Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Comm ID: Chairman Mal

Well, Delegates, we have gone over the voting deadline. I would have thought that 72 hours would have been sufficient for an issue of this magnitude.

Voting is now closed. Here are the results:

On the matter of a Bowex "Lease Agreement" for Port Jackson:

Yea: 23 votes
Nay: 3 votes
Abstentions: 4
Not voting!: 16 Delegates.

The Motion is hereby passed.

I will contact Sir William Burke about signing the Final Agreement.

As there are a lot of folk coming to Gran Canaria for another more joyous occassion on Friday, I will see if Bowex can have its Officials there for the formal signing just prior to the weddings of Ambassador Holliday and Ms. Midori Sato, and Mr. Reginald Waverly and Ms. Moira Kentigearna. I have been asked to "Seal" the happy coupes after the Bhuddist Ceremony, so I am already at Canaria.

Next on our Agenda is Elder Miguel Sephardi of the Corsair Faction "The Brotherhood". I have transmitted the passcode to our secure Council Comms to Elder Sephardi, and I thank him for his patience in advance.

We will take a short adjournment until Elder Sephardi has contacted us.

Thank you again, Delegates, for your service to this Council and the Zoner Community.
Miguel Sephardi enters the virtual chambers, gets a glass of virtual water and walks up to the virtual podium.

Delegates of the Zoner Council, I come before you today with full knowledge that for as long as most of us have been around, our peoples have existed as neighbors, but there has always been a divide between our people, or so I thought. Recently, I with a sizeable portion of the Brotherhood's ranks have taken up residence at Mindelo base in Omega 50. Our time there has given me a chance to reconnect with some distant family. My wife's parents many years ago left Crete for the safety of a budding Corsair community on Gran Canaria. When The Brotherhood first came to Mindelo, I went to Gran Canaria and found my in-laws, living in quiet comfort so far from Crete. This once small enclave has blossomed into a wonderfully vibrant community of Corsairs, still living in the traditional Corsair way, alongside Zoners in peace and harmony. I have spent much time in this community, eating with these Corsairs, talking with them, attending family gatherings, and I have found many truths for myself in my time with them.

I have found myself reexamining some of my long held views on Zoners, Corsairs, and the way in which we go about dealing with each other. Some will call the vision I will lay out for you today a pipe dream, some will see it as an impossibility, while hopefully some will see it as a step, a significant one, in dispelling generations of mistrust between our peoples, as a step toward a vision of friendship between the Zoners and the Corsairs. A step that will lead to a strong Zoner people and a stronger Corsair people, living next to each other in harmony. In ancient times, neighboring families, when trying to develop closer ties. would marry a son, and a daughter from the opposing side to bind, through blood, their two groups together. This is what I envision between the Corsairs and Zoners, both of us stronger, because of our agreements together.

Now how do we get from where we are today to begin to realize this vision I speak of? Well we start by increasing our relations, in a way that benefits both of our people. First, I as an Elder of the Corsair people, Generalissimo of The Corsair Brotherhood, the oldest of the Corsair unions, and put my name, my power and the weight and might of The Brotherhood behind any agreement made between our people. When we look into the future, we try to take measure of what we will be remembered for, I as an Elder, take notice of the legacy I leave more than most I think, and I see this moment, this opportunity, this discussion, as the catalyst of my legacy among the Corsair people.

While most Corsairs would be honored to go down as a valiant warrior, fighting the Bounty Hunters, or Hessian's, or Outcasts, I wish to be remembered differently, I wish to be remembered as a bridge builder, a peace maker, a leader who broadened the scope and breadth of the Corsairs and our diplomacy's. I do not believe the Corsairs should live, cut off from the other peoples of Sirius, forces to pirate to survive. I see the Corsairs as having the potential to bring many wonders to the peoples of Sirius, and I see today as the first step to that legacy I seek
[/font]

Now to lay out some of the details of my plan, while this is not a final proposal, it is a frame work, I think both out groups can begin to deal with.

1) As has been the Corsairs' job for some time, The Brotherhood will serve as protection to all those in Omega 49, regardless of faction, and will both support and use the full weight of it's forces to enforce a system wide no fire zone in Omega 49. This will serve to protect the interests and safety of both the Corsair and Zoner inhabitants of Gran Canaria, as well as anyone else who would seek shelter there.

2) I joint committee be formed to oversee any issues arising from #1, said committee should include both the Chairman of the COZ, as well as the Generalissimo of The Brotherhood, along with a number of experienced Zoners and Corsairs.

3) The Council of Zoners shall recognize the large Corsair enclave on Gran Canaria as part of the Corsair nation, and shall support a Corsair appeal to the Sirius Construction and Development Agency for the building, at the Corsairs expense of a second docking ring on Gran Canaria for the use of the Corsair community on the planet, as well as to support the Corsair forces enforcing the No-Fire Zone.

4) a decrease in the price charged to Corsair by Zoners for the shipment of food to Corsair bases of 15% as well as an increases in the number of shipments by 15%.

5) The guarantee of continued safety of the Zoner bases in Omega 41, and 50, as well as Omicron Theta and Delta, from Corsair hostilities, this will be enforced to the best of it's abilities by The Brotherhood.

6) While in no way disputing the Zoner sovereignty of Omega 49, the planet Gran Canaria, or Lanzorate base, the Zoner council would recognize the unique Corsair interests in the system, and a voice would be given to the Corsairs of Omega 49 in issues concerning those interests.

Now, delegates, this is just a starting point, nothing in this idea is set in stone, as I come here today, not to dictate demands to you, but to look for a partner in an endeavor to build a stronger, and safer future for both of our people. I will be glad to take any questions of comments at this time, I would also be willing to make myself available using Sirius Kommunications Yeper Protocol Extension (Skype) to sit down with the Council members and discuss whatever parts of this they wish.
Comm ID: Robert Pirx

Mr. Chairman, Is the discussion allowed already?
I might not be present later, so I record my message now. I would like to reserve the right to speak later too, since I don't have opinion about the whole proposition yet, but now I want to put one question, to our honourable guest.

Senor Sephardi.
It was great speech. I am under impression, and I need a while to pick my thoughts together, but this question have came into my mind just now.

Would it be possible to add a few words to the 5th point of your proposal?

The guarantee of continued safety of the Zoner bases and ships in Omega 3, Omega 41, and 50, as well as Omicron Theta and Delta, from Corsair hostilities, this will be enforced to the best of it's abilities by The Brotherhood.

I think it would look better.

Thanks for your attention.

-Robert Pirx out.
Comm ID: [TAZ]Doc Holliday

As he listens to Elder Sephardi give his presentation, he pays close attention, writing some notes as he does and saying nothing out of respect. He quietly keeps his reservations and concerns to himself. When the Elder finishes, Doc nods in respect to him.
"Thank you, Elder Sephardi," he says, "that was well thought out and worded. I will take some time to consider it. Obviously, I have a few concerns but I need to think them through a bit. I will discuss them with you later, Senor."

With that, he sits back, allowing other delegates to address the Elder.
Comm ID: Chairman Mal

The Brotherhood proposal is indeed open for full discussion, either here, or on "other comms" if desired.

In fact, thank you for reminding me.. I need to send one more "passcode" to the esteemed Elder.

Proceed, Delegates.
.::Incoming Transmission::.
Message to : Zoner Council
Comm ID: Yev Lightwing, Delegate, (]c[)

Dear members of the Zoner Council and Elder Sephardi, a few words if I may:

First I want to thank the Brotherhood for their interest in enhancing Zoner security. And while I appreciate the intent, various aspects of the current proposal make my eyebrows twitch:

1) As has been the Corsairs' job for some time, The Brotherhood will serve as protection to all those in Omega 49, regardless of faction, and will both support and use the full weight of it's forces to enforce a system wide no fire zone in Omega 49. This will serve to protect the interests and safety of both the Corsair and Zoner inhabitants of Gran Canaria, as well as anyone else who would seek shelter there.

--Would the Brotherhood also protect Outcasts, Red Hessians, and Britonians seeking shelter on the planet?

3) The Council of Zoners shall recognize the large Corsair enclave on Gran Canaria as part of the Corsair nation, and shall support a Corsair appeal to the Sirius Construction and Development Agency for the building, at the Corsairs expense of a second docking ring on Gran Canaria for the use of the Corsair community on the planet, as well as to support the Corsair forces enforcing the No-Fire Zone.

--The Corsair population on Gran Canaria is a little larger than that of the Britonian refugee camps. As somebody who guards Gran Canaria on a frequent number of occassions, I have seen very few Corsair designated ships enter the surface of the planet in the past two months. This is as far as the largeness of the said enclave goes. In addition to this, the construction of a second docking ring would encourage segregation of populace on the planet, not to mention security breach concerns. If the Corsairs will pay for the construction of this ring, will they be the ones to enforce customs? If that is the case, the Zoner Security division of Gran Canaria may have a thing or two to say about that.

5) The guarantee of continued safety of the Zoner bases in Omega 41, and 50, as well as Omicron Theta and Delta, from Corsair hostilities, this will be enforced to the best of it's abilities by The Brotherhood.

--While I understand that a number of non Brotherhood affiliated Corsairs have been known to tax Zoners in those systems, I can't help but pause at the highlighted statement.

I would like to mention at this point my overall concern for accepting a pact of this magnitude. The issue is that Zoner neutrality is hanging by a very thin thread. Should we accept this agreement, I am quite certain that Outcasts will be very displeased and any kind of hope we have of reistablishing our neutrality with the Red Hessians will be shattered.

--Yev Lightwing
The Council wil adjourn to "Closed Chambers" for further discussion.

Com ID: [TAZ]Doc Holliday

I apologize for having to leave so suddenly but I had no choice. I do have some thoughts on this that I would like to present although from my notes I can see some of them were addressed somewhat.
I'll get back on this matter soon.
-Doc

//oorp I had a bad storm come through and it knocked out power in my house for awhile. Weather here has been dicey.
To: Council of Zoners

Great Council,

I beg all your pardon for my late response in this important matter. I must admit that Elder Sephardi's proposal is very exciting and tempting as well, but I had to take some time in my private office on CRS to think about the unexpected move of The Brotherhood, and I must clearly state now that I am sympathizing with the feelings of Elder Sephardi who is trying to provide a prosperous future to his people on Gran Canaria. If we Zoners are honest we cannot condemn anyone who is trying to enjoy life on a planet fortunately not polluted yet and still unmolested by power struggles, and as long as Gran Canaria is offering enough space and ressources for people to live there in peace we should continue sharing this precious place.

But it is the sharing that concerns me, since there are different kinds of. One kind of sharing means to abstain from propagating one's roots and former beliefs but to be a part of a greater multicultural community without the necessity of developing a distinguished common identity and where each individual may follow his own beliefs and ways of life. I suppose that we Zoners all feel that way, and I can clearly see Elder Sephardi's wisdom in recognizing this greater goal to be valuable for his people as well. The other kind of sharing would mean to devide Gran Canaria into peaces of different political communities where each of them struggles to make its claims, as if the planet would be a cake. Honestly, I do not like this possibility at all, and I suppose that we Zoners will do whatever we can in order to avoid such motions.

I must admit that I have considered all people of Gran Canaria to be Zoners, regardless of their origins, regardless of their culutal identities. The Corsair community on Gran Canaria in my eyes is Zoner's too, although they might feel different, but we all have our origins and we all have learned that they are worth less if we are living in Zoner places, because not our origins are defining the Zoner way of life but the places where the origins do not count anymore, and where the value of each individual has been raised above the mere fulfillment of abstracted politcal goals of a power mad gouvernment. I do not even think that the Bretonian refugees will remain Bretonian in the long run though they might still be missing their former homes right now. Let the years pass by and see how they will gradually abandon their old ways of living to become Zoners as we all are.

Elder Sephardi is speaking to us as a man who has gathered enough experience in his life to know that there must be something beyond well learned stereotypes and blinders imposed by habits. Though perhaps the younger Corsairs might still feel the fire in their veines to prove thenmselves and to make themselves a name and reputation among their people by following the old ways of Corsair life, it is still the Elder who is guiding them to settled attitudes dominated by experience and wisdom. It is a great step for the proud Corsairs we should not underestimate, honored Delegates.

Regarding the details Elder Sephardi has proposed I think that most of them are negotiable. I have understood them to be a sign of willingness to cooperate with our Council. I agree with most of you that we do not really need a second docking ring, but I do not think that we should quarrel about food prices either. To be honest, I do not care about the food. We have access to huge amounts of it and we are able to provide even more to the Corsairs if we really want to. The greatest benefit for Gran Canaria is included in Elder Sephardi's proposal by extending the NFZ around the planet to the whole system, although there will have to be corrections to be made concerning further details and the estblishment of a shared resonsibility for the security of Omega 49. We could start with the mechanisms Elder Sephardi proposed. We would have the oppprtunity to gather experience with this kind of cooperation with The Brotherhood, and after some time we could rearrange the procedures once the mutual distrust has been decreased. I would also like to remind you on the fact that Elder Sephardi is risking his own position by establishing shared responsibility for the safety of in Omega 49. His own people, mostly the younger pilots I suppose, might regard his move to be a sign of weakness, so we should take into account that these negotiations are only the beginning, as he said as well, and that we should not try terms endangering his own position.

The most important point of any of our agreements and contracts regarding Gran Canaria and Omega 49 is to preserve Zoners' souvereign power, so if there is a way to make sure that the CoZ alone has the veto regarding politcal issues of Gran Canaria in cooperation with The Brotherhood or any other cooperation, we should try to find it - now.

Sincerely,
Louisa Salome
<:BEGIN TRANSMISSION:>

Comm ID: EXJ serial number 03069
Transmission source: Valetta Shipyard; Omicron Alpha

This unit greets its brothers and sisters of the council.

This unit has socialized with both the Outcasts and the Corsairs for an extended period of time. It has come to know both factions very intimately. This input is based off of the experiences with both factions.

The proposal of allowing the Corsairs to be our guardians is somewhat of an extreme action. Their organics are valuable allies, yes, but they are not as powerful as would be presumed. Their military relies on the Order and the Zoners to develop new weaponry and vessels. Their empire is small if not non-existent compared to the Zoners.

This unit also brings up the matter of the Outcasts. Although they are not considered allies, they are also not considered enemies. It is no secret that the Zoners are on a heightened relationship with the Corsairs, but neutrality is still maintained with the Outcasts. By allowing these new policies with the Corsairs the Outcasts could become more hostile and more prone to attacking our commerce.

Perhaps these policies should be brought in gradually instead of all at once. This unit is not disagreeing, it is simply reminding the council that the Outcasts can react to these policies in a hostile way.

<:END TRANSMISSION:>