Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Incoming transmission...
Source: Freeport 5, Omega-41
ID: Elias Elonen

I, Elias Elonen, free-born Zoner and merchant of the eternal skies, cast my vote for Mal, as Chairperson, Learless Feader and Grumpius Maximus of this august body.

Let's get this over with so we can start making policy.

Uh, waiter? My check please?

End of transmission..
Comm ID: Malaclypse

Fellow Delegates,

First, my apologies to Dr. Mazursky and Ms. Salome. We left the polls open longer than indicated in anticipation of ZTC's vote; but had to "move on".

The votes have been tallied, and verified by a second Delegate. The vote of Captain Norichka was not included, as Doc Holliday cast the TAZ's vote.

Here are the results:

For Delegate Peter Kristall: No votes
For Delegate Coriko Lameos: 1 vote
For Delegate Aurelia Silvan: 1 vote
For Delegate Samuel Nichols: 3 votes
For Delegate Malaclypse: 7 votes

I would like to thank all who exercised their rights, and duties as Delegates; but I would also like to point out that the total vote was a mere drop in the bucket when compared to our full list of Delegates. In future, I think the old adage of "use it or lose it" might be our best course of action.

My thanks to the other Nominees for their willingness to serve, and for their continued support of this Council and the Zoner Community. I only hope to bring the same commitment to the position you have once again stu... errr.. honored me with.

Ambassador Doctor John Henry Holliday will assume my former position as Delegate for the Temporary Autonomous Zoners.

There is much to discuss and resolve, Brothers and Sisters. At this time, I invite all Delegates to submit brief lists of the issues they find most pressing, so that the Council can form a prioritized Agenda.

Here are my "druthers":

Standardization of NFZ distances for all Freeports and facilities (high);

Whether to form a Council "Hostiles" list, or to use independent "contractors" to deal with those who break Zoner Law(high);

The issue of pirating, and our "agreement" with the Corsairs, in Omega 49 (seems to change with the weather, so moderate);

Doc Holliday's suggestions regarding Gallia and a possible Iridium embargo (low to moderate).

Once an Agenda is formed, it will be followed to the letter.. no diversions, no distractions, no interruptions. Otherwise we will just be chasing our tails.

Once again, thank you for your faith and trust. I promise to pull out my "Grumpius Maximus" nose only when all else falls.

Chairman Mal
Let me be the first to offer congratulations to our new Chairperson, Malaclypse.
As I didn't really offer a coherent position statement during the election, or even get to vote thanks to my status as a nominee, here are my positions on the issues facing us.

Standardization of NFZ distances as per Malaclypse's suggestion: Medium to high. The respect, or lack thereof, our NFZs get are at this point our primary line of defense and should have a fairly high priority.

Whether to form a Council Hostiles list or use independant contractors to deal with violations of Zoner law: Medium. While this shouldn't fall to the bottom of the stack, I think leaving this up to the individual who encounters the violation should suffice as a stopgap.

The situation in Omega-49: Medium unless it comes to a head before we get to it.

Doc Holliday's suggestion of an Iridium embargo on Gallia: Low, unless the situation in Gallia changes. There are so many impediments on Gallic trade with the rest of Sirius anyway, anything we do will be a drop in the bucket.

Coriko Lameos' motion to ban members of the Slaver's Union from Zoner bases: Top of the stack. Seriously, this is disgusting, and we should be doing something about it.

Finally, a couple pet projects of my own.

Adding a No-fly-zone around the ruins of Freeport 7: Medium. It's obvious to anyone with eyes that looters have been there. While I'm not pointing any fingers, I think we need to say to the population of Sirius: You can pay your respects, but do it at a distance.

Raising money for a Freeport 7 memorial beacon: Low. While I think this is something that should happen eventually, we have more pressing matters to deal with first.

That's all I've got, I'm back to my patrols.
Peace out,
-Peter Kristall
**Incoming Transmission**
Comm ID: Captain Trogdor

Standardization of NFZ distances as per Malaclypse's suggestion: Low? The only facility we own that doesn't have a 5k radius is Freeport 1, as far as I know. Then again, I don't get around much.

Whether to form a Council Hostiles list or use independant contractors to deal with violations of Zoner law: Low? Don't we already have this in both forms?

The situation in Omega-49: Medium. I'd like to know a little more of the history of what role exactly the Corsairs are supposed to play there. Furthermore, since we apparently had the resources to colonize Gran Canaria, why can't we patrol the system ourselves?

Doc Holliday's suggestion of an Iridium embargo on Gallia: I'll abstain from commenting on this, as I've really never been up there, and if we did go up there we'd probably cause a diplomatic fiasco.

Coriko Lameos' motion to ban members of the Slaver's Union from Zoner bases: Medium. Though I suspect this may spill over into another debate of larger scale, of whether we allow prisoners to be traded/held aboard ships docked with our bases.

Finally, a suggestion of my own:

I suggest we (re?)colonize Sprague. It lies along the route between Omega 5 and Cambridge, and could be quite profitable from all the Corsairs passing along that way all the time. Additionally, it may draw Corsair attention away from Freeport 1, easing the strain on commercial trading. Plus no one else seems to want to claim it. Might as well be us!

**Transmission ends**
**Incoming Transmission**
To: Zoner Council

Message reads:

' Wrote:Standardization of NFZ distances for all Freeports and facilities (high);

Whether to form a Council "Hostiles" list, or to use independent "contractors" to deal with those who break Zoner Law(high);

The issue of pirating, and our "agreement" with the Corsairs, in Omega 49 (seems to change with the weather, so moderate);

Doc Holliday's suggestions regarding Gallia and a possible Iridium embargo (low to moderate).

Once an Agenda is formed, it will be followed to the letter.. no diversions, no distractions, no interruptions. Otherwise we will just be chasing our tails.

Once again, thank you for your faith and trust. I promise to pull out my "Grumpius Maximus" nose only when all else falls.

Chairman Mal

First Congrats to our new Chair Mal. From past readings of the minutes I know you'll do well.

As for the motions before the council.

I agree with a standardized NFZ around all zoner installations and planets. 5k would be the best I think. This should
be our first item.

I agree the Council should have a hostile list that we should deal with ourselves. This will lend more credence
to our laws. If we hire our Mercs or Hunter that will only inflame the recipient's more and lend to the belief that
we are weak and ineffective. Our second item or third

I think that if the Corsairs are going to patrol O-49 they should protect all and abide by any agreements that are
reached by us and them. This will have to be discussed with them and after all the howling and bluster will most likely come to a decent agreement, once tempers cool. Our second item or third. This one may be the hardest of all and may be best if handled second.

Since I have only been to Gallia on one exploratory trip I have no issue with this embargo. Not the biggest of priorities. I will have to reread the minutes on Doc's speech before commenting further.

One potential topic that we may want to consider. What if we established a guard section to hunt those folks on the Hostile list. Yes it's a bit radical and sort of goes against our neutrality, but since neutrality is a two way street those that end up on the hostile list are our enemies. Not talking a large fleet just s dedicated group of guard pilots that make sure those Hostiles feel some retribution. This for now would be a low priority.

Samuel Nichols
CEO - OSI

**End of Transmission**
*Incoming Transmission*
Comm ID: Doc Holliday
To: Zoner Council of Delegates

First of all, congratulations to Malcalypse on being named as the CoZ chair. As the new TAZ delegate, I have big shoes to fill. I thank Mal for the opportunity.

Yes, so many issues to deal with. I think the 5k NFZ around planets and Zoner bases is a good move. I'd like to add one thing to it. It seems that many will get within that zone to avoid being fired upon after pirating or firing upon another vessel. It really does cause a stir.

I do think we should have a hostile list that we ourselves deal with. As delegate Nichols stated, hiring others will only cause more tension and we ourselves will look weak. I'll tie the Corsairs into this one as it is mostly independent Corsairs that are the problem and out of the influence of the Corsair Elders.

On the Gallia front, I'm still working that behind the scenes. Agreed, we have higher priority issues BUT my purpose of the embargo was to bring the royalty to the table of diplomacy. After all, why should we "greedy, treasonous Zoners" provide anyone who won't give us the chance to work with them a product that we mine ourselves in the presence of Nomads and other hostiles? That and it may get the Junkers on board to help us with this as they too use it to build ships in Gallia. Like I said, I'm still working this on the side. I've found some of the Naval Officers willing to talk.

I like your idea, Captain Trogdor on Sprague. Might be a nice side project to check into. I forget what the planet has to offer but yes, it may take some focus off of FP1.

So, I think we should take these issues one-at-a-time and go from there.

Dr. John Henry Holliday
Comm ID: Ivan.Ilyich
Source: Freeport 2, Bering
Destination: Council of Zoners
Encryption Level: 2

Firstly, we congratulate our new chairman, Malaclypse.

Some Issues:

Standardization of NFZs (High)- While each facility is unique, the speed of modern travel and the increasing use of our bases means that confusion can arise when the rules are different everywhere one goes.

Issue with Corsairs in Omega-49, General Security (Med-high)- quite frankly the corsairs have been a greater pain than a partner as of late. Perhaps it will die down in a few months, perhaps not, but debate is needed regardless. Personally I think destroyer and eagle patrols within 49 and other high-risk areas (Delta, for example) would not be unreasonable.

Hostiles list (med-high)- I think we should be able to take direct action against repeat violators. Bounties only get so far.

Freeport 7 (Med)- Rebuilding would be wonderful. We don't have a strong presence in the Sigmas, and it could help us further relations with the GMG. 13, 17, or 19, all are good candidates.

Sprague (Med-low)- A good idea I think. It is only natural for us to occupy abandonded places.

- Mr. Ilyich

Incoming Transmission
Comm ID: Aurelia Silvan
Recipient: Zoner Council

1: Standardization of NFZ distances for all Freeports and facilities (High);
-There is no reason not to have NFZs around our non-Freeport bases. The reasons they are around the Freeports is the same as they'd be around our other bases.. People make fights, and those fights can damage our stations just as easily as the ships involved. I'd prefer a 10K NFZ around all stations, rather than a 5K.
2: Whether to form a Council "Hostiles" list, or to use independent "contractors" to deal with those who break Zoner Law (High);
-As we saw before, people are willing to do anything for some quick cash. That includes faking their deaths and scamming bounty offers. Not only does that mean they get away with their crimes, but they profit even more from it at the same time. Using independent contractors will get us nowhere. Not only that, but when people violate our laws and get away with just a small little bounty, we look weak and spineless. I have heard more times than I care to count how Zoners are unwilling to deal with their own problems. This has been true for the most part.

We have been lazy and irresponsible thus far. It is time we take things into our own hands. No one can claim we lack the equipment or funding to do this. Pirates aren't afraid of us sending the Bounty Hunters after them.. Many already fight the Bounty Hunters regularly, so this would have no effect. But if they know an angry Aquilon or Jinkasu will be bearing down on them next time they break one of our laws, they may think twice.
3: The issue of pirating, and our "agreement" with the Corsairs, in Omega 49 (High);
-The 'agreement' has been outdated for years. Corsairs seem to think Omega-49 belongs to them these days. They have no respect for us or our ownership of the system. We welcomed the IMG into Omega-49, but some of the most influential Corsairs, The Brotherhood, threatened them shortly afterwards. Our guests who are supplying us with the Niobium they mine. When the Corsairs attack the miners, the niobium doesn't get to us. So the Corsairs aren't hurting the miners, they're hurting us.

Omega-49 is a Zoner system, and Gran Canaria is a Zoner planet. If the Corsairs can't control themselves, we must take action. I would not advocate violence for this, except for the fact that these Corsairs aren't confining themselves to attacking only miners. Four Corsairs attacked two unarmed Zoner transports right in front of my Carrier. When I warned them and told them to leave Omega-49, they fired on those traders. Eventually firing on my ship as well. The Corsairs have gotten well out of hand, and the situation will only get worse the longer we allow it to fester.

The Corsairs must be told that we won't allow their predations in Omega-49 any longer. If this isn't stopped now, it'll only lead to worse violence later.
4a: Coriko Lameos' motion to ban members of the Slavers Union (Medium);
-Zoners.. It's become more than a name in Sirius, its become a definition for neutrality. But how can neutrality exist when we punish people who have taken no actions against us? The Slavers Union has never harmed or threatened the Zoners in any way. Should we ban the Bounty Hunters Guild because they capture and imprison Corsairs and Outcasts? They are treated like slaves in the prisons they are sent to, so I fail to see the difference between them. The Outcasts use slaves, so should we ban them from Freeports as well? You cannot pass legislation against one party for their actions without passing the same legislation against all other parties committing the same acts.

I do not like the presence of slavery in Sirius, but it is not our place to take action against it. If the ZAS wishes to, fine. It is their choice. But why should we force that choice upon other Zoners? The ZAS' crusade against slavery is just that; Their crusade. Not the Zoner's as a whole. Yes, we value freedom and that is why we live in the Border Worlds. But these slavers have done nothing to us, so what justification do we have to ban their ships from our stations?

Not only that, but doing this would damage our reputation with the Outcasts. I wouldn't want to live on Freeport 10 if such an act was passed. That will be covered in my next issue.
4b: Actions of ZAS (Zoners Abolishing Slavery) vessels, primarily in Tau-37 (Medium);
-Two days I received a message from Juan Zavala, an Outcast Don. He informed me of the ZAS threatening slave cargo ships in Tau-37.. Slave ships heading to Malta. I'd like to think I don't need to remind anyone of the fact that our relations with the Outcasts are not the best.. If we harm their economy, they'll harm ours. Furthermore, it is not our place to get involved. And under no circumstances should we ever be threatening Outcast ships who are doing nothing wrong to us. I was disheartened to hear a ZAS ship was accompanied by an Order destroyer, and was using him to intimidate the Outcasts.

If the ZAS wants to stop slavery, fine. But do so in a non-violent manner that will not harm our relations with other organizations. I don't want our neutrality to suffer. Hostilities with the Outcasts would cause more deaths than their slavery ever will.
6: Doc Holliday's suggestions regarding Gallia and a possible Iridium embargo (Low);
-I must ask; Is a corrupt and cruel dictatorship something that we wish to engage in trade with? They have already said they are not interested in trading with us 'greedy, treasonous Zoners.' So I say; Fine. Let them cut off trade with us. We stop Iridium from going to the Gallic Royal Family. It seems to me like The Council would be much more willing to trade with us, and with them I won't have to worry about being shot when I try to drop off my cargo. The Gallic Royal Family has already declared that it will fight us Sirians when it is able.. So why should we be helping them? Send the Iridium to The Council, allowing them an advantage they could use to win this civil war. At least they aren't bent on war.
-Aurelia Silvan
<div align="right]End Transmission
==Incoming Transmission==
Comm ID: Sylvia Lytaron
Identification: Zoners Aboloshing Slavery
==Opening Transmission==

I hate to disrupt your meetings, honorable council, but that Order Carrier, captained by "Aki Kimura," just happened to show up during my slave interdiction. It was not intentional on my part, and I did not use the carrier for intimidation purposes.

Again, apologies for the interruption, but I would like to set the record straight.

-SL

==Closing Message==
==Transmission Terminated==
Comm ID: GJEUVN38V719BELHA
To: Zoner Council
ID Trace: Sebastien Coen, Freeport 9, Omicron Theta.

Displaying...

The standardisation of NFZ distances for all Freeports and Zoner facilities and systems is of utmost importance. I think it should be 10k, simply for the reason that those who fire within the 5k distance may still hit the station and claim they were outside the 5k limit. With the distance at 10k, any violations of the NFZ will be clear, easy to idenitfy and deal with.

The question of whether to form a Council "hostiles" list, or to use independent "contractors" to deal with those who break Zoner Law is another pressing matter. Personally, contractors have proved rather useless. They are either corrupt or ineffective. We have the strength and resources to do this. I see no point in not doing so. If perhaps each delegate takes responsibility for the protection of a Freeport and/or Zoner installation it could easily be done.

The issue of pirating, and our "agreement" with the Corsairs, in Omega 49 is, in my view, null and void. You do not break our neutrality. Especially not in our home system. Not to mention firing on a Zoner ship? This would usually be a precursor to war.

Delegate Doc Holliday's suggestions regarding Gallia and a possible Iridium embargo have a lot of impact on our future. They should be dealt with immediately after these baseline issues are sorted out.

Transmission End.