Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Incoming Transmission
Comm ID: Aurelia Silvan

The voting period is now at a close delegates. The results are as follows;

Aurelia Silvan: 10
Trogdor: 2
Galen Watson: 1

Which means I'm now the real chairperson, rather than just acting chairperson taking over for Holiday.. But if any of you call me 'Chairperson Silvan' I'm going to take my new shiny gavel to your face. I've got a name, I like that name, and I've no use for titles. I was Aurelia, and I still am.

Now, the first order of business is one that began plaguing us during the nomination process.. This issue happens to be the Apocalypse ships, a group of exiled Bounty Hunters taking up residence in Omicron Kappa. A few months back they tried to get permission to base their ships, including at least five Mako-class battleships, perhaps more, from Corfu Base in Omicron Theta. For a variety of reasons this wasn't allowed.

However, now we have two new problems. First is their use of weaponry and what they are doing with it. They've fit their battleships, battlecruisers, and gunboats with Zoner weaponry. Flak Turrets, Primary Battleship Cannons, cruiser equivalents, as well as Gunboat turrets. All of these weapons are available only from our stations, which means that's where these Apocalypse ships got them from. They say from Corfu. Now normally this wouldn't be very much of an issue. People use our weaponry quite often.. However, they are using it to launch raids on the Order, our allies, and a group dedicated to eradicating the Nomads. That includes protecting Freeport 11, though indirectly most of the time. And since these Bounty Hunter Exiles are using our weaponry exclusively, it gives a very bad impression to the Order. That we are taking sides, intentionally supplying their enemies who raid Omicron Minor daily.

When asked why they were using our equipment, they responded that they were the 'most powerful alternatives.' They have access to Basic weaponry, which are nearly as good as our own. So close, in fact, that I can't really see how that small difference could possibly effect their combat abilities.

So considering the amount of our equipment they are using, and what they are doing with it, I'm moving to have all Apocalypse vessels stripped of their Zoner weaponry, the expenses to change their ships to new weaponry will be paid by myself personally.

If anyone has an objection to taking this action, please make a motion to put it to a vote so that we may decide as a group whether this be for ill or good. If there are no objections raised in two days, I'm going to proceed with this course of action.

The other matter on the subject of the Apocalypse is the usage of Freeport 11. Delegate Saronsen contacted me today and let me know that Apocalypse has been moving more and more of their ships to Freeport 11, docking them there and basing them there. As this Council is aware, we don't allow factions to base raids from our Freeports.. To hold to that policy, I'm going to be making a statement to Apocalypse, letting them know that none of their battleships may be based from Freeport 11, and may only moor to the station for a brief time if in need of resupply. If we catch them basing their fleet out of Freeport 11 afterwards, I will move to have their battleships barred from docking the station at all times. If that doesn't fix the situation, this Council may have to decide on a more drastic action.

Again, if anyone has an objection to this course of action, please voice it and put the motion to a vote.

We've given the Apocalypse several chances, and they've taken our generosity and abused it.. This is the only reason why my decisions towards them are so harsh and direct.

On other matters, I believe Delegate Trogdor wished to raise some points about the recently-accepted treaties to the Liberty and Bretonian governments. I will open the floor for discussion about the treaties.
-Aurelia Silvan
<div align="right]End Transmission
Comm ID: RFS Freedom

While the results of the election obviously do not match up with our desires, we will respect the democratic process and continue on with business.

We are encouraged Chairman Silvan's first transmission and trust that she will act to preserve the freedoms that we Zoners so cherish.

Regarding the issue at hand, we agree that their use of our weapons while attacking the Order should be discouraged. We also agree that while they should be allowed to stock up on essentials at our stations, basing large-scale fleets out of Freeport to attack the Order on a permanent and continual basis is unacceptable.

In short, we find the course of action described by Chairman Silvan to be acceptable for the time being.

-Jonah Robinson and Crew
**Incoming Transmission**
**Comm ID: Captain Trogdor**

Sounds good to me.

**Transmission ends**
Incoming Transmission

As of this moment the SHIZL, Sirius Headquarters of Initiated Zoner Leaders, is being dissolved.

The SHIZL will be replaced with the new Zoner Security Council. This council, unlike the SHIZL, will be co-equal to the Council of Zoners. Any decisions by the Security Council can be challenged by delegates of the Zoner Council. Likewise, the Security Council may veto Zoner Council decisions. This veto can be overruled however, if the Zoner Council reaches a vote margin of eight votes in favor of the issue. For example, nine votes for, and three against gives a vote margin of six. The Security Council veto would stay in effect in this situation. But a vote of twelve in favor and three against would give a vote margin of nine, which would overturn the Security Council's veto. The reason for this is that the Security Council's main priority is the defense of all Zoners everywhere. However, to avoid any abuse, the Security Council must submit a clear reason for attempting a veto of any Council decision.

The Security Council consists of the Chairperson, the Vice Chairperson, and three selected Zoners. These three Zoners are chosen by the Chairperson, however the Zoner Council may oppose Security Council candidates and vote on whether or not to accept them into the Security Council. If the Zoner Council successfully opposes the candidate, the Chairperson is to select a new Zoner to replace the eliminated candidate. The Zoner Council may attempt to oppose any Security Council candidate except the Chairperson and the Vice Chairperson. Depending on the status of factions, groups, and organizations in the Zoners, additional Security Council seats may be added to allow faction representatives. The same conditions regarding nomination by chairperson and Council's ability to object apply to faction representatives. Faction representatives may also count towards the three Zoner Councilors, but not always.

The Security Council has four dutues and responsibilities;
First, the Security Council assigns diplomats to negotiations with other factions and groups. These diplomats must either be a part of the Zoner Council or the Security Council.
Second, the Security Council regulates the usage of Zoner equipment and ships by non-Zoners.
Third, the Security Council handles the issue of misbehaving Zoners.
Fourth, the Security Council will participate and sometimes lead efforts that benefit some or all Zoners, especially in situations of hostility with other groups and factions, and in the aid of new Zoners who have come to us from the houses.

The reasons this decision was made are many, but the most important ones were that;
The first is that the SHIZL was not subject to the Council of Zoner's approval or decisions. The Council of Zoners was not in a position to challenge or object to SHIZL decisions. The SHIZL operated above the Council of Zoners, with little fear of reprisal or interference.
The second main reason is that the SHIZL was getting too big for its own shoes. Often times it was taking action that it wasn't given authority to in its charter. Some of these actions needed to be taken at the time, but it is my belief that the SHIZL has run its course.

From this point on, the Security Council will take the place of the SHIZL. A list of Security Council candidates will be released shortly, after the Vice Chairperson and myself choose them.
-Aurelia Silvan
<<Incoming transmission>>
<<Source: Saronsen Nighten, aboard the Jinkusu, Paradise>>
<<Playing>>

Let's see.. -he strokes his chin..-

On the Apocalypse's issues.. I see no problem except for funding to have their weaponry exchanged over to other turrets. They're able to maintain two fully armed Makos with no support from the Bounty Hunters Guild, and apparently can have them repaired in their secret base somewhere when they're ripped to shreds. Let them purchase their own weaponry.
And as for their usage of our zones and territory, I find them using Omicron-74 as a highway a bit abusive of the hospitality we have shown them already.

But that is my two cents for the day.
-He bows his head-
<<Transmission End>>
Alan Mosinger stands to address the Council

I'm not so sure I can agree whole heartedly with the proposal of the Zoner Security Council. I feel that point four should be divided in to two parts.

Quote:A. the Security Council will participate and [if the situation warrants it] lead efforts that benefit <strike>some or</strike> all Zoners, especially in situations of hostility with other groups and factions

B. Aid new Zoners who have come to us from the houses.

All actions should benefit ALL zoners as much as possible.
Subject B should be allocated to a sub council.
Incoming Transmission

The reason it was worded "some or all Zoners" was that not all activities would influence all Zoners. Some of their activities would benefit a few Zoners and not effect others at all.

Making an entire sub council for aiding new Zoners seems like making too many different groups. It's not particularly that big of a job so I don't think we need an entirely new sub council for that issue, it'll just complicate things further.
-Aurelia Silvan
' Wrote:Incoming Transmission

The reason it was worded "some or all Zoners" was that not all activities would influence all Zoners. Some of their activities would benefit a few Zoners and not effect others at all.

Making an entire sub council for aiding new Zoners seems like making too many different groups. It's not particularly that big of a job so I don't think we need an entirely new sub council for that issue, it'll just complicate things further.
-Aurelia Silvan

Turns to address the Holographic projection of the Chairwoman

the sub council i proposed isn't really a separate council, it's more like a committee made up of current delegates that volunteered to assist and teach these "new" (or should we say "enlightened") zoners our ways of life and culture. I just wanted to say, sub council 'cause it sound cooler.

Now if you excuse me, unless there are any other issues that require my physical presence, I'll be retiring to my ship. Please forward all further transmissions to this frequency.

Enters the frequency on the deskpad, bows to the remaining delegates in the council chambers, and leaves
to: the CoZ

"i am deeply concerned about the appointed chairmen of the new leadership or whatever it is. - ( not to speak about if the CoZ even agreed on this leadership or if its officially recognized ) -

we have kept the peace and safety on fp11 for a long long time now. - and i really dislike how the new appointed chairmen interfere with the situations we deal with on a local level.

let me reiterate the status of fp11. - freeport 11 is a Free Port. we allow every faction that is not outright hostile to us shelter, maintenance for a good price, resupply for a good price and a chance to trade, relax and chat. we do not interfere with the business of anyone as long as they do their business outside the NFZ. ( in case it is of hostile nature )

i was the one that installed the very first NFZ - which was then adopted by many other freeports. - and the main concern of the NFZ is the protection of zoner property. at no time it was meant to be used to expell other potential customers or travellers from our stations.

in the open communique i read that the newly appointed chief of security affairs or something spoke of a permanent ban. -

this is not how we do things. - IF a permanent ban is applied to indifiduals or a group - it comes down to a voting. - if the coz decisions are done without a voting - i will make sure that freeport 11 will detach itself from such centralized decisions and become an autonomous zoner installation - i am most certain that i will find supporters for that, too.

freeport 11 is a haven of security where people of any factions can actually get together and forget their factions disagreements for a short time. - i wish it to stay that way. - prejudice, enforcing laws no matter what and personal grief must stay outside.

thank you for your attention... - E. Tate"

postscript:

"we received a new chairman, who was democratily appointed. - we got a new council structure that was not voted on, - we got a new leadership, that was not agreed on in a democratic manner, we have appointed people in positions of power - who were not nominated nor voted on.

the CoZ degenerates into an institution that we fled the core from - an institution of corruption, greed, powerhunger and priviledges that are not earned but appointed. - i urge the CoZ to remember the very reason the CoZ was installed. - to allow guidence and freedom at a maximum level while maintaining a community from which we can interact with other factions.

a leader of the CoZ is not a dictator, but an addressee or ambassador for other factions. - if things continue in such an unsatisfactory way, the things that grew together - namely stations and systems, might well drift apart again... to be locally goverened instead of guided by the council. "
....::::Incoming

Transmission::::.....

To: Council of Zoners

....::::Message Begins::::.....

Council members,

I am extremely saddened by yet another undemocratic act. I also don't find it amusing that this ban was issued by someone with no power to do so. Until it is brought to a vote, the Security Council does not exist. Therefore none of its appointed members have any power to wield.

I know that Apoc violates our NFZ. I have seen it myself. I know they use Freeport 11 and Lividia as staging points before they raid. I have seen it myself. That said, we cannot simply issue blanket bans without the Council being aware.

Again, I point out that in my last transmission I reminded members of this Council that they also had to conform to the NFZ. Again, some of the same people have allegations made against them that they broke the NFZ. Are these allegations true? I don't know but it is saddening.

Am I now living in Zoner House space? I certainly feel like I am with all the goings on and no voting.

William Cross
Captian of the Mon Kal

....::::Message Ends::::.....

....::::End of Transmission::::.....