Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Council of Zoners
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tarlkor sighed.

"Alright, here's my question for you. Do ya mind if I just call Denelo here ta explain all this himself? I don' know all of it, and I forget half I do know."
"I must agree with Fenning here. The warnings were vague. Also, if I didn't know better, I would say that you are a nomad sympathizer, Tarlkor. It has been verified that this Harbinger does not only reside in Magellan, but roams all of the sirius sector. Would anyone leave such a possible threat unattended?"

"From reading these files I see that one of your brother's friends 'sometimes gives orders to' this organism. A questionable association to say the least. A reason was given, but only after it was too late. Getting Denelo here to clear things up seems like a good idea to me."

Sebastian shook his head.

"However, Harbinger's nature is no longer a secret. It has become relatively common knowledge. The thing is normally docile unless attacked, which happens quite often, and the retribution is always terrible. Nomads as a species are like children. To them, everything is a game. There is no other explanation to how 'soulless' they are. When this metaphorical child is given a task, say, to destroy mankind or something, they do not think of us as innocent or even alive. Just objects. Toys that can be replaced if broken. When threatened or hurt, they do become angry, yes, and are very rough with their toys, you might say. They destroy the object of their anger."

Sebastian paused a moment before continuing.

"If my theory is correct, I would suggest approaching it likewise, as you would a child. Like a child, they can be taught. If there was some way to communicate to it, we might be able to calm it down and maybe even to stay away from the traders. It might not even understand how frightening it is."
Isaac quickly reads through Tarlkor's, face impassive. When he's finished he tosses them back into the center of the table and looks over at Tarlkor. "I'm afraid that I also have to agree with Jinx and Brother Fenning on this one. Jinx spots a bloody huge Nomad ship flying around near our bases and trade routes... And she's supposed to try and talk to it? Sorry, but no. Nomads aren't exactly known for their chatty personalities."

He sips at his coffee and gestures with his free hand towards the file on the table. "No offense, but your brother's cryptic warnings are a bunch of bullox. I thought doomsday prophecies went out of style centuries ago. What we have here is an oddly independent Nomad who is now attacking Zoner ships and bases. Unless someone can produce some concrete information explaining why so many otherwise sane humans are so touchy-feely with this... creature... I will have to suggest that we focus our every effort into bringing about it's total destruction, along with the destruction of any other Nomad ship spotted within sensor range of any Zoner base."

"Feel free to open up a comm channel to your brother, if you think he may be able to provide some real information, and not just a bunch of vague warnings of impending doom."

He sets his cup back down on the table and swivels his chair a bit to face Malaclypse. "As to the situation with the AW, I have been considering an official statement to Sirius ever since the vote seemed to be swinging against them... However, I believe that this 'Harbinger' situation is a rather more important issue at this time... If you have the time to write up a draft, feel free to do so."

He presses a button and calls up Jinx on the Council's comm screen. "Jinx, you are the current owner of one of the largest independent Zoner ships. Would you be able to temporarily station the Persephone near Freeport-11, in case the Harbinger returns for another attack? The Council can see about getting some assistance from other sources, such as the Order, or perhaps even the Black Squadron, but I would like to know that the civilians of the Freeport are safe until help can arrive."
"Alright, sure. I'll be right back."

Tarlkor steps out of the room.
' Wrote:"However, Harbinger's nature is no longer a secret. It has become relatively common knowledge. The thing is normally docile unless attacked, which happens quite often, and the retribution is always terrible. Nomads as a species are like children. To them, everything is a game. There is no other explanation to how 'soulless' they are. When this metaphorical child is given a task, say, to destroy mankind or something, they do not think of us as innocent or even alive. Just objects. Toys that can be replaced if broken. When threatened or hurt, they do become angry, yes, and are very rough with their toys, you might say. They destroy the object of their anger."

Sebastian paused a moment before continuing.

"If my theory is correct, I would suggest approaching it likewise, as you would a child. Like a child, they can be taught. If there was some way to communicate to it, we might be able to calm it down and maybe even to stay away from the traders. It might not even understand how frightening it is."

Grayson Burrows turns his sight to Sebastian ... "it's the first time, that i must say i'm totally agree with you about this. .... In mi opinion we must protect at all costs Freeport 11 at all costs from the harbringer and nomads's attacks, we have to come to a plan as soon as possible before it's too late. As i said before, i'll defend Freeport 11 from the Harbringer attacks along with my apprentice, i think we have to gather as many ships we can to defend our base from these specie, but without leaving our trasnports and vessels at the pirates mercy".
"Gentlefolk, if I may." began Malaclypse. Events had proceeded rapidly in the conference rooms, and he was attempting to gather his thougts even as he spoke.

"I agree with Brother Isaac that the "Letter of Censure" regarding the Asgard Warriors is of secondary importance now; and this heated discussion proves that we now have an issue of more importance. I will work on a draft, and submit it when we have come to some conclusions regarding the Nomad threat.

"As a point of order, it appears that we now have yet another motion before the Council, which was seconded by Brother Leroy. Should a contract be given to the Jupiter Guild for the defense of Omicron Delta?

"I would also like to "kill two birds", as they say, by amending that Motion. If we are to hire these Zoner Mercenaries, then it would seem only fitting that they be allowed a full voice as a Faction on this Council.

"Let me do my best to rephrase the Motion:

Should the Jupiter Guild be allowed both full Council of Zoners membership, and be allowed to act for Zoners in defense of Omicron Delta against any and all Nomad threats and incursions?

"If this amended motion meets the approval of Brothers Leroy and Isaac, then the TAZ will be the first to vote Yay in favor of the motion. I further stipulate that the issue of "who knew what and when" is really quite beside the point at this time. With apologies to Brother Smiley... when I grew up, unruly children knew they would be spanked, and grew up the better for it. I suggest it is time to administer that spankin'."
Tarlkor walked back in and sat down. "Denelo's on 'is way. He'll explain things to ya'll. Hope ya don't mind that he's bringin' guards though. He's got some enemies, my brother..."
Leroy Fenning simply said, "I vote yea. I think, however, that before we launch a full-scale hunt on the Harbinger, we gather as much information as we can. The bounty that's been posted may not be a good idea. I look forward to seeing what Mori has to say when he gets here."
"Well, as there do seem to be a lot of "grey" areas regarding this Nomad threat, I will defer to your suggestion, Brother Leroy. Brothers Smiley and Isaac also seem to have reservations; and Mori and Jinx should be allowed to present their cases." said Malaclypse.

"Let us then divide the issues once more. I withdraw my previous amended Motion, and move that we vote on the simple question of the Jupiter Guild:

Should the Jupiter Guild, through an assigned Delegate, be allowed full membership and voting rights on the Council of Zoners?

"The TAZ votes Yay. I believe we can count Brother Leroy's vote as a second and a Yay as well. Brother Isaac?"

"I will vote Yea on the matter as well. The JG should be allowed a delegate for matters in which they feel they are involved."

"However, a hunt is not necessarily what we want. It is the protection of freeport 11 and the others that we are most concerned with. We do not wish to stretch our resources too thin. Harbinger roams far and wide throughout the sector."

Sebastian chuckled to himself.

"No, you cannot kill it in the sense we think of it. We have seen harbinger 'killed' before, but the mentality endures. An identical nomad craft replaces it with the same memories and feelings. A new harbinger arises. Very curious indeed. If this is in fact true and there are not several of them, we can only hope to repulse it and, in time, frustrate it. Those more powerful than ourselves have tried and failed in its permanent destruction.

Nevertheless, I will move my personal craft to freeport 11 to help with the repairs and defense of the station."