Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Incoming Transmission
Comm ID: Aurelia Silvan

Trogdor, the Miners Guild also has a base in Dublin, as well as Cambridge, which can not be disputed as anything other than Bretonian sovereignty. Bretonia accepts the Miners Guild, and the presence of their base does not negate the status of sovereignty. Furthermore, the presence of a Bretonia Mining and Manufacturing base in Omega-3 strengthens it. Bretonia Mining and Manufacturing is a state-owned company. It is controlled by the Bretonian government, it is part of the Bretonian government. As such it is a recognized icon of Bretonian control. Coupled with the amount of Armed Forces patrols, including gunboat patrols, in Omega-3, their status of sovereignty within Omega-3 is not in doubt.

--- --- --- --- ---

Now to move passed a matter that is really a subject of territorial law, which is rather clear in this case, I would like to move to a matter I put on hold while we were dealing with other issues.

Before I spoke of two issues; Chair's Cabinet and Security Council. Considering the Cabinet is simply a group of individuals working as assistants to me, it really has no official status. This is why it was not put to a vote or discussion. If it did not exist, those same assistants would still be assistants, but there would be no way to recognize who they are. As such, the 'Cabinet' itself is really just a group of people I've chosen to help me.

The only two positions on that Cabinet that are given an official status are the Secretary and Treasurer, who has been Malcolm Reynolds since the time of Malaclypse's chairmanship. The other is the position of Vice Chairman. Before this was always simply handled by the Chairman appointing someone to represent him or her if the Chairman was going to be gone for an extended length of time. I've taken that concept and made it more clear so that it could help in smoothing out the process. For example, if there is an urgent issue that requires a quick response or decision, and the Chairperson is not available at that time, but the Vice Chairman is, then the Vice Chairman can make that decision under the authority of the Chairperson him/her-self. Along with that, if the Chairperson is going to be unable to be contacted for a period of time but is not able to let anyone know this, the Vice Chairman may step in to govern the Council until the Chairperson returns. And since the Chairperson and Vice Chair work on matters cooperatively the rest of the time, the Vice Chair has a better grasp of current issues than he or she would have under past circumstances, when it was unclear when an 'acting Chair' would be needed, or who it would be.

The current Cabinet consists of;
Chairperson - Aurelia Silvan
Vice Chairperson - Galen Watson
Secretary/Treasurer - Malcolm Reynolds
Helpers - Saronsen, Izii Helfari

--- --- --- --- ---

The other issue, that was of some considerable discussion, is the Security Council. The Security Council proposal had not been put into effect, as some people thought. This is because I wanted plenty of time for it to be discussed, tweaked to the Council's satisfaction, and so that everyone know what exactly it is for, and lastly to vote on the issue.

The Security Council was made to replace the old SHIZL. The reasons I dissolved the SHIZL were many. Some of which I've already stated in several places, and some reasons I will not publicly release due to their nature and the fact that it may cause consternation between different people, and I have no wish to cause a bigger rift than the creation of the Zoner Alliance already has. Suffice to say, the dissolution was necessary on many levels.

Now there was a lot of claims that I did not have the authority to make that decision, that it was the Council's decision to make. Some even said it was the TAZ' decision, since it was made by Malaclypse who was TAZ' leader, even though he was acting as chairman, not as their leader when he made that group.

So to explain the matter of authority and the SHIZL, I'll start with the SHIZL's status. During the time it existed, from its creation, the SHIZL was a separate entity from the Council. It was above the Council's scrutiny, above its decisions. It operated as it wished and did not have to fear repercussion as it was not bound to the Council's decision. Why exactly it was decided to do this by Malaclypse I do not know, though I have my speculations. But that was one of the biggest issues I had with the SHIZL; It did not have to answer to the Council, the Council did not have control over it. Considering the SHIZL's job often entailed enforcing Council decisions, I thought that a very peculiar situation.

But since the SHIZL had been instated by Malaclypse by his decision alone, it was not something the Council was allowed to vote on at the time of its creation. Technically it was not ever ratified by the Council, and thus did not have the Council's authority, nor was it a recognized organization by the Council. It become so by hand, but never legitimately, or officially.

This is one of the reasons I decided to dissolve it, and the reason I did not ask the Council's permission prior to doing so. It is precisely the fact that I wanted the Council's permission in its existance that led to its dissolution. That is why the new Security Council proposition has it under the direct control of the Council of Zoners. The Council can overrule decisions made by the Security Council, or can place additional restrictions on it if it begins to take too many liberties. Steps the Council couldn't take on the SHIZL, and why the SHIZL got out of control.

This finally takes me to the proposal itself;

The Security Council will consist of six members. The Chairperson and Vice Chairperson will both be members of the Security Council. The other four members will be either Chair-nominated or self-nominated. It will be required that they get a majority 'yes' vote from the Council before they can take one of the seats on the Security Council, whether they are self or Chair-nominated. The Security Council members are not required to be members of the Council of Zoners. Additional Security Council seats may be added to account for faction leaders, though they will also have to get a majority 'yes' vote to be granted a seat. If that faction is a member of the Zoner Alliance, the faction leader must get both a yes vote from the Council of Zoners, as well as a yes vote from the Zoner Alliance to be granted a seat on the Security Council.

The Security Council has four duties;
  • First, the Security Council will be responsible for deciding what Zoners to send as representatives or diplomats to specific negotiations. For example, if the Outcasts were to open a large-scale negotiation, the Security Council would decide who to send as our representative to discuss it with them. - This is so that the decision is not given exclusively to the Chairperson, but rather to a group so that favoritism does not have an impact.
  • Second, the Security Council will regulate the use of Zoner equipment and ships by non-Zoners. - This is the original duty the SHIZL was created for.
  • Third, the Security Council will handle the management of misbehaving Zoners. The Security Council can not move to banish a Zoner without the Council of Zoner's vote first. - This was also a duty of the SHIZL. Banishment requires a majority 'yes' vote from the Council of Zoners as a whole so that the Security Council can not abuse it as a punishment.
  • Fourth, the Security Council will participate, and in some cases lead, efforts that benefit fellow Zoners. This is focused on incidents of hostility from ships from other factions against Zoners or Zoner stations, as well as helping new Zoners get situated in the Zoner enviroment. Teaching them 'the ropes.' - This is more of a humanitarian responsibility than a duty. The members of the Security Council are encouraged to act as mentors to people who have recently joined the Zoners, as well as act in the defense of other Zoners. This will also include managing the hostiles list of people who have harmed the Zoners.
These are not set in stone, this is just a proposal, and is being offered to the Council for review and tweaking - fixing. Eventually it will be put to a vote, but I want to give ample time for discussion and clarification and fixing.
-Aurelia Silvan
<div align="right]End Transmission
To: Council of Zoners
Hello Council. When I patrol in Omicron Kappa my sensors detect large fleet of Outcasts flee from Corsairs(HAF) to planet Gammu. When they arrived, Corsairs open fire and ignore my order don't shot up in NFZ. When pass some time, one of HAF pilot attack me without any engagement notice. And I enter in battle..

//sorry, my bad, long time don't playing in disco D:
TO: Unnamed Pilot (Taiidan Pilot)

Although I commend you for your valiant efforts, this not the place to be submitting such transmissions. This channel is restricted to members of the Council and those invited to address chambers.

Please use the appropriate channels to submit your report. Please use the following transmission code: http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30947
COMM ID: William Ironfoot
TO: Council of Zoners

Fellow Zoner delegates,

I am grateful to Chairperson Silvan for such a comprehensive statement and I am also grateful that we now have something positive to discuss.

Quote:This finally takes me to the proposal itself;

The Security Council will consist of six members. The Chairperson and Vice Chairperson will both be members of the Security Council. The other four members will be either Chair-nominated or self-nominated. It will be required that they get a majority 'yes' vote from the Council before they can take one of the seats on the Security Council, whether they are self or Chair-nominated. The Security Council members are not required to be members of the Council of Zoners. Additional Security Council seats may be added to account for faction leaders, though they will also have to get a majority 'yes' vote to be granted a seat. If that faction is a member of the Zoner Alliance, the faction leader must get both a yes vote from the Council of Zoners, as well as a yes vote from the Zoner Alliance to be granted a seat on the Security Council.

• First, the Security Council will be responsible for deciding what Zoners to send as representatives or diplomats to specific negotiations. For example, if the Outcasts were to open a large-scale negotiation, the Security Council would decide who to send as our representative to discuss it with them. - This is so that the decision is not given exclusively to the Chairperson, but rather to a group so that favoritism does not have an impact.
  • Second, the Security Council will regulate the use of Zoner equipment and ships by non-Zoners. - This is the original duty the SHIZL was created for.
  • Third, the Security Council will handle the management of misbehaving Zoners. The Security Council can not move to banish a Zoner without the Council of Zoner's vote first. - This was also a duty of the SHIZL. Banishment requires a majority 'yes' vote from the Council of Zoners as a whole so that the Security Council can not abuse it as a punishment.
  • Fourth, the Security Council will participate, and in some cases lead, efforts that benefit fellow Zoners. This is focused on incidents of hostility from ships from other factions against Zoners or Zoner stations, as well as helping new Zoners get situated in the Zoner enviroment. Teaching them 'the ropes.' - This is more of a humanitarian responsibility than a duty. The members of the Security Council are encouraged to act as mentors to people who have recently joined the Zoners, as well as act in the defense of other Zoners. This will also include managing the hostiles list of people who have harmed the Zoners.

These are not set in stone, this is just a proposal, and is being offered to the Council for review and tweaking - fixing. Eventually it will be put to a vote, but I want to give ample time for discussion and clarification and fixing.

Firstly can I say that as Zoners we need to move on from recent differences and start remembering who the real enemies of the Zoners are, greedy house corporations and nomads and I see this new proposal of a "Security Council" as a good first step towards hopefully better relations between the Zoner Alliance and the Council.

My second point is this, from what I can gather part of the issue that led to the formation of the Zoner Alliance was the idea of fairness and the balance between independent and grouped Zoners and so I believe that if this proposal is to work as intended that you have an even split of members for example 3 COZ members and 3 ZA members of the Security Council with a rotating chair lasting maybe 3 months or 6 months at most.

While I conceide that our COZ chairperson should take a seat on the new Security Council I also think that the two remaining seats should be both open to nomination from delegates of the Council of Zoners and not just filled by members of the cabinet.

Other thatn those few points I am overwhelmingly in-favour of this new body and as a gesture of faith in this new enterprise I would like to formaly submit my name as a Delegate of the Council of Zoners and member of the Zoner Response Team to sit on one of the Security Council seats. I like to think that William Ironfoot is known as a trustworthy, helpful and level-headed member of the Council. I rarely let emotions overrule my better judgement and I do not have a problem with any members of the ZA and if this proposal is accepted I am ready to help if required.

[Image: Ironfoot-2.png]
Incoming Transmission

Well first let me clarify something; The seats on the Security Council are not reserved for members of the Chair's cabinet. The only reserved seats are for the Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson, and I would prefer to make a similar arrangement with the Alliance in reserving two spots for delegates from the Alliance who are elected by the Alliance delegates to fill those positions. The remaining seats would be open to any Zoner, regardless of their Council status, Alliance status, or independent of either organization.

However, I would like to ask everyone not to begin nominating themselves or others until such time as the Security Council is actually put into effect, as there are doubtlessly some errors that need corrected, and that may influence people's decisions or how the nomination process is handled.

After the Council has deliberated over this proposal I will submit the revised copy to the Zoner Alliance to seek their opinions and criticisms as well.
-Aurelia Silvan
==INCOMING TRANSMISSION==
Transmission ID: ZO-0113-35
To: Council of Zoner Delegates

Ahem, Now that the Ion storm has finally passed. I hope this council can resume our work for the betterment of the Zoner nation. Madame Chairwoman, fellow delegates, let us resume work on the current issues and start to move past for a better tomorrow. I hope to see you all in person soon. I'll await for you all in chambers...

*places hand on the door, only to find it is locked*

Erm... as soon as the custodial staff unlocks the doors...

==END TRANSMISSON==
Incoming Transmission

I have made an updated version of the Security Committee. This version will also be given to the Alliance for their views on it. This is not up for vote yet, simply for discussion still.

' Wrote:The Security Committee will consist of eleven members. The Chairperson and Vice Chairperson will both be members of the Security Committee. The major organization leaders, heads of the Alliance, will also be granted a free seat to place a delegate of their choice in. The other six members will be Chair-nominated, Committee-nominated, or self-nominated. It will be required that they get a majority 'yes' vote from the Council, or the Alliance if they are not Council delegates before they can take one of the seats on the Security Committee, regardless of the manner in which they are nominated. Zoners belonging to neither organization require a yes vote by both the Council and the Alliance to be granted a seat. The Security Committee members are not required to be members of the Council of Zoners. They can be from either the Council of Zoners, Zoner Alliance, or neither group. Additional Security Committee seats may be added to account for faction leaders, though they will also have to get a majority 'yes' vote from whichever organization they belong to (Council/Alliance) to be granted a seat.

Security Committee decisions may be overridden by an 80% vote for the overturn by either the Council or Alliance, or a 70% vote from both. A motion to remove a Security Committee delegate must also get a 75% vote towards the removal by either the Council or Alliance, depending which organization they belong to, or a 75% vote by both if the Security Committee Delegate belongs to neither organization.

The Security Committee has four duties;
  • First, the Security Committee will be responsible for deciding what Zoners to send as representatives or diplomats to specific negotiations. For example, if the Outcasts were to open a large-scale negotiation, the Security Committee would decide who to send as our representative to discuss it with them. - This is so that the decision is not given exclusively to the Chairperson, but rather to a group so that favoritism does not have an impact. Note: This duty is for representatives of the Council of Zoner and the entire Zoner Community only. The Alliance will select representatives via their own methods when dealing with issues that deal with them alone.
  • Second, the Security Committee will regulate the use of Zoner equipment and ships by non-Zoners. - This is the original duty the SHIZL was created for.
  • Third, the Security Committee will handle the management of misbehaving Zoners. The Security Committee can not move to banish a Zoner from the community, not one organization without a vote by both of the organizations first. - This was also a duty of the SHIZL. Banishment requires a majority 'yes' vote so that the Security Committee can not abuse it as a punishment.
  • Fourth, the Security Committee will participate, and in some cases lead, efforts that benefit fellow Zoners. This is focused on incidents of hostility from ships from other factions against Zoners or Zoner stations, as well as helping new Zoners get situated in the Zoner environment. Teaching them 'the ropes.' - This is more of a humanitarian responsibility than a duty. The members of the Security Committee are encouraged to act as mentors to people who have recently joined the Zoners, as well as act in the defense of other Zoners. This will also include managing the hostiles list of people who have harmed the Zoners.
These are not set in stone, this is just a proposal, and is being offered for review and tweaking - fixing. Eventually it will be put to a vote, but I want to give ample time for discussion and clarification and fixing.

Addendum: Security Council name changed to Security Committee to avoid confusion between the two Councils.
Second Addendum: Changed seat number to eleven. Chair, Vice Chair, three faction delegates, if they send them, and six elected seats.

-Aurelia Silvan
COMM ID: William Ironfoot
TO: Council of Zoners

Fellow Zoner delegates and Chairperson Silvan,

Firstly the change of name from "council" to "committee" is a welcome one, it was getting very hard to distinguish between the two in conversation.

I would be very interested to hear what the Alliance makes of this new amended proposal, if they truly want Zoners to be united I expect either a positive endorsement of it or at least some positive critism.

I have always made it clear that I want this rift to end so my fingers will be crossed while I wait.

Congratulations on the effort you have put into this so far Aurelia.

[Image: Ironfoot-2.png]
**Incoming Transmission**
**Comm ID: Captain Trogdor**

Quote:The Security Council will consist of six members. The Chairperson and Vice Chairperson will both be members of the Security Council. The other four members will be either Chair-nominated or self-nominated. It will be required that they get a majority 'yes' vote from the Council before they can take one of the seats on the Security Council, whether they are self or Chair-nominated. The Security Council members are not required to be members of the Council of Zoners. Additional Security Council seats may be added to account for faction leaders, though they will also have to get a majority 'yes' vote to be granted a seat. If that faction is a member of the Zoner Alliance, the faction leader must get both a yes vote from the Council of Zoners, as well as a yes vote from the Zoner Alliance to be granted a seat on the Security Council.

The captain glances through this, then again, shaking his head and nearly banging his face on his console.

Is this for real? "The Security Council will consist of six members." Do we even have six active members left? Even if we do, who cares? You guys hear how people are referring to the Council these days. How can anyone take us seriously at this point when our numbers are so few? Why are we wasting our time doing anything but going on a massive recruiting campaign?

Yeah, great. Make up yet another sub-group of Zoners when we already have at least half a dozen. Even better, it'll be a group no one pays any attention to except us.

I expect this to be about as effective as...Bah..what was its name..Oh yeah. The Zoner Response Team, the ZRT. That group was so amazingly awesome...oh wait. I think I maybe saw one or two ships bearing that designation before it passed into obscurity.

Sorry to be a downer but until we have numbers to justify our words, all of this is, well, pretty pointless. And to fix this I think the first thing we need to put our heads together and decide on is a good reason why anyone should come over and join the Council rather than the...ZUI or whatever they decided to call themselves.

**Transmission ends**
.::Incoming Transmission::.
Message to : Whom it May Concern
Comm ID: Yev Lightwing, Shipmaster, (]c[)

Greets to all delegates of the CoZ,
I hope you are all in good health and are prospering.
Miss Silvan was kind enough to grant me a temperary pass to your communications channel, so I will take this opportunity to be as blunt as possible.

Encyclopedia Galactica has this to say regarding Battleships:
"Battleships are the floating fortresses of space. They are awesome machines of destruction, capable of tearing apart ships of all sizes and glassing entire planets. Carriers are Battleships which exchange some guns for giant hangars and launch tubes capable of unleashing a swarm of fighters and bombers upon their enemies."

Now for countless years our Aquilons and Juggernauts have been purchased without any sort of regulation or even so much as registration. As these are massive weapons of war, a number of Zoners feel that allowing just anyone to waltz into Livadia and purchase a flying fortress poses a security risk. As such, TAZ and ZTC are moving towards mapping out new measures for Zoner Battleship purchase.

1. We would like to encourage everybody who has already purchased a Battleship to register it by filling out a form (stated below).
2. We would like for those who are planning to purchase a Battleship, to fill out the same form and await approval from Pueblo Bonito / Livadia Shipyard.
3. All reviews of the applications would be 100% transparent. Applicants will be able to read all discussions made by the authorized personnel.

Who would be in charge of approving applications?
At this time, TAZ would be in charge of overviewing applications for Aquilons, ZTC would do the same for Juggernauts. If the motion for a Security Committee passes, there is a chance (if the majority supports it) that SC will oversee these applications as a whole.
What will happen to those that do not register?
As of yet, there are no plans to take offensive measures against unregistered Battleships, besides the general "cold shoulder." Naturally, those who purchase these massive, deadly ships will be considered as illegal owners.

Now on a personal note, I would like to see some real consequences against unregistered captains. We are looking at violatile security risks here. But, if the majority of the Zoner community feels there is no harm in just anybody waltzing into Baffin and buying a fortress that can unleash swarms of fighters and bombers from its hangers, then I suppose enforcement will be minimal.

The following are registration/application forms that we currently have in mind.

Quote:
  • Ship Class: Either a Juggernaut or a Aquilon Carrier
  • Name of Vessel: Name as it appears in navigation logs (//in-game callsign)
  • Owner's Name: The name of the buyer: either a single individual or an organization.
  • Commander: Leader of the crew
  • 2nd in Command: Required
  • Chief of Engineering: Required
  • Chief of Security: Required
  • Other significant Crew Members: Optional
  • Source of Funds: Where did you get the money to purchase this ship? Do you work for yourself or an organization? Are you funded by a faction?
  • Purpose of Purchase: This is the most important section of the application. What do you intend to do with the ship, and most importantly, why do you need it? If you are a merchant, do you intend to use the Juggernaut as a warship and if so, why do you need one? If you, the ship owner, are a military commander you better have an explaination as to how you acquired such a large amount of credits.
  • Do you have a wing of fighters/bombers to escort your ship? If "no," why not? A capital ship is home to hundreds of crew members but it can be destroyed at the hands of only two bombers. What measures are you ready to take to protect your crew?

Example:
Quote:
  • Ship Class: Juggernaut Class Battleship
  • Name of Vessel: Walden
  • Owner's Name: Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Commander: Henry David Thoreau
  • 2nd in Command: William Henry Channing
  • Chief of Engineering: Orestes Brownson
  • Chief of Security: Margaret Fuller

• Source of Funds: Ralph Waldo Emerson is a very rich enterpreneur who has received large loans from a number of organizations. He plans to pay back these organizations by establishing a free standing economy aboard Walden, a colony ship. A percentage of the income each citizen makes aboard Walden will go towards paying off these loans.
  • Purpose of Purchase: Walden is a colony ship and will serve as a home to over fifty thousand citizens. It will not perform military duties or chase hostiles across systems, as our first priority will be to safeguard the people aboard the vessel.
  • Do you have a wing of fighters/bombers to escort your ship? No. However, as ours will be a colony ship, we aim to steer clear from major conflicts and will not engage violent situations unless forced to do so in self defense. We plan on fitting our ship with moderate weaponry and may upgrade our firepower if our budget allows.

What TAZ/ZTC needs from CoZ:
Your support and your thoughts. This is a rather serious matter and yes, we would like for as many captains as possible to register their Battleships. Which is not going to be an easy feat unless as many Zoners as possible provide their support.

Sincerely,
Yev Lightwing