Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Order feedback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
(06-17-2022, 02:18 PM)DariusCiprian Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the quick reply.

The part about allying with the Corsairs against the Core and Outcasts makes sense from a gameplay perspective, but not from a lore standpoint. As far as lore goes, the Outcast and Core cooperation isn't canon, but more of a "on the spot help" (as seen with the story characters sending roleplaying the assistance of a Core squadron to help in the coming battle in Theta)

The "political entity" part I have refered to is in direct coleration to not the treaties themselves, but the fact the Order claims certain regions as theirs ([...] Recognize Omicron Delta to be the demarcation line between Corsair Empire and The Order.; Will open access to The Order Overwatch space to [...]) The way the current roleplay's done is only showing that the Order is thought to be a political entity laying claim to certain regions as theirs, going against the "anti-Nomad" shtick of the faction.

And, as another question, why would the Order care about what happens to the Corsairs? They share no common goal and the Corsairs are only a warrior empire, raiding for money and smuggling, in direct anthiesis to the Order which has been (still is?) funded directly by House Governments.
We try Tongue

Honestly there are two ways of interpreting the Core - Outcast alliance, either it's a gameplay thing, in which case we countered it by doing (almost) the exact same gameplay thing with Corsairs, or it's canon, which would imply a simple ceasefire might not even be enough to 'balance the scales'. As for Order having certain regions, this was the case since I first joined the server, so I cannot answer this. It's been part of the Overwatch for as long as I've been on Disco. There have been other Order factions that came and went that prefered going for the more 'covert ops' style approach in the houses and made it their main focus, the Overwatch does that as well but as 'one of several options' rather than its main focus.

Looking at the Order 'claims' though, they mostly consist of systems where there's a significant Order presence, and thus with a high interest to defend the area, or Nomad systems. In the case of the latter it makes sense the Order wouldn't want anyone to enter there, because there's no way of knowing if the person who comes out of that area is infested or not, assuming they come out of it at all. All other claims seem more to indicate conflict regions, though frankly this needs to be updated. I believe Omicron Chi, for example, is still mentioned in some over the Overwatch documents. We'll do our best to update that as soon as possible.

As for caring what happens to the Corsairs, I think it's safe to say that currently Order cares for Corsairs about as much as they care for humans in general. It's only the presence of the Core and Outcasts with their combined forces that turn Corsairs into a party the Order instead sees an option to fight alongside with in the Omicrons. Of course, there is a chance such cooperation deepens ties and leads to a 'proper alliance', but that simply isn't the case yet. Don't get me wrong, we won't flat out say it'll never happen because it might, we simply intend to see where the roleplay takes us.

As for the funding of the Order, that's more of a mysterious topic I'm afraid. I recall for example talks with story devs that mentioned that Houses did indeed fund the Order, but then it makes very little sense that they have the Order hostile if this is the case. Others claim it's done under the table by bureaucrats, private citizens and corporate employees sympathetic to the cause, others claim Order gets income from criminal organizations and yet others say Order gets funded by their own exporting of Kemwer and Palladium.

(Though I find it a bit of a double standard that a lawful faction such as the Core, where it's very clear that they're being sponsored by houses/corporations, can ally with the Outcasts just fine without such concerns being raised, even going so far as delivering Core capital ships to the Outcasts if I'm not mistaken).

I don't particularly consider this a problem however, while the Overwatch is more prominant than the occasional stealth based faction that pops up here and there, at its roots it's still the Order, doing stealth missions, infiltration and yes, even shady deals with Corsairs, in order to improve their odds against the Nomads. I think looking too deeply into what makes a covert faction tick as far as funding and logistics go, kind of ruins the 'magic'. Think star wars with the midichlorians for exaample, a completely unneeded reveal that, in the end, didn't really add much to the overall story.

Also apologies for the wall of text, since several things you brought up predate me in this community I tried my best to give you my interpretation.
Please take a look at these logs.

Code:
[15.06.2022 15:17:02] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh, that's gonna hurt.
[15.06.2022 15:17:36] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh man, the Alaska is toast.
[15.06.2022 15:18:05] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh no, now they're targeting the Death Valley. They're in some deep sh*t now.
[15.06.2022 15:18:46] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: The Justice appears to be taking heavy fire, but is it enough to save the Ohio?
[15.06.2022 15:18:57] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: And the Death Valley is down.
[15.06.2022 15:19:08] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Followed by the Justice.
[15.06.2022 15:20:04] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh, the light capitals of the Navy have overextended. Looks like they're in for some trouble.
[15.06.2022 15:20:28] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: The Alaska cruises away with minimal hull integrity remaining.
[15.06.2022 15:21:34] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: The Kearsarge and Discovery are in pursuit of the Alaska.
[15.06.2022 15:22:08] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Things ain't looking too good for the Alaska today, folks.

The Order agent flooding the comms during a fleet battle sounds very out of character of you ask me. Not to mention acting like a caster of some cage fight when there are actual navy ships going to combat.
(06-18-2022, 07:42 AM)Chronicron Wrote: [ -> ]Please take a look at these logs.

Code:
[15.06.2022 15:17:02] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh, that's gonna hurt.
[15.06.2022 15:17:36] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh man, the Alaska is toast.
[15.06.2022 15:18:05] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh no, now they're targeting the Death Valley. They're in some deep sh*t now.
[15.06.2022 15:18:46] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: The Justice appears to be taking heavy fire, but is it enough to save the Ohio?
[15.06.2022 15:18:57] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: And the Death Valley is down.
[15.06.2022 15:19:08] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Followed by the Justice.
[15.06.2022 15:20:04] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Oh, the light capitals of the Navy have overextended. Looks like they're in for some trouble.
[15.06.2022 15:20:28] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: The Alaska cruises away with minimal hull integrity remaining.
[15.06.2022 15:21:34] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: The Kearsarge and Discovery are in pursuit of the Alaska.
[15.06.2022 15:22:08] Order|Jennifer.Shelton: Things ain't looking too good for the Alaska today, folks.

The Order agent flooding the comms during a fleet battle sounds very out of character of you ask me. Not to mention acting like a caster of some cage fight when there are actual navy ships going to combat.

This does seem more of an oorp thing rather than an appropriate inrp thing yes, we'll look into it. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Much appreciated
Hellew. It's me again.

As per this MD, I thought about providing some advice onto how to copy the text from Nomad encounters, that being for those interested in a more roleplay-focused approach to mission debriefs.

Now, as everyone who has studied the Nomads knows, they don't communicate through text or comms, they use telepathy to "speak" with other humans.

Excerpt taken from Nomad roleplay guide

That being said, and to not simply walk over right away after poking the feedback thread about this, I'll also provide some ways of going about "writing" the Nomad roleplay people encounter:
a) you don't copy any Nomad speech at all (the most logical but also the laziest solution, though it's fine for people that don't wish to pursue an overtly-detailed mission debrief)
b) you write memories of what has taken place
For example, and I'll take a line from this very encounter:
[02.08.2022 19:09:38] Lek'ka-lesh: ~[Darklings] |Hive| Will give "yours" no **solace**~
will become
[02.08.2022 19:09:38] [Nomad entity initiates contact; Mentions "no mercy" to be given to agents present.]

c) you write both memories and try to patch the text together, whilst providing more details:
Same line, adapted:
[02.08.2022 19:09:38] [Nomad entity approaches Order ships; Initiates contact shortly, communicating that "the Hive gives no mercy"; Entity moves closer to allied craft.]

Naturally, this can be also varied across characters (different types of approaches to roleplay based on the characters' stance! yay!), and while I'm certain that more experienced members of the faction will understand the points, I wished to post this for newers members to perhaps understand and follow -- or make their own -- style of such mission debriefs, with more details put in place.

Other than that, good luck, lads. Keep the Omicrons alive.
Thanks for the feedback Darius. Im still quite very new at this so feedback is appriciated. Ill go back and rewrite some parts later tonight after work. So people should probably disregard it for the moment. Wasnt aware of all the establish practices to handle this situation.

EDIT: MD has been redone, again I appreciate the feedback.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46