Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
**Incoming Transmission**

To: The Council of Zoners

Message reads

' Wrote:Comm ID: Doc Holliday

Mr. Nichols, EVERYONE is using the NFZ as a safe haven. Corsairs, BH's, Order, everyone. We need to scrutinize the rules with it.

And that my dear Doctor is the main part of the problem. It is in place to keep our stations safe, and for no other reason. It should not be a blanket to hide behind. We have stated many times before that fleeing into it is a no no. If your are being persued keep moving on by. Sory for me rough behavior on this matter but it has been the crux of most of our problems in the past.

Samuel Nichols
CEO - OSI

**end of Transmission**
To: Council of Zoners

Dear Mal,

the ZTC compliments you on being elected Chairman of this council again. We are glad this happened even without our participation. The drunk intelligence officer responsible for our absence has been promoted to his new duties in the kitchens of Corinth.

Great Council,

the ZTC would like to comment some of its votes first.

2: Whether to form a Council "Hostiles" list, or to use independent "contractors" to deal with those who break Zoner Law (High)
4: Establishing our own "Response Team" and/or using outside contractors (High)

Contractors can become expensive or capricious, or both at the same time, and if we go through with the thought of maintaining a list of 'Hostiles' we will probably accept the necessity of an own 'Response Team'. The ZTC would participate in such a team if needed.

3: The issue of pirating, and our "agreement" with the Corsairs, in Omega 49 (High)
11: Relocation of Council Chambers from Corinth to Gran Canaria (Low).

If we are insisting on Omega 49 being ours we should also move the Council Chambers to Gran Canaria as a clear sign to the Corsairs, and Corinth Research Station is not suited to house many delegates, not to speak of the cumbersome passageway through the security cordon. Gran Canaria offers much more comfort and an appropriate cultural environment even well prepared to invite guests or foreign delgations.

5: Coriko Lameos' motion to ban members of the Slavers Union (Medium)
6: Actions of ZAS (Zoners Abolishing Slavery) vessels, primarily in Tau-37 (Medium)

We commited ourselves not to trade Slaves, and we have full understanding for those who want to oppose slavers by other means than words, so we will not hinder the ZAS doing their jobs.

The votes are
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes
5 yes
6 yes
7 yay
8 no
9 yes
10 yes
11 yes

Sincerely,
Louisa Salome
Comm ID: Malaclypse, Chairman, CoZ

The voting on the current Agenda Items is closed.

Of 48 Registered and Voting Groups and Delegates, only 10 have taken the time to respond. I believe this sad statistic shows the importance of having an immediate discussion on Delegate Silvan's ideas for changing our Membership and Voting Policies.

That said, I will now present the vote tallies, and rule on the status of the Agenda Items. Where appropriate, I will also make assignments for the implementation of the Council's decisions.

Agenda Voting Results:

1: Standardization of NFZ distances for all Freeports and facilities (High);

Yea: 10, Nay: 0.
The motion to standardize NFZs carries, and the Chair rules that 5 kilometers will become the standard distance. I will either contact all current facility Commanders to change their current published "Laws", or see that it is done.

2: Whether to form a Council "Hostiles" list, or to use independent "contractors" to deal with those who break Zoner Law (High);

Yea: 9, Nay: 1
The motion carries. I will petition the Sirius Employment Office to remove our bounty listings, and to form a Diplomatic channel listing those who this Council declares as "Hostile".

3: The issue of pirating, and our "agreement" with the Corsairs, in Omega 49 (High);

Yea: 5, Nay: 0, Abstain/More discussion: 5
This item will be moved to the top of the Council's Agenda.

4: Establishing our own "Response Team" and/or using outside contractors (High);

Yea: 7, Nay: 3
The motion passes. A list of volunteers and assets shall be created, and assignments to specific facilities shall be discussed. As Delegate Aurelia Silvan is our most experienced Delegate in this area, the Chair assigns her the duty of coordinating these matters.

5: Coriko Lameos' motion to ban members of the Slavers Union (Medium);

Yea: 6, Nay: 4
The motion narrowly passes. However I would recommend that Diplomatic channels be opened with the Slavers Union to try to remedy this situation before a Council Position is made on the {SU}, and slavers in general. Delegate Lameos is hereby assigned the task of opening negotiations.

6: Actions of ZAS (Zoners Abolishing Slavery) vessels, primarily in Tau-37 (Medium);

Yea: 2, Nay: 8
While the "question" itself was somewhat ambiguous, the Chair rules this as a vote against "agressive interdiction" of slave traders.

7: Delegate Holliday's suggestions regarding Gallia and a possible Iridium embargo (Low);

Yea: 7, Nay: 3
The Chair interprets this as a vote to embargo all trade by Zoner vessels into Gallia, until such time as our Diplomatic overtures are better received, especially by the "Royal House" of Gallia. Delegate Holliday will contine spearheading this matter.

8: Adding a No-fly-zone around the ruins of Freeport 7 (Low-Medium);

Yea: 5, Nay: 1, Abstain: 4
The results are indeterminate. Carried forward as a low-priority Agenda Item.

9: Raising money for a Freeport 7 memorial beacon (Low);

Yea: 7, Nay: 0, Abstain: 3
The motion to raise funds for a beacon passes. The Chair assigns Delegate Kristall to all matters regarding Freeport 7.

10: Zoner colonization of Planet Sprague, Omega 3 (Low);

Yea: 6, Nay: 1, Abstain: 3
The motion passes, but requires serious research.

11: Relocation of Council Chambers from Corinth to Gran Canaria (Low).

Yea: 5, Nay: 1, Abstain: 4
Indeterminate. Carried forward. Resolution of the Omega 49 situation should be made before another move of Official Council Chambers is decided on.

If there are any corrections or objections to the Vote, or to the Chair's interpretation and assignments, please make them known now. If there are none, I will create our new Agenda. Now that the bulk of matters has been voted on, Agenda items will be discussed and voted on one at a time.

The Chair thanks those Delegates who voted, and sternly cautions those Delegates who couldn't be arsed. "Use it, or lose it."
Comm ID: Chairman Mal.

Fellow Delegates,

The Floor is now open to a discussion of and motions regarding Security matters. This will include, but not be limited to:

Diplomatic efforts regarding the recent pirating by independent pirates in Omega 49;

The creation of a "Hostiles List" to replace our past contracting of bounties;

The creation of a CoZ "Response Force". Assignments, assets, etc.

If Delegates feel that our current Membership and Voting procedures should be reviewed before any further Agenda items are considered, I will entertain a discussion and motions on that matter first;

If not, the Floor will be open for a discussion on our Security Issues.
Incoming Transmission
Comm ID: Aurelia Silvan
Recipient(s): Malaclypse, Council

I would actually prefer to fix the voting imbalance before we move on to other issues and motions. Especially since this imbalance could effect those votes. At the same time, I feel that we need to start taking count of who on this council bothers to fulfill their privilege and duty as a councilor. As Malaclypse said, use it or lose it. Most here need to lose it if they don't get their act together. This isn't a fraternity, this isn't a club. It's a body of government.
-Aurelia Silvan
<div align="right]End Transmission
Very well, Delegate Silvan.

The Floor will open a discussion on changing the current voting allocations.

To be honest, I would prefer to "K.I.S.S." this matter. Rather than a complicated formula for determining how many votes an "organization" should have, I would suggest a "One Zoner, one Vote" policy. It would then be up to individuals who are also members of organizations to register if they desire, and to keep their Membership active by responding on Council matters and decisions.
Delegates,

My concern with the issue of voting rights comes down to the increases in Bureaucracy I see in our Zoner community. More rules, regulation, more making people fit in to the image some of has of what a "Zoner" should be. I am all for one Zoner one vote, but any sort of regulation of that vote, any sort of formulaic answer to decide who gets how much vote, but brings us one very large step closer to just being a house.

To: Mal, and The Council of Zoners

Message reads

I have to agree the showing for votes was poor. I think it's time to cull the memberships again and make those who are interested re-register.

As for Security agenda items. We need to take up volunteers for the COZ-RF to see numbers, make AOR (areas of responsibility) for those folks then see where we stand. We may need more assets.

Also making our COZ hunting list and determining how bad an infraction you need to get to get on it.

Opening discussions with the Corsairs about O-49 should be discussed to. I think we need to see where they stand and what their attitude is to our dilemma, about protectors versus pirates. Maybe we need to invite only those groups that actually want protect and agree not to pirate in O-49. Now we can not be surprised if they do not stop other Corsairs against pirating...but they should be willing to let us do so.

Samuel Nichols
CEO - OSI

**end of Transmission**
I like Mal's idea, as long as there is a provisio against faction leaders penalizing or rewarding members for the direction they vote in.
For example, a member of TAZ being booted for voting for a resolution in favor of hot dog buns would be a no-no, as would a member of ZAS being given a 'code' weapon for voting for an anti-slavery resolution.

To: The Council of Zoners

Voting System

While I understand some of the larger groups of Zoners feeling that because of their numbers a vote from the representive should carry more weight, I feel that a system incorporating "Block" votes can be open to abuse.

I vote for myself, 1 member 1 vote, can we be sure that when a reprensentative of a Zoner group votes he/she is expressing the true democratic wishes of their members, have they performed any kind of internal polling?

If we agree to enforce weighted votes for large groups I beleive that we should also demand that before a vote can be passed, the members of that organisation should be internally balloted and the results made public to the whole council.

Can I also point out that in a democracy, you have the choice as to whether you vote or choose not too and because you choose to not vote this shouldn't mean that you lose your right to decide next time. I urge the council to end any talk about forcing people to re-register or taking away their rights.

Omega-49

I also urge the Council to force the Corsair factions into either declaring their continued wish to guard and protect the Zoners and help put an end to independant pirate activity around Gran Canaria or to step aside and let the Zoner peoples take on the task alone.

Security Force

As stated before I would be prepared to volunteer a large sum of my own personal wealth towards purchasing, equipping and maintaining a Zoner destroyer for the purpose of protecting Zoner freeports, planets and systems.

* Transmission out *