Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No more spontaneous events. Do the events that people actually planned first. Otherwise, it's a massively insulting slap in the face to leaders and community members that have made the effort.
I do not see anyone making events. Nor do I see scoreboards or kill prizes or other things that motivate people to blow the dust off their ships and participate. If the indies gladly visit admin-made events and not faction made ones, it is kinda obvious that they like the former better.
(06-24-2016, 04:22 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I do not see anyone making events.

We're making them, we're just waiting on the Staff to do something with them.

Spazzy you're saying that an awful lot. Whilst the vast majority of leaders don't seem to be doing anything in regards to the plugin, there are some who actually have been trying to take an active role in improving activity by using that plugin. And even if some of those events have been scrapped (like the one Jack proposed during the Bretonia-Nomad invasion) there have certainly been attempts by leaders to get stuff done. Please don't lump and slander us all together when there are people actually trying to make an effort by creating events.

We lack the power to create weed or DROPs events out of the blue. It's not because indies prefer admin events, it's because our events have zero visibility nor have any concrete chance of implementation due to how disorganised the Staff are. If we had the power to set up events by ourselves, I assure you that not only would we have seen the event plugin get much more use in recent months, but also the server would be A LOT more active.

As I said in your events thread our planning efforts are meaningless if we don't have motivated Staff to get the ball rolling for the community.
Yes, which is why I simply posted in the admin feedback thread "Hey, give us an event, either X or Y would be nice."
Now we wait.
(06-24-2016, 04:22 PM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]I do not see anyone making events.

I guess you'd have better chances with access to the official faction leader section to spot the proposals collecting dust in the thread designed for them. JNC and I have a detailed proposal for a series of 2n+2 events (can explain on Skype, if you are interested, poke me there) submitted a month ago, Lyth has an other proposal for a series of 2 events submitted in January.

We are waiting for the Staff right now.
(06-24-2016, 03:24 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]Moderating a forum is a much less involved job than administrating a game server.
One will be right to assume so..being an admin is an extension to being a moderator(enforcing ingame sanctions,enabling request from players and official factions alike,creating events + babysitting them{both created via flhook or faction events},discussions and votes regarding a wide variety of things,entertaining/helping different members of our community who seek something from them and last but not least important dealing with mundane things{as vague as vary it can get}..)
(06-24-2016, 03:24 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]Additionally, both of those positions require different skills and qualifications one needs to have.
That's where you're wrong,learning to type a command or edit a file is not as relevant since it can be learn quite fast(most likely there's quite a few guides explaining them) but what's more important is gaining trust which can only be done in time
(06-24-2016, 03:24 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]Plus, from personal observations, I've noticed that while being a moderator people become much less involved with the game.
as expected it takes time from your...'play time'? its more to it,being an moderator/admin, than just having your name in orange/green even though most will think we only do that..

(06-24-2016, 03:24 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]I might have phrased it incorrectly. I meant that electing admins only from among the moderators is stupid
i beg the differ..as a moderator your performance can be evaluated during a certain time and then decided if that certain person can be entrusted with more access to handle more sensitive things(such as access to server)
(06-24-2016, 03:24 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]and more involved people from the community should also be given the opportunity to become a part of the admin team
how do you plan to implement that? 'hire' 100 admins and pray to whatever deity you desire that next day there'll still be something to administrate instead of just testing a few peoples with limited access so they don't screw up?
(06-24-2016, 05:38 PM)Hannibal Wrote: [ -> ]how do you plan to implement that? 'hire' 100 admins and pray to whatever deity you desire that next day there'll still be something to administrate instead of just testing a few peoples with limited access so they don't screw up?
Give people the option to present their suggestions and gripes with discovery and let the community choose who they want to be represented by.
(06-24-2016, 06:48 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2016, 05:38 PM)Hannibal Wrote: [ -> ]how do you plan to implement that? 'hire' 100 admins and pray to whatever deity you desire that next day there'll still be something to administrate instead of just testing a few peoples with limited access so they don't screw up?
Give people the option to present their suggestions and gripes with discovery and let the community choose who they want to be represented by.

Democracy is not the answer in a gaming environment. I have yet to meet more than 4 people who would make good admins that play on this server. Two of them I know aren't, and frankly they don't want to be. The other two are probably admins and I just won't admit I know them.

Democracy creates a state of argument worse than the one we have here. This is a game, it needs admins with the ability to make decisions based on the rules, not over which faction they are in. That's the road I see this idea going down and I would leave first.
(06-24-2016, 06:48 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]Give people the option to present their suggestions and gripes with discovery and let the community choose who they want to be represented by.

We did that. I don't think anyone in the top 10 most voted members for moderator got an orange name.
(06-24-2016, 07:00 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-24-2016, 06:48 PM)Corile Wrote: [ -> ]Give people the option to present their suggestions and gripes with discovery and let the community choose who they want to be represented by.

We did that. I don't think anyone in the top 10 most voted members for moderator got an orange name.

That wasn't even close to what I was suggesting. Especially considering that most of the applications were like "ye i want in". On the other hand though, moderator applications shouldn't be resolved this way because moderator is much less of a responsible role.

Quote:This is a game, it needs admins with the ability to make decisions based on the rules, not over which faction they are in.
What I said and what you said is perfectly compatible and no democracy has to be involved.

By the way, while we are in this thread. I applied a month ago for the position of a BB-Code developer and I haven't received any slightest information on whether it was resolved or not. A few days ago I submitted another player request asking about the status of that application and I haven't received any answer either. It would be nice if people were informed about the state of their player requests in some way.