Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
--Incoming Transmission--
--ID: Rashida--

Rashida sits on a spartan chair, with a small pile of paper in front of her on some kind of table. Running her finger down the first sheet, she begins:

"Lorra fings 'ere, let's 'ope I dun miss anyfing...

"Num'mer one; standardisashun o' NFZs. Yeah, we needs dis. It's durn annoyin' tryin' ta work out where da NFZ ends...are we in Omega-3, Omicron-Theta, or stuck in 41's sun? While ya can see da logic in a 10k one (dat bein' da longest distance ya can see ships at), no guns dat I 'as seen (an' I seen a fair few, mind yew...) 'ave dis sorta range. It's also kinda 'ard ta see when people are firin' at each uvver at dese ranges...plus, I feels dat it's a bit o' an infringement on our neighbours ta essentially say 'yeah, alla di space is ours'...5k should do it, dat bein' da upper end o' capship range an' all.

"Num'mer 2: 'Ostilities an' 'ow ta 'andle 'em. Now, y'all know I is allus fer da peaceful option, an' most people as infringes on our laws is us'ly apologetic an' nice after. 'Owever, we does 'ave certain...elements...what need dealt wiv, an' da onlee language dey seems ta unnerstand is violence. Unfortunate as 'tis, space is a violent place...we needs summat dat can respond in kind.

"Num'mer 3: 'Sairs in 49. Now, what I 'ears is da followin': We asked da 'Sairs ta come inta 49 an' make sure dat dere was no one wantin' ta take da planet from us. In return, we gave 'em co ordinates o' jump 'oles ta operate agin' 'Tonia. From what I's seen, the 'Sairs feel dat 'protectin'' us involves shootin' anyfin' dat is norra 'Sair or a Zoner (an', sometimes, dey shoots Zoners, too) in 49. Canaria, even as an 'aven planet, is still a trade 'ub. We still requires supplies, an' needs ta export deuterium. If da 'Sairs feels it's dere business ta interfere wi' our trade, our status wi' 'em defin'tly needs lookin' inta.

"Nummer 4: Slavers an' ZAS. Well, dis's a veree tricky un fer me. See, I likes me freedom, me independence from 'ouse law an' what-not...'owever, we cannae simply up an' ban or attack slavers...dey's makin' a livin' too. 'Ell, I likes me non-addicshun ta Cardi, thankee-veree-much, but I ain't gonna propose we ban all cardi smugglers or attack 'em on sight...not onlee is dis 'ipocritical in terms o' da kind o' free trade we wants ta encourage, but it's gonna get certain people riled up wi' our acshuns. An' dat we do not want. Sure, campaign peacefully, and inform ('s long as yer informashun is correct...misinformashun is worse 'n perpetratin' an 'evil' act), but outright 'ostility, I's agin'.

She turns over the top sheet, pulls a flask out from under the desk, and takes a swig, before continuing,

"Num'mer 5: Gallia an' embargoes. Nuffin' much ta say 'ere. Ifn they's gonna shoot us fer bringin' stuff to 'em, we's not gonna bring it. Take it ta dere enemies, instead, such as dey can grow stronger, beat da 'ostiles, overrun dere bases, an' set up as our new trade partners. Easy-peasy.

"Num'mer 6: No fly zone at Freeport 7 ruins, an' construcshun o' a beacon. Well, I's all fer constructin' a beacon, but wha's da point if no one can visit it?...

"Num'mer 7: Colonisashun o' Sprague. Is dis really necessaree? Wha' resources does Sprague 'old as we needs? Is da 'uge unnertakin' as is a colonisashun effort worth da returns?

"Finally, num'mer 8: Return ta Canaria. Well, 'slong as ya makes sure me comms channels is up ta date, I ain't got no problem wi' where it's physic'ly based...although, ifn we 'as anuvver crisis, an' needs ta meet in person, remainin' in 74 may be more advantageous 'n 'avin' ta move everyfin' across dere again, aye?"

She flips over the last sheet of paper, and the whole pile cascades onto the floor. Amidst much vehement cursing, the feed cuts out.
**Incoming transmission**
Comm ID: ZonerStoner
Name: Mohammad-Sadiq: Al Noori

Mohammad-Sadiq would like to place a vote on behalf of the ZOnerStoner crew regarding motions in matter in following order:

Motion 1: Yes
Motion 2: Yes
Motion 3: Yes
Motion 4: Yes
Motion 5: Nay
Motion 6: Sustained
Motion 7: Yes
Motion 8: Yes
Motion 9: Yes
Motion 10:m Yes

**End of transmission**
*Signal lost*

Quote:Motion 1: Yes
Motion 3: Yes
Motion 5: Nay
Motion 6: Sustained
Motion 10:m Yes

Thank you, Delegate Mohammad-Sadiq. If I could ask all Delegates to summarize their votes in this manner, it will make a final tallying much easier. Feel free to amend/edit previous recorded votes for this purpose.

I will not impede the process by suggesting at this time that the Corsair issue has become an extremely high priority. Please continue making your voices heard on the matters before this Council.
Motion 1: Yup
Motion 2: Nope
Motion 3: uhm...
Motion 4: Well....
Motion 5: Nope
Motion 6: I dont know....
Motion 7: Nope
Motion 8: Nope
Motion 9: Nope
Motion 10: Yup

Motion 11: Meh...

Uhm.... I think I thunk that right, if not I can thunk it again.

Comm ID: Peter Kristall:
Delegates:
I am forced to make this transmission to you from Planet Cambridge, as my ship was severely crippled in the recent fracas in Omega-3/Omega-5/Cambridge systems.
I thank the Spirit, Eris, my lucky stars and whoever and whatever else is watching over me that my ships was disabled in the Cambridge system. My ship is at this moment being reassembled by the best engineering students in Sirius, and my crew has recieved the most excellent medical care Cryer can offer on Cambridge Research station. I have no doubt that, without both of these fortunate happenstances, the Spirit of Freeport 7 would never have flown again.
...I need to confess to a poor command descision, fellow Zoners. I was following the corsair Tuco.Pacifico to ensure he did not fire on any Zoner. Tuco parked his ship directly above Cadiz, so did I. Another corsair, one OPG-Grimly, demanded that I move. I refused to comply. He fired on my ship. At this point, I ordered to return fire, knowing full well that we were targeting not Grimly... but Tuco. I abandoned any pretense of moral high ground when I gave that order, and it was a bad tactical move as well. The corsairs tore me apart, and I was barely able to limp away to Cambridge, where they finished the job without even one of them being slightly damaged.
...I don't know what else to say...
-Peter Kristall
Comm ID: Doc Holliday
To: Peter Kristall

Captain Kristall,

For what it's worth, Commander Matok is recovering in a Cambridge medical facility with his medical officer on hand. My last report was that he is stable and was cursing. That's a good sign, actually! Klingons heal quick so hopefully he'll be up and at em' sooner than we think.

His decision to go into Omega 5 wasn't a wise one but one he made out of duty and honor. The BAF came to his aid at FP1 and he felt obligated to help. He paid for that decision today although he would tell you he would make that judgment again. I'm glad that he ordered his crew off before he went in. It was Matok's fight and Matok's fight alone.

Doc
Comm ID: Comerciante
To: Council of Zoners
  • 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. abstain
    4. Yes
    5. Yes
    6. undecided
    7. Yes
    8. Yes
    9. Yes
    10. Yes
    11. Yes
Cordova out.
Comm ID: Chairman Mal

Delegates,

Having read the statements on the Order/Guild issue, I will be placing it on our Agenda for future consideration.

Voting on the current Agenda items will close at 2400SMT on Tuesday next.

I am then inclined to entertain Delegate Silvan's suggestion to redistribute the weighting of votes on Council matters, in two ways, First, i would not figure any ratio between "organizations" and independents. One Zoner, one Vote. I can live with that, and without the headache of keeping track of how many votes each group should have. K.I.S.S. principle.

Secondly, it pains me to note that certain Delegates are conspicuous in their absence in the face of these critical matters. I do not suggest that every registered Delegate wax poetic on his views on every issue, but participation in Council votes would seem a requirement for continued membership in this Council.

I would also like to apprise the Council on the status of certain priviledged conversations between certain Zoners and certain members of certain Corsair councils. Sombunall of both believe that the recent events in Omega 3 and Omega 5 are an aberration in normal relations. A "burp", if you will. Shouldn't take much to relieve the gas.

Summarize and or register your Agenda votes, Delegates. Thank you.
**Incoming Transmission**

To: The Council of Zoners

Message reads

Reguarding the Order / Guild issue. Seems to me that a single hunter made a bad call and tried to use our no fire zone as a cover for his activities once threatened. While this situation has now been blown out of proportion by the BHG and Corsairs we must respond. I know of no holding facilities on our station except maybe eh drunk tank for the roudy ship's crews. This was clearly a siutation of a pilot using our NFZ for his own protection.

We have been over this situation time and time again with both the hunters and the Corsairs. They can not use the NFZ to escape their enemies. There can be no retreating into the NFZ. Take your trouble elsewhere. I wonder if the Hunter in question needs to be banned from our stations to serve as a warning to others who would do the same. Basically just like we would treat anyone who would abuse our hospitality.

Samuel Nichols
CEO - OSI

**end of Transmission**
Comm ID: Doc Holliday

Mr. Nichols, EVERYONE is using the NFZ as a safe haven. Corsairs, BH's, Order, everyone. We need to scrutinize the rules with it.

Onto the vote:

Motion 1: Yes
Motion 3: In light of recent events, this needs more looking into.
Motion 5: Yes
Motion 6: Yes
Motion 10: Yes
Motion 11: Yes