding up info what kind of system it is to NavMap? A small text under the system's name.
"Which kind of system it is" as in which type of system it is according to the rules? Hmh. Sure, I'll add it to my to-do list; thanks for the suggestion! I quite like that idea, actually, and particularly so now that I've got a small tooltip plugin up and running for adding them in a semi-elegant manner. If you've got any further feedback or suggestions regarding that map, please take it to the feedback thread instead as I'd rather not take this thread (any further) off-topic; I just wanted to clarify the contents of that post a bit.
Moved both posts here.
The new background is good. It gives the whole map more visual depth in my opinion.
I did come across a slight problem, however. When I loaded it once, the system connections didn't appear, even when I turned them off and on again. I was able to fix it by refreshing the page though, so i'm not sure whether this was a server or client side problem.
(12-12-2015, 03:59 PM)Wixelt Wrote: [ -> ]I did come across a slight problem, however. When I loaded it once, the system connections didn't appear, even when I turned them off and on again. I was able to fix it by refreshing the page though, so i'm not sure whether this was a server or client side problem.
Thanks for the information, and for the feedback in your previous post: I'll note it down in the issue list and take a look at this when I can.

I haven't experienced that particular problem myself, but I have, however, seen an odd and (so far) unreproducable issue where the system map very occasionally (on 1/500 page loads?) renders all systems without system classes. I suspect both issues may be related to some kind of unresolved race condition in the universe map rendering module, seeing as these have happened to me just a few times over the last four-five months. Would be interesting to figure out what's causing them: As you say, it could be a server-side issue as well. If Google's CDN refuses to deliver a file (which happens now and then) to the map script it will occasionally cause odd issues like this that go away on a refresh. Should probably fix itself when I move it over to a new hosting provider if that's the case. Smile

PS: Which browser were you using when this happened?
Alright, it's probably time for an update post since there's been quite a few additions and changes in the last patch that may need explaining beyond a small change log entry:
  • - There is now an auto-scale option (off by default) in the config menu that attempts to resize the map to your current window size. One caveat is that the universe map labels do not scale downwards well and will start to overlap - this is unfortunately difficult to fix, as Sirius is pretty large - but the system maps usually scale quite well. I probably wouldn't recommend using it by default, but it's there if you want to try it. Smile
  • - Wreck and unmineable zone labels are now off by default - like on Freelancer's navmap - to reduce cluttering a bit, and particularly so for the new smaller-than-default map sizes. These can be enabled again at any time by toggling the "Wreck labels" and "Unmineable zone labels" options in the config menu.
  • - Using the search field will now highlight and scroll to the base/object you were looking for. The highlight is removed by moving your mouse over it or clicking any object.
  • - The map URL will dynamically update when you change systems or open the infocard viewer for an object, allowing you to link directly to a base or a system.
  • - The behavior of the "Scroll up" button on the infocard viewer has changed function slightly to be a close button as well. This will also update the map's URL to that of the current system instead of the selected base when the button is clicked.
There have also been quite a few style tweaks/improvements to the nav menu and other things here and there to enable it to scale dynamically when the auto-scale option is set.

And while we're at it, a short explanation for the DSAce.log integration option, as I've gotten a few questions about it: Allowing the map script to access your DSAce.log file by selecting it in the config menu enables use of the /map command in-game, which forwards anything you type after /map to the search input field in the browser. This means that you can use the map without alt-tabbing if you are running FL windowed or if you've got some space to spare on another screen while you play. One special command is /map Sirius (with any capitalization) that allows you to open the universe map. No log data will be forwarded by the script to any web server or third party for processing, as everything runs locally in your browser.

If you encounter any issues with the patch or if you've got any other feedback, feel free to make a post here or to contact me directly by PM or Skype as usual!
That /map command is pure joy! Thanks big time for that. These additions these day to this mod are great.
Glad to hear it! I just added /map up, /map down and /map removehighlights, by the way: Not sure why I haven't added the first two before (for scrolling up and down). The last one was a bit of an oversight after the map highlights were added earlier today; I didn't consider the consequences it would have for the /map command, as there is obviously no way to hover over the highlight to remove it while your mouse is busy in another window. Tongue
I hate to point this out, but all of the systems removed in the new update are visible on the map again.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43