Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Comm ID: Chairman Mal.

Delegates, please reserve your comments on other matters until the issue of voting redistribution is concluded.

I believe we are even know discussing this democracy so precious to Zoners, Delegate Ironfoot. I don't know about Delegates Mazursky, Nichols, and Lameos; but I for one will not dictate how TAZ members are to vote if they are given equal representation on this Council.

Further, if there are discussions between TAZ members regarding votes before the Council, then that is "our" business, and not yours. I reject out-of-hand the suggestion that those discussions be made public.

This further points out the need to keep whatever policy the Council enacts as simple as possible. As you so aptly pointed out, Ironfoot, a "One Zoner, One Vote" policy seems the easiest to implement.

As to your "right to not vote" comment, that is what "abstentions" are for. That simple act at least lets us know that the Delegate still has a pulse, or chooses at least not to give a crap, yes?

Comm ID: Doc Holliday

Voting

I'm not sure what to think at this point. I see a lot of Zoner factions out there and only 10 delegates vote? Pretty bad if you ask me. My feelings are mixed. Those who don't participate, don't seem to care IMO. If they wish to let policy be dictated for them then let it be. If they don't vote, they lose their right to complain when they don't like it. Culling the registry? I think if they get force fed a few things they'll start getting involved.

At the same time, I don't want this mass of delegates showing up and then voting once on something that directly pertains to them and then disappearing again. We are Zoners, all of us, and we need to work together. Our very existence depends on us working together. Also penalizing or rewarding for a vote is pointless. One votes their conscience and quite often has chat with his/her leadership before voting.

Security Force

The I.K.S. Vor'cha has been doing security for some time, going between FP1, Gran Canaria and FP11. If no one objects, I'll instruct Commander Matok to continue this. I do like Delegate Nichols' idea about designating areas of responsibility. At least then we'll know what we have in certain areas and who is out there.

Omega49

I'd say leave the Corsair patrols there alone and as for the independent pirates such as a Tuco.Pacifica or Green Hawk, they are our problem to deal with as we see fit. I'd rather not force anything on the Corsairs as it may come back to bite us later. Keep in mind, FP5, FP9, FP1 and Corfu are on the border with them and FP11 is behind their space as the only way too it is via Omicron Gamma. I'm sure we can come to some sort of resolve with them.

Hostile's List

All for it. Keep it in house. Considering that not many pilots will make this list then I think we can handle it ourselves. If needed, this issue can always be re-visited later. For now, why pay for what we can handle ourselves for free?

Doc
' Wrote:Comm ID: Chairman Mal.

Delegates, please reserve your comments on other matters until the issue of voting redistribution is concluded.

I believe we are even know discussing this democracy so precious to Zoners, Delegate Ironfoot. I don't know about Delegates Mazursky, Nichols, and Lameos; but I for one will not dictate how TAZ members are to vote if they are given equal representation on this Council.

Further, if there are discussions between TAZ members regarding votes before the Council, then that is "our" business, and not yours. I reject out-of-hand the suggestion that those discussions be made public.

This further points out the need to keep whatever policy the Council enacts as simple as possible. As you so aptly pointed out, Ironfoot, a "One Zoner, One Vote" policy seems the easiest to implement.

As to your "right to not vote" comment, that is what "abstentions" are for. That simple act at least lets us know that the Delegate still has a pulse, or chooses at least not to give a crap, yes?

Comm ID: Captain William Ironfoot
To: The Council of Zoners

Chairmain and council of members, I am sorry If my last statement was worded strongly, and I was simply trying to express my passion for open and transparent democracy in the council. I agree with the chairman for 1 member 1 vote as the ultimate and most simple form of democracy, block voting clouds the issue and quite often leads to groups with private agendas dictating opinions and supressing debate.

I have no wish to dictate how TAZ or any other Zoner group conduct their internal business and was only trying to counter the "groups should have more votes" debate with an opposing viewpoint.

Once again, if my words were harsh, I appologise.
Well my fellow delegates, I have just finished listening to some old music of my favor, and have loaded myself with enough narcotic to speak eloquently about this subject. So please bear with me and my wandering, tangential thought.

While I have just made myself know to this council recently, I have been around the block for longer then many on this council, and I try to look at history as an must toward decisions I make today. There was a time, not so long ago, that a group of Zoners, a faction unto themselves, they controlled Omicron 74. The Asgard Warriors. They were a faction, and quite independent from other Zoners. Now they chose to go their own way diplomatically, right or wrong, and thats the way it should be, but if a large Zoner faction such as the AW. were to have a one Zoner, one vote, right to each of it's members having a vote, we could very easily see ourselves pulled, diplomatically toward the most radical edges of Zonerdom, with one factions agenda coming to dominate the Council.

Now, I have the munchies, time to eat and then take a nap, this has taken a bit out of me.

Comm ID: Chairman Mal

Delegate, Lev, or Zev, whichever bear you are, thank you for coming out of your "ozone" to visit our "zone".

I can understand the concerns voiced by you and several members that changing the current paradigm might lead to a "power grab"..

However, I can attest to the fact that none of the "Organizations" listed at the top of our Registry have huge memberships. In fact, I haven't heard from anyone in the Wanderer Brotherhood for quite a long time.

Even if the policy was changed, I'd venture that not all members of those organizations would choose to register separately. But some would, and would consider the opportunity to be an honor and a duty.

On the gripping hand, we have a list of over 40 Delegates who have not voted atall, atall, in quite some time. While we do not know their motives for seeking Membership in this Council originally, I do believe that Chairman Archer spent a great deal of time contacting them individually, to no apparent benefit regarding a renewed participation. I personally have better things to do with my time than hold their hands.

Delegate Silvan, as the suggestion is yours, I would appreciate it if you would now draft a formal Motion on the matter to place before the Council. If you wish, the Motion may also contain a clause regarding loss of priviledge; but if you do so, then the Motion must stand or fall on both clauses. That is, if there are objections to "cleaning" the registry based on participation in the vote, then the whole Motion may be at risk. Your call.
*Incoming transmission*
Comm ID: ZonerStoner
To: Council of Zoners

May the peace be upon all Zoners,

I fail to see injustice in having number of votes proportional to a certain faction membership. It is normal that inside of each faction/company their members decide how they should respond to certain issue and then place an collective vote.

Actually, this was something I thought about long time before this voting process took place and it is only fair way of doing things, as I see it now.
One man - one vote, that was the Zoner way of the old. Having just 10 votes in an faction/company who has more then 10 members is actually depriving them from that right, but it seems to be an fair compromise.

I understand that some independent members are afraid they might be "over-voted", but it's fellow Zoners we talk about and there is slight chance for some wrongdoings. Also, I would like to remind independent Zoners (I am one) that those factions/companies often provide help to all of Zoners, regardless of their membership or independence.

These are hard times, we must be as one

May the blessings of Eris follow us on our journeys

Mohammad-Sadiq Al Noori

*End of transmission*
**Signal lost**
Mal, I spoke to a member of the Wanderers just before the recent ion storm.
It seems that almost all of them have departed Sirius for another sector entirely. I think we can remove them from the roster, and let those that remain sign up individually to the CoZ.

-Kristall
*cough*...*cough**cough*...*cough*...*hack**hack*

Thats better now. Mister Chair, while I agree that none of those factions currently on the list would ever think about such a move, but as the sands of time filter threw the hour glass, the factions we know, as the Wandering Brotherhood have, may fade into the annels of history, with new Zoner factions, we cannot currently evaluate, coming to the fore. While the noblity of the factions represented on this council is beyond reproch.......*click**click*...........................*cough**cough*...That may not always be the case, and this is indeed a large step, which may cause independent Zoners to not register with the Council for fear of having thier voices drown out by the factions. I just ask for people to consider the long term ramifications of such a move when the make thier vote.

I would also ask the the "cleansing" of the council be a seperate motion, as I think there would be many who would vote to clean some of the cobwebbs out of the attic, but would also not want the place bursting at the seams with voices.

*click*..*cough*

Oh, and Mal, it's Lev, Lev Shestov.

The sense that every struggle brings defeat Because Fate holds no prize to crown success; That all the oracles are dumb or cheat Because they have no secret to express; That none can pierce the vast black veil uncertain Because there is no light beyond the curtain; That all is vanity and nothingness.
ID: Louisa Salome, Zonsers Trading Consorium Public Relations
TO: Council of Zoners

Great Council,

none of our consortium members likes the prospect of being patronized which happens automatically if every organization has to speak with the voice of one delegate. We cannot value the experience of each of our members and thereby individual skills properly if we are always pooling differentiated opinions into one blurred compromise. Due to the fact that not every issue discussed here has a significant impact on our consortium business or even the most fundamental issues concerning us are discussed with a broad variety of views, the ZTC does not fear individual and contradicting opinions within its ranks, so we do not feel obliged to keep our valued consortium members inside of an intellectual cage.

Therefore we would like to suggest a simple mapping of Zoner individuals to their rights in this council. One Zoner, one voice, one vote, and we also agree with Delegate Silvan's opinion that every Zoner has to maintain his presence here on his own account - use it or lose it.

Sincerely,
Louisa Salome
Sorry Mal, I'd like to interrupt the deliberations for just a moment to make a public service anouncement.
Ladies, gentlemen and others, a very kind gentleman just donated a surplus satellite, complete with low-band transmitter, to be used as a Freeport 7 memorial beacon. I am therefore, instead of raising money to buy a beacon, raising money to thank Seth Karlo for his generous donation. Please send donations to me care of the Spirit.of.Freeport.7 . I'm now taking suggestions as to what the transmitter will be transmitting. Please send suggestions directly to me.

(//need to figure out what the infocard will say, PM me your suggestions. If I get no suggestions, default will be "This memorial is set out to remember those who died in the tragic destruction of Freeport 7. Those that wish to pay their respects may do so here."
Please also PM the amount of your donation so I can keep track.)

Thank you for your time.

-Peter Kristall