Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Admin Feedback Thread (Archived)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, on the subject of sanctions and processing requests.

I've now had the opportunity to view the process behind these for the past month and I can simply say that, without going into too much detail. Guys, it is NOT near as simple as I thought they are. Especially sanction reports. Yeah, it seems fairly straightforward - 3 votes, go over evidence. No, it is not as simple. And requests are even more messy. And the way they are written and submitted most of the time does not help either.

Appeals add a whole other layer on top of it. You know those people who bump their appeal thread every 3 hours? Yeah, that thread, by the way, is 2 pages long by that point as discussion is being made regarding what was said by the appeal itself and what should the action be. And who is going to take the flack for posting it.

As for events. I will be blunt about it. The only person who knows how to properly (read, properly) handle the plugin and how it works is and nobody else should touch that mess. , for all the negative things you throw at him, he remains one of those types of admins of which we recently lost. Just like Jax, I approached him with an idea and - without any hesitation I was told that "Dude, that sounds nice!" and 10min later he started to work on how to implement the Tridente Blockade from a technical side of the view. In the end it was postphoned because we simply did not have the technical knowhow between the two of us on how to deal with a few very specific problems that, while they worked completely fine on a private server, became very apparent on the main server.

Really. Chill. After seeing it first hand, it is not as simple and clear cut as it seems.
(09-06-2016, 07:25 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]The only person who knows how to properly (read, properly) handle the plugin and how it works is and nobody else should touch that mess.

How about taking in some trainees a.k.a Event managers so that if is unavailable somebody else can take over?

I believe mentoring should play a big role in Admin and Dev work
The event system is not that hard for basic things, it's just very verbose as it is as there is no generator. That's something that should be fixed soon from I've read in a more secret location.

The problem is when you start involving things that are not fully governed by the event system, such as POBs, if you don't have the required knowledge on how to deal with these things (and especially how to avoid crashing the entire server with a mistake) you're pretty much stuck unless someone with the necessary knowledge can help you out understand it.

That knowledge doesn't exist on wikia or google, hell even a tutorial wouldn't fully cover it. It's always a different setup depending on what you want to do.
(09-06-2016, 07:25 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Really. Chill. After seeing it first hand, it is not as simple and clear cut as it seems.

Guess I know how to solve the distrust problem.

, , for moderators!
All of you guys that got mad here realized you got so mad over a screw-up in an event that you took it out on Admins here and potentially we lost another one? And then you all want to vote for admins by the community? That's just a no. On so many levels.

First of all, it's just an event. The event I can see from reading this had problems and holes in it that conflicted with rules. If they were calmly taken care of and make whole then would this have happened? Unlikely.
Secondly, you can do the event again. Stop getting your butt majorly hurt over this and bringing back discussions that have long ago been buried to the point that you are questioning about the admin (when before when the Admin was announced you were ok with it and didnt speak up.)

Anyway, have fun on your island.

[Image: MXZfUz0.jpg?1]
(09-06-2016, 01:29 AM)Dane Summers Wrote: [ -> ]Making assumptions and judgments on those assumptions, on a players behavior is something that can be remedied through dialogue.
Neither Karst, Lyth or any of the 6 were given any warnings before they got banned. The staff didn't come forward and approach them about anything at all.

(09-06-2016, 12:04 AM)King Boo Wrote: [ -> ]We're not all that different than a majority of the players in the community. Of course we might not conform with a few of your visions. Though I can say with absolute certainty that everyone on the staff has a different view of the place. We're not all the same, acting to our unified vision or something. That'd be silly.
But the majority in the staff votes are the ones with a unified view, right? and that majority keep making bad decisions yeah? if there wasn't unity in the staff you'd never get anything done and even though you guys do get stuff done in recent months it's rarely been positive
(09-06-2016, 05:03 AM)Char Aznable Wrote: [ -> ]I am just going to ask some questions here Justin.

If we begin a vote to remove the current admin team[...]

You all seriously need to re-read what I said, I never suggested voting the current admin team out.

I suggested voting new admins in, and then eliminating the candidates who did not reach a certain threshold of votes; ie; you need at least 50 votes or you will be removed from the list of candidates.
Then how about getting more admins and splitting them up in groups for guys who do the technical parts , guys who handle events and others for sanctions.
(09-06-2016, 12:21 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: [ -> ]All of you guys that got mad here realized you got so mad over a screw-up in an event that you took it out on Admins here and potentially we lost another one? And then you all want to vote for admins by the community? That's just a no. On so many levels.

First of all, it's just an event. The event I can see from reading this had problems and holes in it that conflicted with rules. If they were calmly taken care of and make whole then would this have happened? Unlikely.
Secondly, you can do the event again. Stop getting your butt majorly hurt over this and bringing back discussions that have long ago been buried to the point that you are questioning about the admin (when before when the Admin was announced you were ok with it and didnt speak up.)
There was nothing wrong with the event,it has already been done before and had no problems,infact last years event was probably the best one with near 20 XTF and 30 or so badies,and that event was supervised,this year if there was no one supervising(targeting)it,it wouldve gone OK,on the other hand if we actually had some help with it,it wouldve been over in under 2 hours instead of ending miserably in over 4.
Yeah i can probably make another such event...in a year,in case you havent noticed it was a birthday event.This year the attendance was a bit lower because of members having RL problems but after the event i was grateful they didnt come and be a witness to the farce that went on.

Just bring some better structure to the admin team please,and broaden it(and its perspectives).
The XTF event Admin intervention in my opinion only causes such a response because the old mistakes and resulting injuries are still very fresh - and those were mistakes on a much greater scale.

If the team wants to have any chance at winning back community trust, you could think about

> sticking to your own rules.
> removing / reprimanding those members of staff that abused their position of power
> unbanning those victims that were banned outside of your own rules

It pretty much comes down to: fixing old mistakes and then sticking to your own rules.

None of the last controversies would have been sparked if Admins hadn't decided to act outside the set of rules (in 6-ban, then 2-ban and now XTF).

Jack
(09-06-2016, 07:25 AM)sindroms Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, on the subject of sanctions and processing requests.

I've now had the opportunity to view the process behind these for the past month and I can simply say that, without going into too much detail. Guys, it is NOT near as simple as I thought they are. Especially sanction reports. Yeah, it seems fairly straightforward - 3 votes, go over evidence. No, it is not as simple. And requests are even more messy. And the way they are written and submitted most of the time does not help either.

So , you pretty much laid a precedent for the review board I proposed. You speak to the difficulty of admin work. Could you speak as to the attitudes and ethics that the admin use to make their decision. A lot of us are not privy to the process, and I believe that's where a lot of the distrust comes from.