Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"This is a valid point. The council has done what it set out to do in the first place. Discuss the validity of thew AW as zoners. This is a circus. Nomads this! Nomads that! Nomads nomads everywhere.

I think that this whole nomad mess should be moved elsewhere and this council should be used only for issues that are of utmost importance to the zoners. Not that I am saying that the nomad situation is unimportant, but we are tossing in any reports and sightings of nomads we hear of.

Close it down? No, we have worked too hard to get this together and to disband it would be a waste of many hours.

However, I believe that this council should only concern itself with zoner internal affairs. For example, if someone is out of line, or if we should give aid to an ally given a situation. We never got a vote about this nomad issue, yea or nay, but we should keep this simple. Put an issue on the table, discuss it and vote on it."

I vote yea, the council, stays, but reforms are in order.
on the motion then...

for me, it's a Nay. Disband the Council.
Message to: Council of Zoners at Large
Comm ID: F-23 Discordia, Scribe Pro Tem

*Monitoring.

*In the absence of Chairman Drake, I acknowledge a valid motion by the TAZ, seconded by Meiun.

*As Scribe, I hereby call for a vote of the Members.

*On the Motion:

"Should the Council of Zoners continue as an Advisory and Oversight Body for the Zoners of Sirius?"

*How say you, Yea or Nay?*

[TAZ]: Abstains
[AW]:
[\JG/]:

Elizabeth "Jinx" Tate: Yea
Isaac Drake:
Octavius:
Smiley: Yea
Leroy_Fenning: Abstains
Vendhyan:
Grayson Burrows:
Tommy: Yea
Patric: Abstains
Meiun: Nay
Ikash:
This is Tommy hereby voting Yay
Opening channels >>>

Transmission from Freeport 11:

"here is a copy of what was broadcasted to nearby friends about the yesterdays incident. its not as detailed as it can be, nor is it really worked out perfectly at that time. I had little time and it was important to just report a general idea of the events quickly:

<<< Transmission from the Persephone -II-
military encryption level 3

"This is Jinx of the Persephone II, today, we made contact with the Nomads today! Instead of chasing them down we tried to talk to contact them verbally though. It appeared that it was possible to have some sort of conversation with them.

We had three different contacts around. one was showed up as Blitz, another as natura, and a third one as eye. they adressed the guardians directly, but their ability to communicate was rather limited and simple. It appeared that we faced several personalities of one mind. one was rather aggressive, one was rather cautious and another curious, but they were all confused about humans.

from what was extracted from the long conversation, it appeared that those specific nomads would not seek more combat, but rather like a truce as much as we did, but the wish for vengeance still appears too great to achive a true truce.

maybe the Nomads need more time to make up "their" mind or we need more ways to gain their trust, in case we wish to gain their trust anyway or in case its even possible to gain a nomads trust.

most parts of the conversation was saved on the computer of the persephone and can be uploaded if needed, but for now, a general impression of the whole chat shall be enough.

in the whole process, the Jupiter guild made intense attempts to keep the conversation going, but at some point, there appeared not to be any more progression with it all. the corsairs and the order was called in, too, but it seemed that the nomads will to communicate was at an end finally.

we shall wait for further chances to talk to the nomads in question and see what the future will bring us. - right now, we are hopeful to achieve a peaceful agreement, allthough that might come to problems with other factions throughout sirius.

this message shall be send to the council of the zoners aswell and may be a basis for further discussions about how to proceed with the nomad matter.

Jinx out"

End of the transmission, high security level
>>>

We made attempts to make contact. Unfortunately, we are not perfectly informed about the nature of those nomads, and we all felt rather uneasy to even talk to them and try to work out something. We took up a very passive position and asked for their terms of condition rather than dictating ours as we see an end of the hostilities would benefit us all more at allmost any cost.

However, we made clear that the close range around zoner installations, which include the station, the satelite and the Omicron-Minor jumphole along with the fixed zoner defense platforms shall remain untouched and not to be approached by the nomads.

sadly though, their ability for human speech was less than limited and so there was no truce done at that time. the situation remains tense, allthough the nomad ships did not enter the range of the station in a hostile manner. we must monitor their behaviour closely in the near future. if the nomad ships enter the sensor range of freeport 11, we must consider them hostile again and must forget about what was attempted to do yesterday. we are pretty sure they got the drift about respecting our space in omicron-delta, even if they didn t like that.

in the whole discussion, the term "vengeance" was often used, so it appears, that the nomads are anything but rational beings, but driven by emotions to a much bigger extend than we thought. this term appeared to block allmost any other attempt to work on a solution.

about the corsair affair which followed...

the JG did call in the TBH which was a fair move, as the zoners only claim the station and its close range of delta, but the corsairs and the bounty hunters claim most of the rest of delta. as it would not have been smart to ask the guild for their appearance at that time, the THB represented the corsairs in that matter. Now the corsairs diplomatic ways and the zoners ways are very different and the corsairs reaction towards the nomads is more than understandable.
attacking the nomad at that time would have been desastrous though. we don t know much about the real intentions of the nomads, but attacking one, that appeared to be interested in making a peaceful contact would have put all the effords down. a war without much of a chance to get to a truce might have been the result. - so the JG did right to make sure the nomad which was considered neutral at that time and given an embassador status was to remain unharmed.

if we manage to work out a truce with the nomads, it will only affect our space of influence. the nomads and the corsairs MUST work out their own peace then as we can only speak for ourselves.

again, its sad that deneldo-mori was disbanded from the council before he was able to give us more details about the nomads. so there is a lot of guesswork done when dealing with them. we are working on it and making a great efford. the JG has shown strength and presence in delta, and ensured it to be a much safer place, but its not yet over.

about continuing the council - i would say YAY, allthough i was rather kicked out of the last pressing discussion when it was very important to talk about the nomads. its the zoners gathering place right now, rather inefficient and slow, but its the only one we have.

have a nice day, Jinx"

End of the transmission
Malaclypse to Council Members:

Madam Tate, whether your issue was a "pressing discussion" or not is certainly subject to debate.

It would appear that you have taken it upon yourself to act without benefit of this Council's deliberation.

So be it. It is on your hands. I feel it is ludicrous in the extreme to be considering a dialog with any nomad, regardless of what brand of smoke they're blowing up your behind; but I have received some good advice in the last few hours.

Meiun's comments about the philosophy of Zoners in general was beneficial to my state of mind. I also chatted briefly with one of our TAZ members, Sarah Yabyum; who pointedly reminded me that the TAZ are Discordians first, and Zoners second. She also gently reminded me that "Temporary" is indeed part of our name and our Creed.

For those sound reasons, I am sorely tempted to change my vote on the motion to a Nay, and get on with the business of the TAZ. I assure you that if this Council shows even the slightest hint of giving Credence to some peace agreement with murderous Nomads, I will change my vote in a heartbeat; and if that fails, I will withdraw the TAZ from Council Membership. I am as sick to death of this issue as Brother Smiley seems to be.

In fact, for all I care at this point, you can rent the Nomads bloody Luxury suites on Freeport 11. Or better yet, just give it to them as a "Love Gift"! The commodities available there are pathetic, the journey to Delta is long and arduous, and the company is less than stellar. Perhaps the Nomads can make better use of it than we do.

I have not been amused atall lately. I intend to regain that presence of mind and capacity for amusement again, one way or another. And, I may just begin by attempting to be amused by the audacity of this suggested "Peace" with a bunch of gibbering mutated blue squids.

Malaclypse
"i am sad about such a response, indeed. whatever your plans are or were, - you haven t revealed them to those involved in direct contact to the nomads. how many attacks must be endured untill you d have moved in? we suffered allmost daily attacks by not only the harbinger, but also an ever growing fleet of nomad fighters. ( there are now at least 5 minions )

we could have waited with all our attempts to make a contact, yes - but for what gain?. meanwhile i had moved repair vessels to the freeport, evacuate the population, and have the station run at a minium crew. we have it guarded permanently, made many visitors aware of the dangers.

we were told that the nomads would not like to fight the station, that it might be a misunderstanding after all. who have you contacted to assist in that matter so far? - i really don t know. for me, it was important to call the JG in, cause they are experienced in both, diplomatic matters aswell as combat matters.

doing a diplomatic attempt was not my sole decission. we discussed it with those partys being present at that time, which was corsairs, jupiter guild, zoners, and order.

if you do indeed have a way or a solution about the issue in delta, please enlighten us, but make sure there will be no more nomad attacks. i don t care if you nuke the nomads into oblivion so they don t dare to exit omicron-Iota anymore or if you start to talk to them, i am only interested in the result - which must be that the station is safe.

i have seen nothing more than insults from you so far during the time, i reported about the freeport from your side, nothing whatsoever constructive. i do know you have your own plans indeed, but if it doesn t help in omicron-delta, i am afraid, things will go their own way.

i am sure every faction currently involved in omicron-delta is open minded and up for receiving your experience council. - but it must come quickly. its on you to contact the factions involved if you like things to go your way. and you must inform those involved about your plans, too.

the newly found jumphole to one of the nomad home systems is highly dangerous to delta. and the closest human installation to it is freeport 11. i am not willing to give up the station - but if the nomad attacks proceed, we might be forced to do so. when freeport 11 is completely destroyed, there may be no chance to rebuild it with nomads swarming into the system.

wish you a nice day, Jinx"

//ooc i m not sure how close igiss or others watch that issue, or if they take a part in it anyway - but if they do, and attacks proceed - i don t want to see freeport 11 turn into a debris field in the next version, wich might be possible or ... lets say plausible.
*Eddie P. stumbles into the meeting room obviously half-cocked on some brew from the bar. He stares around the room, eying the delegates. Upon seeing Mal he squints then smiles devilishly...*

Oi, you tosser! Are you still playing preschool with these amateurs? Tis a poor practise of patience and platitude to pander to pansy ponies unprime when your pineal props your pair o' digms higher than they pay to perceive...

*...cough...*

*As Eddie stumbles through the room past Mal it immediately becomes clear to the entire room that his fly is undone... whata man in this day and age is doing with a zipper fly is first on their minds*

Hmmm what have you lot been barking about...

*He grabs the neat print out of the minutes and reads them, smearing Barbecue sauce on the first page*

Well isn't this fun... Asgard... Jupiter... Nomads... DIPLOMACY!? Are you mad Jinxy ma' dear? Reasoning with Nomads? We got a hard enough time keeping the poly-tishans from burninga hole 4 ways through Sirius, you really think we can talk them down from 'Kill all humans' to 'play nice and share the pie'? There's a reason my ship looks like crap... well thats cause I don't paint it never... but I swear some of that mess on the dash happened when a Nomad BS shot at me when I left Gammu and spilled my fresh squeezed Veranda juice onto the dash and there were sparks and lights went out, the computer's voice modulated a few tones and now its all sticky and I need hand-san every time I do pre-flight... no, can't trust 'em.

*Eddie turns and leaves without giving anyone a chance to answer*
"Should the Council of Zoners continue as an Advisory and Oversight Body for the Zoners of Sirius?

Patric abstains from this vote.

"and that is why we should have listened to all the information that could have been provided to us. we are facing different nomads there. there are the "lost ones" and the newly arrived species. call it a nomad hoax, i don t know - maybe we are again only their playthings, but isn t it smarter to try to talk to them before we shoot them?

as far as i can see it, we can deploy enough forces in delta to nuke those few nomads to dust. they might be strong - but not numerous .... at that time.

i am not saying that attempting to talk to them is the right way, but it was the way obvious at that time. if we decide to go the violent way and to keep them at bay by placing an army in the system, - that d be fine with me, too. but so far, there has been no word at all how the rest of the zoners want to deal with the issue.

keep in mind, our space of influence is only the very close space around our installations, we shall not claim the whole system - and we don t have the people to patrol the vast space of delta, nor the right to do so. this is either the orders duty, the bounty hunters job, as they hired most of the station as their base or the corsairs job, cause they have a station of their own in the system.

again, i ask the council to present us with decissions. we must decide if we want to fight them or if we want to talk to them. if we want to fight them, we must make sure that the station is secure at all cost, that means NO nomad must ever get into the close range to the station or it must pay with its life.
Delta has been a quite system so far, it ll take a lot of efford to get forces to that system and to make them aware of the dangers and the boredom. what we need are guards that take their job seriously at all times. personally, i am still tending towards a diplomatic solution. if there is a tiny chance that the nomads see reason, and from what we have seen, there is a chance, we should take it. if it turns out that they are just playing with us or that they just don t understand the meaning of diplomacy, we must make sure they never dare to enter delta again. we shall not sink as low as nomads, vengeance should not be the force that drives us, but understanding."