Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Incoming Transmission
Comm ID: Aurelia Silvan

First off, I have not given a blanket ban on the Apocalypses, and I have not permanently barred them from the use of our facilities; Yet. However, they were told to stop basing raids from Freeport 11. This decision was made around two and a half weeks ago. The transmission may be found here.

Now, on the specific situation last night; Apocalypse Now, a Mako-class Bounty Hunter Battleship appeared now Freeport 11. Both the Paradise and Captain Izii Helfari were on station. The Paradise demanded that the battleship not dock on the station for the captain, Saronsen Nighten, wanted to know what exactly the Apocalypse were doing at Freeport 11. As you should know, the Official Policies, specifically Section II, Clause 4, state that any Council Delegate has the right to end any gatherings inside of an NFZ with or without reason.

The problems began when the Apocalypse, in complete disregard to the Paradise, continued on its course and forcefully moored his ship to Freeport 11. As a result, the Paradise fired a warning shot, one and only one, at the Apocalypse Now. The shot did -not- penetrate the ship's shields. The Paradise ordered the Apocalypse to leave the 5K No-Fire Zone. Apocalypse moved to 4.9K and then bragged to the Paradise for refusing to follow his orders. It was at this point that I arrived. Captain Izii has documented evidence of the majority of the situation before I arrived, and both of us have documented evidence of everything that transpired afterwords.

I gave the Apocalypse the Official Policy's conditions regarding the No-Fire Zone and the Council of Zoner's Delegate's rights to ask anyone to leave the Zone at any time, and what the conditions were for actions taken afterwards.

Then I confronted Apocalypse about something he said to the Paradise prior to my arrival. The most disturbing part of this is that for one, Frank Zamboni is not a member of the Council of Zoners at all. Second, Elizabeth Tate, who goes by the nickname Jinx occasionally, does not have the authority to decide who may and may not use our equipment.. If anyone wishes to use more Zoner Equipment than our current policies, which may need updated, then they need the permission of the Council as a whole, not a single delegate who didn't even notify the Council at all. Furthermore, it seems Elizabeth Tate gave the Colonial Remnent full permission to conduct a major operation in Omicron Lost from Freeport 11. Now, we may have still allowed them to do that if they had asked this Council, but they didn't, they asked Ms. Tate. And instead of bringing the matter to the Council for deliberation, she simply gave them permission outright, which she did not have the authority to do.. I have spoken to Ms. Tate about these matters but it seems she is unwilling to cooperate and perform the duties and responsibilities that come with the perks of being a Council delegate.

I made Apocalypse aware of the fact that he must not use more than four pieces of Zoner equipment on a single ship, which is current policy, but simply got a "We'll see about that" as a response. As some of you may remember, I gave a message in this very channel asking if anyone had any objections to applying the current equipment policies towards the Apocalypse ships, and gave two full days for those who wished to to object. (Message ID#2161) I've received none so far, and this would be the third day, though I did receive encouragement by three delegates to move forward in doing so.

I also informed the Apocalypse ships that they can not base their raids from Freeport 11, nor station their fleets on Freeport 11, but got much the same response. That is, when he wasn't still ranting against and insulting the Captain of the Paradise, Saronsen Nighten. I must commend Captain Nighten for keeping his anger at being falsely accused and routinely insulted and taunted by the Apocalypse ships in check. I know many pilots who would have tolerated much less before taking action, but Captain Nighten restrained himself. I for one can not see why people believe what the Apocalypse say about Saronsen, while completely disregarding the chance that the blame was on the Apocalypse ships and not the Paradise. Saronsen may be young and inexperienced, but he does not start conflicts. Izii Helfari can testify to this, and I think Captain Nighten performed admirably.

I then spent considerably more time attempting to reason with Apocalypse and get them to understand what I was trying to tell them, but they were not receptive to it.

After over an hour of attempted discussion, I politely asked the Apocalypse to leave the area. This was in light that Apocalypse had violated the No-Fire Zone and were continuing to do so. By insulting, taunting, and threatening the Zoners, mainly the Paradise, they were in violation of the No-Fire Zone, as stated by the Official Policies, specifically Section II, Clause 2.

So by the right of the Official Policies, specifically Section II, Clause 5, we warned the Apocalypse vessels to leave the area, and gave them sixty seconds to begin moving. When we gave that warning, we got these responses; [1], [2], [3].

Given no other choice, the Paradise and Captain Izii, as well as a friendly Order Bomber who was present to see what was happening, engaged the Apocalypse vessels. Somehow, the Apocalypse ships were using prototype engines or some other equipment, for their battleship was moving at speeds up to 400ms. (They were cruising and ramming Saron with the BS and using it to propel the Apoc_Now at 400ms while still shooting.. Report was filed..) The Paradise was forced to retreat, and Captain Izii's fighter was taken out as the Apocalypse's Spatial, Apollo blew up. Once that happened, the Apocalypse now also fired on my unarmoured transport several times, despite the fact that I hadn't, and couldn't have gotten involved.

After that happened, the Apocalypse again forcefully docked Freeport 11 and stole several hundred units of hull and shield repair items before finally leaving and going to Kappa. Considering they left after the fight, it is my belief that they were looking for a fight to happen, Else they would have just left in the first place.

The Security Council did not make any of these decisions, especially in light of the fact that the Security Council does not yet exist. Considering this is a new plan I've presented, I'm giving the Council ample time to discuss it before I go through any steps towards actually creating it. The steps taken were decisions I made completely on my own, based solely on the Apocalypse's actions and what our policies, which were voted on and authorized by this Council, told me I was allowed to do.

The reasons I decided on this were many. For one, an announcement made by former-Chairman Doc Holiday towards the Apocalypse stated that they were not allowed to station their vessels on any Zoner stations. The second reason is that the Apocalypse have a habit of violating our No-Fire Zone, most of the time through taunts, threats, and insults towards others, but occasionally through violence, such as when this happened; The Apocalypse Now opening fire on the Order Carrier Megalith. Note: The Megalith was granted an Aquilon Carrier by this Council several weeks ago.
The third was that the Apocalypse ships were using a total of fourteen Zoner Battleship Cannons on their Makos, and fully loading their smaller ships with our equipment as well, including cruiser and gunboat weaponry. This is against the standard Zoner policy of four pieces of Zoner equipment maximum per non-Zoner vessel. This is a policy the Order, Bounty Hunters Guild Core, Corsairs, and everyone else abides by, and I see no reason for the Apocalypse vessels to be granted an exception when they have several alternative options to choose from. Again, I brought this matter up to this Council several days ago. (Message ID#2161)
The fourth was the repeated insults, threats, and taunts towards the Paradise, Captain Izii, myself, and the Council of Zoners in general by the Apocalypse Now. These actions were a violation of the No-Fire Zone policies described in the Official Policies, specifically Section II, Clause 2.

Rest assured, the Apocalypse ships will not be deemed hostile to Zoners unless either the Council decides that or the Apocalypse stick to their word and begin a 'manhunt' in two days time. Furthermore, we will not stop the Apocalypse from docking on our stations to resupply, but we will also not allow them to station fleets from our stations, as that is a direct violation of what they were told by former-chairman Holiday, and I see no reason to repeal the decision that was made. Besides, I don't have the authority to do so, the Council must vote if it wishes to repeal a former policy.

I hope this clears up many of the questions that the other Zoners have over the events that transpired last night.
-Aurelia Silvan
<div align="right]End Transmission
....::::Incoming Transmission::::.....
To: Council of Zoners

....::::Message Begins::::.....

Ms Silvan,

I was not refering to you when I made the statement about the blanket ban. That was issued by the captian of the Paradise; who does not have the authority to issue such a statement.

I am not siding with the Apocalypse on this. I would vote in favor of a full ban on them. I have encountered them myself numerous times in which they were disrespectful and refused to remove Zoner weaponry from their vessels when they were in clear violation of our laws. I also have witnessed them preparing for raids around our stations. So I would fully support such a measure. They have shown they cannot respect us, our laws, and only care for violence. Pretty clear why they are renegades to me.

Saronsen Nighten,

I want to commend you on protecting Freeport 11. I have witnessed you do so on more than one occasion; but I ask that you not act so hasty when dealing with clearly deranged people such as Apocalypse.

William Cross
Captian of the Mon Kal

....::::Message Ends::::.....
....::::End of Transmission::::.....
Incoming Transmission

Well first, let me clear one thing up. Saronsen Nighten is -not- the 'Chief of Security' as Ms. Tate called him. Saronsen Nighten is simply one of my assistants. If you could call anyone the 'Chief of Security' it would be Galen Watson, my Vice Chairman. If and when the Security Council is formed, it will be the Head of Security, but also under the command of the Council. If Saronsen does start behaving in a manner harmful to us then action will be taken, but so far I have not seen him do anything I would describe as harmful to the Zoners. What I have seen is the Paradise protecting Freeport 11 several times to the best of his ability.
-Aurelia Silvan
**Incoming transmission**
Comm ID: Mohammad-Sadiq Al Noori

Fellow delegates,

from what I've seen out of the evidence presented here and in message addressed to the CoZ by the Col. Kurtz there has been great deal of misunderstanding and hostility shown on both sides.
As for the Apoc wing it was a known fact that they were dangerous men, led by a demented minded officer, who had great number of enemies. Aggression is somewhat in their nature.

Although some of you here praise capt. Saronsen I must say that even before I learned that he has quite a short fuse. His willingness to apply force is quite disturbing. Shooting first then talking later is not the Zoner way, nor will it ever be! I know that much and I will not go into details since that is not relevant at the moment.

Not relevant because Apocs clearly broken the Zoner laws, by not obeying the orders issued by the Zoner Guard. But, we cannot ask them just to return that equipment since we know they are in specific situation and that they are willing to fight for it if necessary. They simply have no choice since they cannot use any BH equipment and according to Sirius-wide laws (imposed on us by the greater force which will not be named here) Zoner weapons are available to anyone.

I would like to propose that we determine certain compensation that Apoc wing has to pay to this Council in order to continue to use our weaponry and certain amount of credits they need to pay to us for using our facilities. This amount would be charged on monthly basis.

We are not in position where we can allow ourselves to get more enemies and Apocs have helped Zoners in past on several occasions. It is also known fact that they have friends among some of our old and respected members. This solution seems to be the most reasonable at this moment

May the peace be upon us all

Al Noori out

**End of message**
***Signal lost***
Incoming Transmission

That is something we can try, though judging by past experiences, it's not something I think they will accept, so we should have more than just this plan available. Furthermore, their use of that equipment causes several sensitive political issues.

And I would be much more lenient towards their use of our weaponry if they had no alternative, but they do. Several alternatives in fact. Cerberus turrets, Solaris turrets, Battle Razors, Mortars, Basic turret, which contrary to popular thought aren't that bad, considering our weapons are only 2.7% more powerful.. 2.7%, not 27%. The difference probably isn't even noticeable in a combat situation. These weapons truly are available for everyone.

This is not true of our own. 'Higher Powers' have not decried that we cannot restrict access to our own weaponry. If we decide to allow no one more than four pieces of our equipment unless they are a fellow Zoner, than we may do that.

I even offered to pay, out of my own pocket, for the costs of changing out weaponry to Apocalypse, but was rejected. This is why I don't found the attempt to have them pay us for the use of that equipment as one that will succeed. So we must have a secondary plan to fall back on. The problem is, our options are limited. The Apocalypse have taken action against us, and the only other alternative is to remove their access to all our stations until they get rid of the weaponry.
-Aurelia Silvan
End Transmission
to: the Council of Zoners

"what are the fundamental virtues of Zoners - as we are called especially by those that we left behind in the core? overwhelming rules and laws, oppression, favourism, corruption, mistrust - the bane of civilization and their pillars on which civilization sometimes is build on.

in the edgeworlds we seeked an easier life - a life void of overwhelming rules - a life where we can be free again - to prosper in a peaceful way.

we went a long way since then - we established stations, connections on many levels of society. - we developed dependencies, intercultural links - we managed to get the greatest enemies of sirius to respect us. - they may not like us - but they know that life is a lot harder without us. - that is the great achievement we made.

personally - i do not wish to loose our virtues. - our way of living - our freedom. - our laws are made to protect our property, our community relies on trust. - trust on an equal level. - our stations are run by local stationcommanders, cause only local folk can really gain the trust of local factions.

once we are led too much by a centralized body of men - the aspect of local dynamics will get lost - which will lead to destabilizing our safety.

since the charismatic and mostly spiritual head of the zoner movement malaclypse left the stage, - things appear less wanted - and more forced than ever. - but force is not what we zoners wish for. - freedom of decisions, freedom of choice. - it has ensured our safety for decades.

remember the old ways - and remember what we zoners are. when we come together like the council - we decide together. there is no one more equal than any other one. - that was the heart of the council."
Incoming Transmission

I fail to see where I've forced anything on the Zoners Ms. Tate. If you would care to oblige me by clearly pointing out those things I have done wrong, perhaps we could work on improving the situation.

I am likewise wondering how making the Apocalypse group face the consequences of their actions harms our values. In fact, it protects them. We conduct trade through our Freeports. We allow anyone on those Freeports, and we encourage people to come to them. At the same time, we must protect them from attack. Now tell me, how many pilots from the Corsairs or the Order will come to Freeport 11 if they know a fleet of Mako's is sitting there waiting for the first opportunity to shoot them, to shoot the Zoners, to shoot whatever they see in front of them? The answer would be none. Apocalypse has just shown itself willing to fire on transports, what is to stop them from doing it again?

What is to stop the Order from attacking the Apocalypse vessels? Why should the Order tolerate Freeport 11's No-Fire Zone if a fleet of battleships is staging themselves from that Freeport and using the No-Fire Zone to protect it from retaliation from the Order, or the Bounty Hunters Guild for that matter?

And if we let one group get away with breaking not one, not two, but four or five of our policies, what will others see? That they can get away with whatever they want. That they can use our equipment without restriction, fire on anyone and everyone they wish, regardless if they are in a No-Fire Zone or not. Make demands from the Zoners. Use our stations for their own uses.

When one group stages raids and fleets at a Freeport, the group they are attacking get outraged and they look for a way to get revenge. And what way do they have? Attack the station and the Zoners protecting their enemies.

You would rather us abandon our self-government for the demands and orders of other groups and factions. So I ask; How will our values survive under the command and control of people who use us to their own ends?
-Aurelia Silvan
**Incoming transmission**
Comm ID: Al Noori

Point is that there is no evidence they ever launched an attack from any Freeport. From what I've seen in Delta they were mostly attacked by their enemies and instantly after they dock they move out of the NFZ. That was the agreement they had with Doc. They also spend a lot of time in Kappa and I understand that's where they launch their attacks from.
I am still waiting to hear from capt. Saronsen since he has to explain his actions as well.
Delta is one if the few last systems where Zoners are safe from everybody else, except of course from Nomads. I don't see why we would want to change that.
It's the hotheaded captains of oh so many Jinkusus out there that have brought us to where we are at the moment.
I believe that no action should be taken against them until we hear from other delegates as well.

Al Noori out

**End message**
***Signal lost***
Incoming Transmission

I've already explained what happened between Saronsen and the Apocalypse. Furthermore, I have personally witnessed the Apocalypses launching raids on Omicron Minor from Freeport 11. Several other Zoners have, the Order has, the Bounty Hunters Guild has, and even a few people not associated with any of the three groups have noticed it.
-Aurelia Silvan
to: chairwoman Aurelia

"funny you respond to my appeal to the old virtues with defending your cause. - as i have not accused you to violate them. i was merely pointing out what drove us into the edgeworlds. - my concerns were of general nature concerning a centralized institution with a dedicated leader.

our installations are scattered all across sirius, every freeport deals with different problems and opportunities.... everyone is different yet unitied as being labelled a zoner.

the CoZ is a forum to exchange experiences and to learn from them. - when the CoZ was founded, the late Malaclype acted as a spritiual guide - a connection between the heterogenous zoners reaching for the ears and eyes of zoners from hundreds or thousands of lightyears away.

the council was less a leadership - but more a glowing path that one was gently invited to follow. - but times change - so do measures taken to react to them.

you ask "How will our values survive under the command and control of people who use us to their own ends?"

my answer is - one will not survive under a strict leader who us others to his own end. - a leadership that is centralized may be detrimental.

but isn t that what i have tried to explain - dear Chairman of the council? - the maximum leadership that is accepted by the zoners in large is a direct democracy. the fundamental wish for each council member to have a vote in global politics that affect the zoners.

so - no - one will not survive under a leader that makes his own decisions and tries to lead from above. the community that has grown - may split again. - systems that grew closer to one another might drift away again. the council represents as much as the members voices carry it.

on that note. ms Aurelia - if the state of affairs is as clear as you state, - i would expect a voting based on evidence brought before the council. - it is no matter of mistrust - it is a matter of courtesy and formalities. - we are not talking about synth paste here. - we are talking about the lifes of hundreds of people - and decisions where so many lifes are at stake should not be made easily.

sincerely E. Tate"