Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
To: The Council of Zoners

Great Council,

I guess the reason why we are not voting on a Cardamine or Artifacts prohibion is explained easily: Usually Cardamine and even Artifacts do not beg for a release.

Delegate Tate, I have to agree with your considerations. I would never like to see prisoners being released by such a Freeport rule, only slaves.

Thus I have to abstain from voting.

Sincerely,
Louisa Salome
.::Incoming Transmission::.
Message to : Everybody
Comm ID: (]c[)Yev.Lightwing
Subject: he loves me, he loves me not

I promised myself I wouldn't vote simply because the issue is done and over with--

However, the proposal IS sound and appears to be fair to most folks and in accordinance with Zoner philosophy: Laissez Faire.

"Yay-shmay"

Now, will we be done here or shall we vote again because someone didn't like the outcome?

Comm ID: Doc Holliday

I know this much. We can debate all day and night over the issue of slavery and as we do, Bretonia and Bowex moves in on Gran Canaria much like Liberty did on Erie. I don't mind spearheading the effort to stop it but I really don't want to go it alone.

-Doc
==INCOMING TRANSMISSION==
Transmission ID: ZO-0113-09
Subj1: Repeal...
Subj2: Bretonians...

Due to the lack of information and compelling arguments, I must once again Abstain on this matter.

NOTES:
Had there been more information as to how this (the release of slaves) process would work and how it would affect those who frequent our stations, I would have been more inclined to take a stance. Although I strongly feel that slavery is wrong, we cannot simply "paper clip" this movement to another issue. This must be discussed thoroughly and as a separate afair.

As to the issue of the impending intrusion of Bretonians, I believe this Council should take diplomatic action before this gets too far. I propose we draft a treaty of sorts stating that we will allow a set limit of Bretonian Refugees in O-49. It should also state that in the event the Leeds System falls to the Kusarians, we will build a temporary colony station in O-3 near FP2 and place it under the Council's ZoI. Please note that this is merely a suggestion and if this cannot work or needs to be edited, please feel free to comment.

-Alan Mosinger
Comm ID: Chairman Mal

Delegates,

Should the current "Item 4" be rescinded, and replaced with the following:

Resolved, that the Council of Zoners will not take any official position on the legality or illegality of the slave trade in what is considered Zoner space. This resolution does not stop any individual Zoner from following his or her conscience, but affirms the Council's neutrality in this matter.

How say you, Delegates? Yea, Nay, or Abstain.

If Yea, the current "Slave Liberation Ordinance" will be null and void, and replaced with the proposed Shestov revision.

If No, the current Policy stands, and traders, when docking ONLY, must release any human cargo carried.

Now I want to make sure that the Delegates understand:

A "Nay" vote, is actually a vote to continue making the release of slaves a "Condition of Docking". It leaves the current "Liberation of Slaves" caluse in force.

A "Yea" vote removes all language forcing vessels to sell their slaves, and allows Zoners to react as their concsiences dictate on the issue. In effect, it repeals the law, giving traders the right again to dock and undock with slaves.

I point this out because one or two Delegates seem to have just the opposite understanding about what they were voting for or against.

Please reread both the original motion, forcing the release, and the "Two Bears" motion we vote on now, which removes that condition.

If after considering this, you wish to change your vote, please do so before tomorrow midnight's deadline.

Thank you.
Comm ID: Doc Holliday

A treaty with people who are infringing upon our home world? To me, that's giving in to what they want. Still, let's wrap this slavery vote up and hit the ground running on Bretonia and Gran Canaria. Rest assured, there are "others" who have interest in the matter as well.

-Doc
to: the council

"this is of - well... somewhat urgent matter. - up to now, i still considered the captain "Billy" of the ship "big.bully" rather a nuicence of a vexing nature - than a real thread. - but these things have changed.

i know that he was red listed before - and i seeked to verify that - but he has clearly stepped over a line. there are some logfiles that were recorded last time he ran his mouth in delta.

[Image: bigbullytalk01.png]
[Image: bigbullytalk02.png]
as you can see, - he approached not only me, but every zoner with an exceptionally hostile and aggressive attitude - asking pilots around to activly "kill zoners". i had a little talk with the station crew and we came to the end that this clearly disrupts our commerce and station safety.

i do not know what he said in the end, cause he got lost in "code" by that time. - furthermore he also tried to make contact with our most dangerous enemy....

[Image: bigbullynomads01.png]
looks like he was refused by this *cough* superior race - just as he was rejected by his former fellows, the guild. - but fact is that he is seeking friendship with enemies of the zoners.

this record might change the mind of those that were unsure about the response team - like myself. now i see that there IS a necessity in very special cases where it is actually beneficial to take a more forceful course.

i might add that all he did was verbal nature. - at no time he came into close sensor range to FP11, so maybe he still is rather a dog that only barks but doesn t bite - but since he asked other pilots to engage zoners.... this dog has still become too dangerous to keep.

so - these files should justify hostile actions against him - additionally to the former actions.

E.Tate.
Comm ID: Chairman Mal

Madame Jinx,

Rest assured that this piece of effluent Chao pie is on our radar.

In fact, as Chairman, I have unilaterally placed his name at the top of the CoZ's "Declared Hostiles" list, without even asking for a voice vote or show of hands on the matter. He will be dealt with.

Unfortunately, the pathetic tool dotes on the attention he receives from his "bully-ness". It is a sad commentary on his mental state, but nevertheless true. I often wonder if ignoring him totally, as you attempted to do, would not be the best course of action after all.

Now, Delegates, we have a Motion on the floor. While I appreciate the zeal of sombunall delegates to address the Bowex matter, I urge you to withold your comments until the current Motion is settled. "Never Pistle while you're Whissing" should be our motto when discussing issues of vital importance to our Brethren.

I would also like to share with you something that is emblazoned in burning yellow letters on the wall of my Office/Sanctuary back at the Temple. (The Popes urged me to move from my weightless perch in the Geode's central dodecahedron.. something about the glimpse of flapping genitalia under my Robe scaring off the new Acolytes....)

I urge you to ponder this when considering any vote before this Council:

Celine's Third Law

An honest politician is a national calamity.

Celine recognizes that the third law seems preposterous from the beginning. While a dishonest politician is interested only in bettering his own lot through abusing the public trust, an honest politician is far more dangerous since he is honestly interested in bettering society through political action, and that means writing and implementing more and more laws.

Celine argues that creating more laws simply creates more criminals. Laws inherently restrict individual freedom, and the explosive rate at which laws are being created means that every citizen in the course of his daily life does not have the research capacity to not violate at least one of the plethora of laws. It is only through honest politicians trying to change the world through laws that true tyranny can come into being through excessive legislation.

Corrupt politicians simply line their own pockets. Honest idealist politicians cripple the people's freedom through enormous amounts of laws. So corrupt politicians are preferable according to Celine.

Fellow Delegates,

I do not imply that any of us are dishonest, nor that we should be corrupt. I do however believe that Celine's warning about honest politicians is a message to us all.

I would hope to seek a middle way.. a Zoner Way.

When a politician tells you there is a "price for freedom", you can believe him.

That is as far as 'honesty" should be employed... the honesty to acknowledge that the creation of yet more laws bears its own curse.

Let us choose freedom whenever possible, over paying a "price" for it.
Let us pursue the Zoner Way.
to: the council

"due to a confusion - i have to reiterate my vote. - it appears i messed up the yes and no. - my vote is "no". - which means ... we force slavers/and other traders to release slaves. - but this vote only concerns "slaves" (// the commodity slaves - not other pilots that are basicly held as slaves )

only other captives we should concern ourselves with are zoners, GMG pilots and order pilots ( our allies ) - we should not ask for other. - ah, i m not sure if our vote distinguished the cases that much.

if the vote concerns slavers to release all their captives that are held against their will - i d have to say that it is none of our business. - in that case - i d have to say "yes" -> no regulation of releasing any cargo when docking with our stations.

i hope that hasn t increased the confusion but cleared up my position"
[comm ID: Coriko Lameos]

A difficult proposition to arise, from my perspective.

I abhor slavery, but as with many other issues here we have neither the manpower or diplomatic power to enforce the current ruling. Diplomatically speaking, it is a bad idea, as is the removal of freedom from our 'guests'. Whilst I may have voted 'yea' for this ruling previously, with the clauses of the repeal now operating for our benefit, and the benefit of all zoners, I will, almost regretfully, vote yea.